Injury 2024 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Club needs to be better at this, every single ITK poster on here was saying he was missing at least the last 3 games of the season but the club kept saying he was a chance for the last two weeks.
It’s driving me crazy honestly. What benefit do they get by pretending that him and Darcy are touch and go every week when everyone knows they’re no chance. They’re not fooling anyone.

It’s driving me crazy honestly. What benefit do they get by pretending that him and Darcy are touch and go every week when everyone knows they’re no chance. They’re not fooling anyone.

I don’t know where the wires are getting crossed between Merriman, JL and Brierty - but honestly the clubs approach to injuries as of late has been infuriating.
Our soft tissues etc are so much better since Weber, but the smoke and mirrors regarding selection, and also playing Darcy underdone multiple times, bringing back Pearce after 3 weeks off a broken arm etc are going to cost us finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know where the wires are getting crossed between Merriman, JL and Brierty - but honestly the clubs approach to injuries as of late has been infuriating.
Our soft tissues etc are so much better since Weber, but the smoke and mirrors regarding selection, and also playing Darcy underdone multiple times, bringing back Pearce after 3 weeks off a broken arm etc are going to cost us finals.
Not sure how many times it has to be repeated that the same thing was just as likely to happen to Pearce if they waited an extra month to bring him back. The break was in a completely different part of the arm and was always going to be a risk with a plate.

The wires aren't being crossed anywhere. Everyone in the club is on the same page regarding the severity of injuries. It's simply that they choose to pedal out a different story to the media than the reality for whatever reason.

Primary ruckman, best keyforward, arguable best keydefender. We had and still have a pretty healthy list in 2024. But those are probably the worst three to have under an injury cloud at this stage of the season...
That's what's ultimately cost the Dockers.

It's not that they're "mentally weak" to the point they can't handle it, it's that although they've had good availability all year (mostly), these 3 getting their injuries when it mattered most, the 3 most important structure wise players getting injured in that span has killed the momentum. Especially losing Treacy/Pearce. You could argue Darcy has had an indifferent year with his lack of fitness and pre-season. Injuries take their toll, no matter what and the game is brutal. Now you're at the pointy end and it's never been more crucial as a rising team to have your best player availability as you try and surge towards September footy. I get what Carlton did as the counter-argument with all their mad injuries, but they're not as young an outfit as the Dockers are, nor are they travelling far and wide every second week PLUS playing West Coast at their MOST putrid helps. They're still only on the cusp of the bottom 8 for all their supposed "leg ups". Injuries really hurt, in more ways than one.

What Freo's losing of their most important 3 players tells me is that the gap to bridge between being an inexperienced team pushing to become a September force and improving the squad so our bottom 6 are not the plodders we seem to have is still quite noticeable. It will shrink again in 2025, even though people don't want to hear that because.....30 odd years of pain and all that. I understand, I really do. I'm impatient as all the rest of you for that success too, but the team isn't 'ready' or good enough squad wise to cover those massive and crucial injuries. Not today. Tomorrow tells a different story.

Having Sean as the main ruck all year meant Jackson could have nailed that forward role without having the chop and change of inserting into the ruck every other game and having to tweak the tall forward set up. Doesn't help Jackson has been poor too for large chunks of this year - not holding contested marks like Treacy etc, but he would have had a solid enforcement with Treacy and Amiss and it maybe arguably improves his game if he isn't thrown around as much, especially rucking against the bigger opposition rucks. It's literally HUGE not having Treacy there right now as he is arguably the club's best current player. His year had been insane to that point, it's so heartbreaking and yet so sorrowfully familiar as a Freo fan.

That being said J-Lo and the club have done themselves no favours with some stubborn and rigid selecting of players that are replaceable: Banners, Jaeger etc. especially when their form or games have been iffy at best. And the ruck situation and the reluctance to try Reidy before the GWS game. The 2024 trade and draft period looms as a very important moment in time if Freo fail to make finals here (more likely than not...). But losing those 3 players at the business end has stuffed them right up the quoit, and it's affected them as much mentally as it has structurally. I reckon we win at least 2 of those games with both Treacy and Pearce available. Possibly even the Essendon game with Alex in defense before Josh went down. There's nothing like derailing your momentum like removing your best players when they were in imperious form!

Well, all in my opinion anyway.

Sean Darcy- Test
Odin Jones- Test
Alex Pearce- 2 weeks
Josh Treacy- 2 weeks
Josh Corbett- Season

Sean Darcy- Test
Odin Jones- Test
Alex Pearce- 2 weeks
Josh Treacy- 2 weeks
Josh Corbett- Season

So poetic having a fully healthy list again the minute our season is over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back