List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair. McDonald may be okay? Kolo will stay at Cats

Keays is a good player but IMO not the type we need or much better than what we have

Whatā€™s your knock on Keays? As in why donā€™t you think heā€™s the type?

He kicks more goals than our forwards, gets more possessions than our forwards and tackles more than our forwards.

His numbers this year are similar to Hollands, slightly less possessions but more goals and more tackles.

As a free hit, heā€™s a decent upgrade. As youā€™ve mentioned you donā€™t think we want to trade picks and thereā€™s players there who fill a need for us and upgrade our list.

I see a lot of posters praise Fogs efforts, Keays smacks him. Heā€™s also kicked more goals this year than any of our small/medium forwards.

Cumming would be good for us too, but not so much of a need.

He kicks more goals than our forwards, gets more possessions than our forwards and tackles more than our forwards.

His numbers this year are similar to Hollands, slightly less possessions but more goals and more tackles.

As a free hit, heā€™s a decent upgrade. As youā€™ve mentioned you donā€™t think we want to trade picks and thereā€™s players there who fill a need for us and upgrade our list.

I see a lot of posters praise Fogs efforts, Keays smacks him. Heā€™s also kicked more goals this year than any of our small/medium forwards.

Not against him as a player. Just think he's another worker which we have. IMO we need genuine X factor up forward and some leg speed fwd/mid.

Docherty is a gun, Hollands will get a lot better, we have Moir Monahan Fogarty Cottrell in that role. Adding more of the same would really unbalance our list unless we remove a few?

Personally, I just don't see him as a priority or desperate need. Just my opinion

Not against him as a player. Just think he's another worker which we have. IMO we need genuine X factor up forward and some leg speed fwd/mid.

Docherty is a gun, Hollands will get a lot better, we have Moir Monahan Fogarty Cottrell in that role. Adding more of the same would really unbalance our list unless we remove a few?

Personally, I just don't see him as a priority or desperate need. Just my opinion
Oh Iā€™d love an X factor type but as weā€™ve discussed, there arenā€™t any free agents that offer that and to get a player like that via trade, it would cost a lot picks wise.

I thought Keays was fast and based in n previous seasons he can really assist the midfield.

Moir, Monaghan, Fogarty and Cottrell are a long way off in comparison.

im sure other options will come up in time and Iā€™ll be happy if we strengthen the team regardless of the names.

But by adding bankable commodities like a free agent, gives you much better flexibility at the draft to go after an X factor type like you mentioned.

Keays is a worker bee. We have enough of them. Isnā€™t very skilful, can be a bit undisciplined, and can be described as an ā€œaccumulatorā€ rather than an impact player. Reckon he would become a whipping boy if he came to the club anyway, couldnā€™t be more certain

Keays is a worker bee. We have enough of them. Isnā€™t very skilful, can be a bit undisciplined, and can be described as an ā€œaccumulatorā€ rather than an impact player. Reckon he would become a whipping boy if he came to the club anyway, couldnā€™t be more certain

Keays has more speed, endurance and grunt than any of our forwards. Wanted him when the Lions delisted him, would still take him now

Be worth it just to stop him kicking 3 goals against us yet again.

Would be a good get, can play both midfield and half forward.

Quotes from Gettable.

If we trade Owies and Carrol i feel Austin has learnt nothing, $$$$ aside, you dont trade out reliable players and rely on injury prone players to cover their loss.

We all know Owies limitations but wed also know what he brings and he brings better output than Durdin and Fantasia.

Same goes for Carrol, Carrol has played 13 times this season, thatā€™s 13 games because the coaching staff thought he was the best option, trade him, then who are you relying on?

We are in with a real chance of a premiership this season and for the next few, we need a good solid 28 players, who can withstand the rigours and pressure of AFL, you dont do this by keeping injury prone players and trading your solid citizens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keays has more speed, endurance and grunt than any of our forwards. Wanted him when the Lions delisted him, would still take him now
Cool. Iā€™ve always viewed Keays as Adelaideā€™s version of Ed Curnow. All heart, grunt and effort. He will have games he will tear apart (like Ed against Freo in 2019), and look like a champion doing it. But when the crows are competing deep into finals, he will (and almost certainly will be) either in the reserves or at another club.

Re: Owies,
Surprised at some of the disdain but to each their own, IMO he's comfortably outperforming some more naturally gifted players.
Our forward set-up is essentially structured to maximise 1v1 for Charlie.
H & the smalls tend to have to sacrifice for this to work but the problem is the opposition often sags off the other forwards, H aside, in order to get another body on or near Charlie.

If we looked for hit up options, got Charlie moving & created avenues for people to lead into, our forwardline would be more functional & a helluva lot less predictable.
Noting possession tallies, when we don't kick the ball to them very often, doesn't make much sense.

That said, there's a reluctance to trade anything/one of value on here, Owies may get us a meaningful return, someone not contributing as much, obviously will not.

If we trade Owies and Carrol i feel Austin has learnt nothing, $$$$ aside, you dont trade out reliable players and rely on injury prone players to cover their loss.

We all know Owies limitations but wed also know what he brings and he brings better output than Durdin and Fantasia.

Same goes for Carrol, Carrol has played 13 times this season, thatā€™s 13 games because the coaching staff thought he was the best option, trade him, then who are you relying on?

We are in with a real chance of a premiership this season and for the next few, we need a good solid 28 players, who can withstand the rigours and pressure of AFL, you dont do this by keeping injury prone players and trading your solid citizens.
If we do trade them out, I don't think we'd be relying on injury prone players to cover them.
Likely all of Martin, Cuningham, Marchbank, Durdin, Mirkov and Matt Carroll aren't on the list in 2025.

If we trade Owies, we'd be getting something valuable back, and saving more money than what Durdin would be on. Durdin is more talented, faster, and 5 years younger than Owies. Fantasia has 1 year left of a minimum contract.

I really like Carroll, and would prefer to keep him.
But he hasn't come on quite as much as we would have liked, and pace wise may be too similar to our already slow midfield.

Well we will see how the next 2 months play out then
I was being a little cheeky. But my point is that despite his flaws as a footballer, he's still a valuable player and I would be hesitant to move on from him unless we have a concrete guarantee of getting in an upgrade. At this stage, we'd most likely get a 2nd rounder for him. Not sure that's enough for us to be able to secure a player better than him. Therefore I'd rather re-sign him and draft a small forward (Joe Berry pls) with our first rounder.

100% agree.

We seem to have a number of good/handy options but NO game breakers. Motlop is a maybe. I have no idea about Moir.

A Hill, Stengle, Cameron type would be a game changer. Fogarty Williams would then be great in support

IMO this highlights issue in our list and why I believe this off season is massive for us. We have a number of players that "maybe" able to step up and in so many positions. No one really knows how good Motlop Durdin Ollie Cowan Lemmey O'Keefe Kemp Carroll Monahan Moir Wilson will be. Judgements will need to be made when buidling our list

Off season will be very interesting

We look like a club that is going well but still rebuilding. There are still a lot of gap fillers in our regular senior team. The reason for our success is that we have elite top end talent, our gap fillers are ok, we don't have heaps of gaps, sometimes we haven't had too many gaps because our injury prone players were fit and playing well (Martin, Marchbank, Cuningham etc all playing end of last season).

It's up for list management to fill those gaps.

Challenge is we haven't got forever. Clock is ticking loudly.

Acres is 28, Cripps 29, Saad 30, McGovern 29. Quite a lot of key players in that 26-27 age range.

Here's our challenge if we want to win a premiership with this group. Find premiership quality CHB, 3 forwards and 2 onballers before this group gets too old and is past it. Because if we don't, that needs list gets bigger and bigger and eventually gets to the point where it becomes that big we are back in an extensive rebuild.

How long do we have? That depends how long our mature core players can keep playing top level football.

Are we a bit behind with our rebuild? Yep. We built an onball group that probably suited football 4 years ago, big heavy bodies. It lacks pace and that comes down to the recruiters. Not having that CHB comes down to too much faith shown in Marchbank, really should have been dealt with a long time ago. When we were developing Curnow, McKay and Weitering. As for the small/medium forward issue. We have left that till later which is fine. History shows that when eventual premiers rebuild that the final pieces generally are small/medium forwards.

Our challenge is to make up for lost ground and get the players we need. We might not be able to get them and that will hurt for us. It will put the breaks on our progress. Or maybe we do get them and we win the flag next season. As you said it's going to be a very interesting off season.

As for this season, our chances of winning the flag are getting harder and harder. It's going to come down to us still being able to make the top 4 and by sheer luck, have all the players we need come back into the side for finals and play well. That means we get a quality finals series out of Marchbank, Martin, Williams and Dekoning... Probably even Docherty. I think there's a combination of players who can win a flag for us this season but it's not many combinations and that combination needs to be fit. The thing is we can fill the holes we have, but we can't fill them for long because those players just aren't able to play football that long. Can we do it? Doggies did a somewhat similar thing in 2016. So yeah we can. But it's going to take the amount of luck which simply can not be relied on.

McGovern Weitering Boyd
Saad Marchbank Newman
Acres Cripps Hollands
Williams Curnow E Hollands
Martin McKay Motlop
DeKoning Walsh Cerra
Docherty/Cowan Kennedy/Hewett Cincotta Owies
Kemp

I think this is roughly the combination of players which can do it. Startin 18 definitely. Once you start taking players out of that 18 and replacing them, we start dropping off. As we can all see there are a heap of players here who can not be relied upon to be fit and available. This definitely means we have not been at our best all season. IMO our best is good enough, but we haven't ever fielded it.

Going into next year we will have to make a side that is this quality or better without Marchbank, Martin, Kennedy/Hewett plus adding some depth if we want that elusive flag.

Last edited:
Not sure why we havenā€™t offered Owies a contract yet but CDurdin we have who is injury prone.

Martin/Carrol I get that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Has it been confirmed that we haven't?

Durdin may well have taken what was offered & perhaps Owies is seeing what's on offer.

If we do trade them out, I don't think we'd be relying on injury prone players to cover them.
Likely all of Martin, Cuningham, Marchbank, Durdin, Mirkov and Matt Carroll aren't on the list in 2025.

If we trade Owies, we'd be getting something valuable back, and saving more money than what Durdin would be on. Durdin is more talented, faster, and 5 years younger than Owies. Fantasia has 1 year left of a minimum contract.

I really like Carroll, and would prefer to keep him.
But he hasn't come on quite as much as we would have liked, and pace wise may be too similar to our already slow midfield.

If we traded Owies and got a second and got Keats as a FA, id hail Austin, but if we just take the pick then i think it sets us back.

Im not the biggest fan of Carrol but heā€™s our best option currently for depth, the cupboard is pretty bare in terms of midfield back up in the 2s

We look like a club that is going well but still rebuilding. There are still a lot of gap fillers in our regular senior team. The reason for our success is that we have elite top end talent, our gap fillers are ok, we don't have heaps of gaps, sometimes we haven't had too many gaps because our injury prone players were fit and playing well (Martin, Marchbank, Cuningham etc all playing end of last season).

It's up for list management to fill those gaps.

Challenge is we haven't got forever. Clock is ticking loudly.

Acres is 28, Cripps 29, Saad 30, McGovern 29. Quite a lot of key players in that 26-27 age range.

Here's our challenge if we want to win a premiership with this group. Find premiership quality CHB, 3 forwards and 2 onballers before this group gets too old and is past it. Because if we don't, that needs list gets bigger and bigger and eventually gets to the point where it becomes that big we are back in an extensive rebuild.

How long do we have? That depends how long our mature core players can keep playing top level football.

Are we a bit behind with our rebuild? Yep. We built an onball group that probably suited football 4 years ago, big heavy bodies. It lacks pace and that comes down to the recruiters. Not having that CHB comes down to too much faith shown in Marchbank, really should have been dealt with a long time ago. When we were developing Curnow, McKay and Weitering. As for the small/medium forward issue. We have left that till later which is fine. History shows that when eventual premiers rebuild that the final pieces generally are small/medium forwards.

Our challenge is to make up for lost ground and get the players we need. We might not be able to get them and that will hurt for us. It will put the breaks on our progress. Or maybe we do get them and we win the flag next season. As you said it's going to be a very interesting off season.

As for this season, our chances of winning the flag are getting harder and harder. It's going to come down to us still being able to make the top 4 and by sheer luck, have all the players we need come back into the side for finals and play well. That means we get a quality finals series out of Marchbank, Martin, Williams and Dekoning... Probably even Docherty. I think there's a combination of players who can win a flag for us this season but it's not many combinations and that combination needs to be fit. The thing is we can fill the holes we have, but we can't fill them for long because those players just aren't able to play football that long. Can we do it? Doggies did a somewhat similar thing in 2016. So yeah we can. But it's going to take the amount of luck which simply can not be relied on.

McGovern Weitering Boyd
Saad Marchbank Newman
Acres Cripps Hollands
Williams Curnow E Hollands
Martin McKay Motlop
DeKoning Walsh Cerra
Docherty/Cowan Kennedy/Hewett Cincotta Owies
Kemp

I think this is roughly the combination of players which can do it. Startin 18 definitely. Once you start taking players out of that 18 and replacing them, we start dropping off. As we can all see there are a heap of players here who can not be relied upon to be fit and available. This definitely means we have not been at our best all season. IMO our best is good enough, but we haven't ever fielded it.

Going into next year we will have to make a side that is this quality or better without Marchbank, Martin, Kennedy/Hewett plus adding some depth if we want that elusive flag.

Great post!!!

I have felt for a while our list is very unbalanced. I am also concerned about the ages of our genuine stars. The window is NOW for them

Get our best side on the park and we can beat anyone

It's why is say this years trade/draft period is vital. Not only do we need to fill holes now but we need an injection of youth.

It's such a fine line

If we traded Owies and got a second and got Keats as a FA, id hail Austin, but if we just take the pick then i think it sets us back.

Im not the biggest fan of Carrol but heā€™s our best option currently for depth, the cupboard is pretty bare in terms of midfield back up in the 2s

Although we haven't been linked to anyone since Hayward, everything points to us knowing/wanting to boost the forwardline with a similar type.
I doubt Austin is sitting on his hands.
That's not to say we'll get that player, but I'm sure they're trying, and having the option to trade Owies rather than locking him up makes sense.

Not heaps of mid depth, but Doc should be back, a full pre-season into Lord, Ben Campo, who knows with Binns.

Great post!!!

I have felt for a while our list is very unbalanced. I am also concerned about the ages of our genuine stars. The window is NOW for them

Get our best side on the park and we can beat anyone

It's why is say this years trade/draft period is vital. Not only do we need to fill holes now but we need an injection of youth.

It's such a fine line
Yep. I feel like we needed to address more last trade period. We definitely need to rectify a few issues(somehow) this year imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back