Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that's how it was in the early translations of the bible, where it was loaves and fishes, but fish in other parts But then it became fish for both. Language changes. Spelled is now more common that spelt and the oldies are going to have to deal with it.
5 loaves and 2 fish - think that was Matthew's wording. And his gospel is definitely the coolest.

We have snobbery baked into our language.

Back in the 17th-ish century when the scholars got together to harmonise the spelling of the language, they deliberately made some words a different spelling to their phonetics. This in effect separated the educated from the uneducated.

The word “debt” is an example.
It wasn't snobbery. They based it on a combination of meaning and phonetics - the intention for these multi-lingual folk was probably to make it easier to decode. Purely phonetic spelling is probably more snobby as it would have been based purely on the pronunciation of the upper class. Assumedly debt has the same root word as debit, hence the b. Pronunciation changes over time, so even if they went with purely phonetics for spelling, it'd be out of whack by now anyway - and most likely would have been out of whack with the plebs at the time and those in different parts of Britain.

Last edited:
you mean translation?
Yes. Matthew, or whoever wrote the scripture, would have pluralised it however it was pluralised in that language - irrelevant to what the plural was in earlier English. When it was translated into the early English bibles it was 'fishes' or something similar (probably an extra vowel). Other early English texts use fishes too. It was most likely standard at the time.

Yes. Matthew, or whoever wrote the scripture, would have pluralised it however it was pluralised in that language - irrelevant to what the plural was in earlier English. When it was translated into the early English bibles it was 'fishes' or something similar (probably an extra vowel). Other early English texts use fishes too. It was most likely standard at the time.
Wasn't the origin of this(rather silly) discussion the question of what was the general use of fish v fishes in earlier times, as in say early to mid 20th century versus today? I'd say the version of the Catholic Bible(not the King James please) at that time would be relevant. And that's 5 loaves/2 fish.

Wasn't the origin of this(rather silly) discussion the question of what was the general use of fish v fishes in earlier times, as in say early to mid 20th century versus today? I'd say the version of the Catholic Bible(not the King James please) at that time would be relevant. And that's 5 loaves/2 fish.

I thought an English bible at the time was blasphemous?

I'm just a simple heathen but if we're talking biblical miracles in the injury thread I'd trade all the loaves & fish for some healing (hamstrings, feet and knees for starters).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hooray! I’m the only person I know who thinks American English and spelling is a good thing, and I prefer it to the English usage we were taught. Although I still fall back on the latter when writing reports, etc, because Australians get very annoyed if American spelling is used. It’s a version of snobbery.
Then there's American usage.
For example, what we call an entree, Americans call a starter.
So far so good.
What we call a main course, Americans call an entree, which makes no sense given the meaning of the word in the original French.
Italians sensibly call them primi and secondi.

Then there's American usage.
For example, what we call an entree, Americans call a starter.
So far so good.
What we call a main course, Americans call an entree, which makes no sense given the meaning of the word in the original French.
Italians sensibly call then primi and secondi.
Italians call it manga tutto, which means eat it or else

Anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor about Carmichael and his concussions leading to medical retirement?
Well he hasn't trained or played since his last concussion & had 3 in a short space of time .. looks more likely to retire than continue based on that alone, if recent examples are anything to go by.

It wasn't snobbery. They based it on a combination of meaning and phonetics - the intention for these multi-lingual folk was probably to make it easier to decode. Purely phonetic spelling is probably more snobby as it would have been based purely on the pronunciation of the upper class. Assumedly debt has the same root word as debit, hence the b. Pronunciation changes over time, so even if they went with purely phonetics for spelling, it'd be out of whack by now anyway - and most likely would have been out of whack with the plebs at the time and those in different parts of Britain.

True, “debt” is from the Latin root which has a pronounced “b” in it, but it had lost the “b” in its pronunciation by the time we got to Middle English. The modus operandi was to take the spelling back to its Latin roots, which was a form of snobbery.

The raison d’être for us using French terms in the English language is to ooze snobbery.

True, “debt” is from the Latin root which has a pronounced “b” in it, but it had lost the “b” in its pronunciation by the time we got to Middle English. The modus operandi was to take the spelling back to its Latin roots, which was a form of snobbery.

The raison d’être for us using French terms in the English language is to ooze snobbery.
Ahhhh, the Latin root

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back