List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'd have been worse off this year without Owies on our list. I'd be surprised if we let him go, especially if the Martin talk is true, unless we bring in a decent replacement.

Itā€™s more about improving the list. Owies has been good but if we can get better wellā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

Read/listen about a lot going, Anyone heard of anyone coming?

There not much left via FA.

I really think we will mostly go to the draft along with 2-3 mature types via cheap trades, DFAs or even SSPs. We havenā€™t really brought in many kids in last few years and have had ONE debutant this year and ONE last year

Campo twins and 3-4 other kids as talk is itā€™s a good draft to have multiple picks

Iā€™d chase Barras but seems we arenā€™t. Says to me we donā€™t want to trade away picks

We get Jack & Doc back, hopefully a few of Oā€™Keefe Lemmey Wilson Binns Lord stepping up and we are in a good spot

Last edited:

One from left field is Sam Davidson from Richmond VFL - 23yo mid size forward with a great set of hands.

Since coming in from Gippsland the start of the year, he just keeps improving every week. Tiggs supporters not happy they didn't grab him in the MSD. Could be a good smoky as a late draft pick or rookie. Definitley an area of need for us.

For what itā€™s worth, Riley Beveridge said he now expects Martin to leave on Gettable.
Freo one club interested.

No doubt Jack will take the best offer presented to him.

I think we're finally waking up to not carrying so many constantly injured types.

The idea of a regularly healthy Jack Martin is always going to be tantalizing. It's not a fluke that the club transformed when he and Fogarty got added to our forward structure last year. But the reality is that a regularly healthy Jack Martin isn't something we've ever had nor is that likely to change moving forward.

Salary cap isn't as tight as some would have you believe but we can't go wasting it on players who you can't count on.

Well one would hope he could kick that far and accurately being a forward.

But team wise other than goals, what does he do well?

He couldn't kick them last year from that far out. I've lost count how many goals he missed out on from that distance last year. It's an important skill for a small to medium forward.

I don't believe Durdin or Motlop can consistently kick that far. Fogarty struggles from that distance. Cottrell, Elijah and Zac Williams are our only other small to medium forward options who I trust to kick goals from that distance.

Taking uncontested marks inside 50 when teams are triple teaming Curnow and Mckay. An art seemingly none of our other small fwds have figured out yet

This. Unlike our other forwards, he knows where to find the space and how to take advantage of it. His basketball background (where he was the primary playmaker as a point guard, occasional off guard) has taught him how to think a play or two ahead most of the time offensively.

His biggest weaknesses are a lack of sufficient defensive pressure and contested marking.

He couldn't kick them last year from that far out. I've lost count how many goals he missed out on from that distance last year. It's an important skill for a small to medium forward.

I don't believe Durdin or Motlop can consistently kick that far. Fogarty struggles from that distance. Cottrell, Elijah and Zac Williams are our only other small to medium forward options who I trust to kick goals from that distance.

This. Unlike our other forwards, he knows where to find the space and how to take advantage of it. His basketball background (where he was the primary playmaker as a point guard, occasional off guard) has taught him how to think a play or two ahead most of the time offensively.

His biggest weaknesses are a lack of sufficient defensive pressure and contested marking.
Iā€™ll be hoping we trade him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The goals part is kind of important all by itself. So far this year:

Curnow 56
McKay 44
Owies 27
Cripps 15
Williams 14
Kennedy 14
E Hollands 13

Everyone else has less than 10.

I agree with those who'd like to see Owies get more consistently involved in the rest of the game, but if we lose him we're losing a significant scoring avenue.

He stubs his toe pretty well when attempting to kick the ball to win the game for us.....he's good at that.

Missing 20m passes under no pressure he's also perfected. That missed pass to Saad in the last minute of the Demons game in 2022 to give them a goal/victory, and deny us a final 8 spot still gives me nightmares.

Unpopular opinion, but I don't rate him at all. Frustrates the **** out of me - which is even more evident when you see him live. Even Dermie was scathing toward him in the Port game on SEN on more than one occassion....which I was glad to hear, because it just reinforced what I was actually witnessing. Again.

I'm also hoping we trade him - especially right now when the small forward free agent market has dried up, and he may hold some draft capital.

Curnow 56
McKay 44
Owies 27
Cripps 15
Williams 14
Kennedy 14
E Hollands 13

I agree with those who'd like to see Owies get more consistently involved in the rest of the game, but if we lose him we're losing a significant scoring avenue.
I donā€™t think we will miss much at all if we trade him. His impact is bare minimum.

People can talk up him kicking goals all they want, I think he is bog average. Those goals will be found elsewhere in 2025.

He stubs his toe pretty well when attempting to kick the ball to win the game for us.....he's good at that.

Missing 20m passes under no pressure he's also perfected. That missed pass to Saad in the last minute of the Demons game in 2022 to give them a goal/victory, and deny us a final 8 spot still gives me nightmares.

Unpopular opinion, but I don't rate him at all. Frustrates the **** out of me - which is even more evident when you see him live. Even Dermie was scathing toward him in the Port game on SEN on more than one occassion....which I was glad to hear, because it just reinforced what I was actually witnessing. Again.

I'm also hoping we trade him - especially right now when the small forward free agent market has dried up, and he may hold some draft capital.
Wow, he kicks goals. We he damn well should being at the heals of Charlie and Harry. But most of the time he is just running around in circles doing sweet **** all. Give me a forward who can find the ball at least.

I agree with everything you have posted and of all the good goals he has kicked, he has made much much more errors and goes missing more often than not.

Curnow 56
McKay 44
Owies 27
Cripps 15
Williams 14
Kennedy 14
E Hollands 13

Shows how good Williams has been in the role in only the half a dozen games he played there ...

There not much left via FA.

I really think we will mostly go to the draft along with 2-3 mature types via cheap trades, DFAs or even SSPs. We havenā€™t really brought in many kids in last few years and have had ONE debutant this year and ONE last year

Campo twins and 3-4 other kids as talk is itā€™s a good draft to have multiple picks

Iā€™d chase Barras but seems we arenā€™t. Says to me we donā€™t want to trade away picks

We get Jack & Doc back, hopefully a few of Oā€™Keefe Lemmey Wilson Binns Lord stepping up and we are in a good spot
I think he'd slot in very well but with Hawthorn chasing him and WC contract for another 3 years, we'd be paying stupid overs to get him. I'd imagine it wouldn't be as hard to get J McGov for a couple of years, even if he still has a year left on his contract.

I think he'd slot in very well but with Hawthorn chasing him and WC contract for another 3 years, we'd be paying stupid overs to get him. I'd imagine it wouldn't be as hard to get J McGov for a couple of years, even if he still has a year left on his contract.

We don't have the cap space, unless we move on decent players

I more meant re Durdin and Motlop that they'll be where the club looks at natural improvement to make up for an Owies departure. Williams looked fantastic as a small forward this year but I'm not sure we could bank on him improving a heap given injuries and age.

Imo a player like Joe Berry could be a first year upgrade on Owies from the draft, may not kick as many goals as him but he looks to have every tool in the small forward kit outside of taking hangars and would improve our defensive pressure, delivery inside 50 and our ground ball game inside 50.

It's a bit of an odd year for us though. We've heard about a few names that may be moved on from the media, but 0 about any players coming in outside of our early interest in Hayward.
Iā€™ve just got a feeling that Bailey Banfield might be someone we could be looking at.

Iā€™ve just got a feeling that Bailey Banfield might be someone we could be looking at.

Would be somewhat ironic if they went after Martin and/or Owies and we went that way.

Durds and Mots have both kicked goals from the 50. Williams aside, and to a lesser extent Orazio they are among our better goalkickers. Cottrell is also a decent kick from near the arc.

I still maintain we deploy our small forwards too much defensively and overlook the offensive needs. Owies cut his teeth as an excellent defensive player, but has transformed in to a more opportunistic scorer. This is perhaps more by coachā€™s design than his own doing. Even noted goal scorer Fantasia has been deployed as a defensive HHF rather than primarily as a scoring option.

We have great weapons in Charlie and Harry, but many share my view that we are far too reliant on them and deploy our peripheral players a little too negatively. Again it is designed to cover for our mids lack of defensive running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back