List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

If he can stay fully fit over a full pre-season, I'd back him to do it. His career is on the line in the first half of 2025. If he screws up then Garcia, Windy, pick 7, pick 8 (maybe) will all overtake him, not to mention a Macrae or Peatling potentially
That's nothing different from this season and he still didn't come back in any new outstanding shape. Came back and spent the year looking like he drinks a 6 pack after every game and stay up until 2am most nights smoking a doobie and playing fortnite

If he can stay fully fit over a full pre-season, I'd back him to do it. His career is on the line in the first half of 2025. If he screws up then Garcia, Windy, pick 7, pick 8 (maybe) will all overtake him, not to mention a Macrae or Peatling potentially
The point i was making does he have the drive to do the work and maybe if he was fitter when pre season started he may have a better run with injuries so its up to him to do the work instead of always having an out

The Houston news is the best thing I have heard all week!!!

Honestly if we desparately want another back flanker we can take Travaglia at the draft. He is better over head and provides the same drive from defence. The major win is he is an 18yo and we would get 15 years service out of him rather than 6. Plus we have Hastie and McLennan developing well and will be including Hofmann, I think we will be well covered in that position.

Recruiting at the National Draft is not just about the following year, its about setting your club up for the next decade. We all want the club to improve, so how many opportunities do you think we will get of having 2 x early picks in a really strong draft. The best midfielders are nearly always taken in the top 10 of the draft or at least your gve your club the best chance.

What we do need are A grade or elite midfielders. With some fortune Windhager, Phillipou and Garcia make the grade. I dont think Henry has the game to become a full time mid but playing a few minutes here and there will also benefit. but wouldnt it be nice to add 2 x almost garuanteed mids to that group.
I don't see a single person on here acting like Clark is Dustin Martin. He's firmly in the "I have to perform each week to play" group, along with Byrnes and a few others. But he was playing well and contributing to on-field success (wins) in the second half of the season. We don't play one short when he's on the ground (or when he's off it for that matter - worth mentioning considering the TOG stick he gets whacked with).

Macrae comes in fit for Round 1, one of Clark, Jones or Dow won't be playing (assuming everyone else is still fit).

I beg to differ.

If you have a midfielder playing an average of 70 minutes of a 120 minute game someone else has to cover for him. We only ever go into a game with a max of 4 or 5 rotations. Clark not being able to run out games puts a lot of extra work load on his midfield team mates. He does well when he is out there apart from shutting down quick turn overs but we can live with that, he just needs to find the aerobic capacity to play out games.

Its like subbing him off every game midway through the 3rd quarter and not having a replacement.

Last edited:
According to Cal Twomey we have pulled out of the Houston race.

Thank goodness.

Sounds like we have a path to follow but were prepared to do some due diligence in this matter.

As well, the earlier reports that Houston had a preference to come to Moorabbin was nothing but twaddle. Probably whipped by Houston’s manager. Using our club as a Trojan horse.

Glad we have pulled out (if we were ever seriously in). Let’s hammer the draft before Tasmania hogs the thing from 2026.

Who has this two for one worked for ? Why ?.

There’s your answer.
Geelong paid more than that for jeremy cameron and I think they are pretty happy with him.
They also paid a first and change for dangerfield from memory?

I'm sure there's been other top players who have been traded for more than 1 first rounder that the club was happy with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes to the first part.

But the issue with that season wasn’t Ryder. The issue with that season is also why we feel like we screwed up the 2017 draft.

We had career years from the following:
Ben Long
Nick Coffield
Hunter Clark
Ben Paton
Dan Butler
Dougal Howard.

You could argue it was also Steele’s best season.

The first 4 mentioned should all be integral to our success today.

Long couldn’t keep away from suspension and poor form. The next 3 were hit with the injury wand and forever cursed.

Coffield for example, in his third season - 21 years old and 5th in a semi final sides BnF.

People talk at length at how we ****ed that draft up. But at the end of 2020 - it looked like we had hit a home run from the 2017 draft. Clark was looking like Pendlebury. Coffield like Hodge and Paton was looking like an elite small back.

A real sliding door moment for us. Throw in Steele looking like a superstar of the comp aswell and it was sky’s the limit.
hmmm.. we were decent and I was a slightly bullish, but nothing close to sky's the limit. Was more, this is a very weird year and we've done well out of it, but definitely need 3 more A graders minimum.

the paton drop off was the biggest bummer out of all of those imo, he looked legit AA class back pocket potential. Coff looked good too but there were still lots of question marks on his agility for a smaller defender

Melbourne offered 6, 11 and what turned out to be pick 6 this year as well for Reid. Scary thing is I reckon it may still have been worth it.

I wouldn't be against a cheeky offer of 7, 8 & 2025 1st for him. We have the cash and need a marquee player to put us on his back and give guys like Steele, Sinclair, Marshall etc a chance at a flag.

Add in Macrae who also instantly improves our midfield, why can't we challenge for a flag every year for the next 5 years?

Geelong paid more than that for jeremy cameron and I think they are pretty happy with him.
They also paid a first and change for dangerfield from memory?

I'm sure there's been other top players who have been traded for more than 1 first rounder that the club was happy with
That’s my point it only works when you’re in a position to top up. Are we 1 A grader away from a contending team or already contending and looking to push for a flag. No we’re not and as such we need to keep building through the draft and smart trading. If we reach the point where a player like that gives us a shot at a flag then I’ll back paying the price.

Take any three players you like and add them to our list and tell me if you’re putting every penny you have on the saints to win next years flag.

I don't think Stocker or Wood were considered injury busts.

Jesse Smith, Nathan Freeman, Dan Hannebury......

Wood couldn’t get his body right for years.

Hanners missed something like 4 games in the 4 years before he came to us.

Smith was worth a throw at the stumps for a pick in the 70’s

Freeman was just a sad case of a super talented kid totally mismanaged. Reckon he’ll sue the Filth one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melbourne offered 6, 11 and what turned out to be pick 6 this year as well for Reid. Scary thing is I reckon it may still have been worth it.

I wouldn't be against a cheeky offer of 7, 8 & 2025 1st for him. We have the cash and need a marquee player to put us on his back and give guys like Steele, Sinclair, Marshall etc a chance at a flag.

Add in Macrae who also instantly improves our midfield, why can't we challenge for a flag every year for the next 5 years?

The way Reid is going he will spend 30% of his career suspended. His ego is that huge he spends his entire game in dick measuring contests rather than playing footy. He reminds me of a young Toby Green, by the time he matures he will be nearly burnt out.

He is catching up with Rhys Mathieson in the off season

Nek minnit

RFnvw9H.jpeg

The Houston news is the best thing I have heard all week!!!

Honestly if we desparately want another back flanker we can take Travaglia at the draft. He is better over head and provides the same drive from defence. The major win is he is an 18yo and we would get 15 years service out of him rather than 6. Plus we have Hastie and McLennan developing well and will be including Hofmann, I think we will be well covered in that position.

Recruiting at the National Draft is not just about the following year, its about setting your club up for the next decade. We all want the club to improve, so how many opportunities do you think we will get of having 2 x early picks in a really strong draft. The best midfielders are nearly always taken in the top 10 of the draft or at least your gve your club the best chance.

What we do need are A grade or elite midfielders. With some fortune Windhager, Phillipou and Garcia make the grade. I dont think Henry has the game to become a full time mid but playing a few minutes here and there will also benefit. but wouldnt it be nice to add 2 x almost garuanteed mids to that group.

I beg to differ.

If you have a midfielder playing an average of 70 minutes of a 120 minute game someone else has to cover for him. We only ever go into a game with a max of 4 or 5 rotations. Clark not being able to run out games puts a lot of extra work load on his midfield team mates. He does well when he is out there apart from shutting down quick turn overs but we can live with that, he just needs to find the aerobic capacity to play out games.

Its like subbing him off every game midway through the 3rd quarter and not having a replacement.
Not to mention the complete lack of defensive pressure he's able to put on. Letting oppo mids just run away and get clear lanes I50

What if we did that and then he just walked to Collingwood as soon as he could in Free Agency

What if we did that and then he just walked to Collingwood as soon as he could in Free Agency
Limp noodle attitudes will get us nowhere.

We can't draft.
We can't do well from other club's players.
Nobody will come to us.
Players might leave us.

Reid to King (when he's not bursting through and kicking them himself)? Yeah that'll do me thanks. Would be the 3rd elite mid we've had in my lifetime, and while we have a gun key forward. Yes please. I used to rock up to Moorabbin every game just to watch Nicky and Plugger play. Would just about fly over from Japan for Harley and Max.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back