List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2nd KPD is a very interesting one. Other than Weiters, who is the stopper? Marchbank/McGovern/Kemp all can peel off well, but we need one of them to be able to play a more disciplined role when required.

I don't think this is McG, and he's got the best disposal of the 3. I think Marchbank has the best size to do so.

Marchbank showed at the pointy end of the season that he can play the stopper role as the 2nd KPD.

Regarding Weiters. If needed, S Durdin and Lewis Young would be our next in line for that role....in that order.

The 2nd KPD is a very interesting one. Other than Weiters, who is the stopper? Marchbank/McGovern/Kemp all can peel off well, but we need one of them to be able to play a more disciplined role when required.

I don't think this is McG, and he's got the best disposal of the 3. I think Marchbank has the best size to do so.
My read on it is we're kind of looking at two groups, keys (D1 & D2) and hybrids (3rds). Kemp mentioned on that podcast that he was training as more of a hybrid than a key, so he's probably in that second group now.

Key: Weitering, Marchbank (D2 only), Durdin, Young
Hybrid: McGovern, Kemp (and I'd think there's potentially a chance Cowan could play the 3rd role at a pinch)

I'd guess, based off recent training reports & the end of season team, that our 1st choice defenders are Weitering, Marchbank, McGovern, Newman, Williams, Saad, Boyd.

My read on it is we're kind of looking at two groups, keys (D1 & D2) and hybrids (3rds). Kemp mentioned on that podcast that he was training as more of a hybrid than a key, so he's probably in that second group now.

Hybrid: McGovern, Kemp (and I'd think there's potentially a chance Cowan could play the 3rd role at a pinch)

I'd guess, based off recent training reports & the end of season team, that our 1st choice defenders are Weitering, Marchbank, McGovern, Newman, Williams, Saad, Boyd.

I read it differently. I think hybrid means he can play tall or small so can play D2 if required. Going by last year we are only looking at playing one genuine key back with multiple hybrids. It's what several of the best teams are doing as it allows for more mobility and few teams have multiple gorilla forwards. I suspect the pecking order is:

Key (D1): Weitering, Young, Durdin
Hybrid (D2 & D3) - McGovern, Marchbank Kemp

So Weitering plus 2 of McGovern, Marchbank, Kemp. Obviously if there are injuries, we might have to tweak that structure but suspect that's first preference.

Agree with your list of first choice defenders although it will be interesting to see if Cowan can displace Boyd. He has been talked up on here but hasn't been seen much in match sim during the open training sessions.

Rarely do teams have a second big key forward who is too big for Marchbank. There are a handful who do but that hasn't really become an issue for us.

If it does then Sam Durdin is first cab off the rank followed by Young.

I think Durdin was awfully close to playing in the prelim. They went with Marchbank who looked fine on the bigger forwards.

I'm not against a shorter key defender. Guys like May and back in the day Manton for us have done really well. Ball hits the ground and they deal with it better, get on their bike as we go forward. As long as they can do it.

I think our backline has worked well in regards to height, it hasn't always had enough run to compete with the elite.

Rarely do teams have a second big key forward who is too big for Marchbank. There are a handful who do but that hasn't really become an issue for us.

If it does then Sam Durdin is first cab off the rank followed by Young.

I think Durdin was awfully close to playing in the prelim. They went with Marchbank who looked fine on the bigger forwards.

I'm not against a shorter key defender. Guys like May and back in the day Manton for us have done really well. Ball hits the ground and they deal with it better, get on their bike as we go forward. As long as they can do it.

I think our backline has worked well in regards to height, it hasn't always had enough run to compete with the elite.
Yeah I think this is true. I think it'd be cool to see Weiters 'freed up' to read the play and intercept. But he does very well in his current role anyway.

Yeah I think this is true. I think it'd be cool to see Weiters 'freed up' to read the play and intercept. But he does very well in his current role anyway.

You could argue playing on the opposition's best forward gives him more chance to intercept. If Weitering goes onto the 2nd/3rd guy there is a good chance they play a negating role or the opposition just avoids kicking near him. Teams can't afford to do that if he's playing on the no.1.

The best defenders these days shut down the opposition's best and intercept. May does it, Taylor does it, Moore does it (with slightly less emphasis on defence). Weitering can too and that's precisely what makes him so valuable.

Not sure Weiters needs much freeing up tbh. He literally had the most intercept marks of any player in 2023 (97, second was Harris Andrews with 90). If you prefer averages over totals he had 3.7 per game which is equal 4th across the league.

Genuine gun.

Not sure Weiters needs much freeing up tbh. He literally had the most intercept marks of any player in 2023 (97, second was Harris Andrews with 90). If you prefer averages over totals he had 3.7 per game which is equal 4th across the league.

Genuine gun.

And didn't start the year well in that regard. From round 8 or so onwards he'd probably be 1st.

Key defence is our biggest concern in my opinion.
The style we are now playing helps minimise the weakness, but it is a concern and ideally I'd like us to take the game on a bit more.

Hard to say whether freeing him up is a good thing, having him on the better and more targeted forwards puts him in the action and where the ball is going more. Having him on a second or third tall forward, you may see teams go to more efforts to take him away from the contest. I don't know what works better but I really like him in the main forwards.

I think having a lot of taller players around him like Marchbank, McGovern and Kemp allows him to play on those really good forwards but drop off them and let the others do the defending or simple allow those others to drop off and intercept. In my eyes that makes us a little less predictable spreading that intercepting load over a number of players.

Will be interesting to see how many games Durdin plays next season. Just appears to be rated. He's going to be far too good in the VFL each week should he stay injury free. Does he come in when the opposition have a quality second tall forward who is 200cm+? Would have to be considered.

Very big year for Jack Martin coming up imo. 13 games in 2023, 12 in 2022 and 11 in 2021. OOC at the end of 2024 and turns 29 this month.

With the addition of Moir, E Hollands and Fantasia to our list in this off season, spots in the forward line won’t be as easy to come by. Yes Moir is a kid and coming off an injury interrupted 2023, but he has a heap of talent and if given a chance throughout the 2024 season could be difficult to displace.

I’m a fan of Martin and think he brings a lot to our team when playing and in form, but feel he would be under some pressure going into his final year of a 5 year contract without living up to the hype I think we all hoped to see him deliver.

Very big year for Jack Martin coming up imo. 13 games in 2023, 12 in 2022 and 11 in 2021. OOC at the end of 2024 and turns 29 this month.

With the addition of Moir, E Hollands and Fantasia to our list in this off season, spots in the forward line won’t be as easy to come by. Yes Moir is a kid and coming off an injury interrupted 2023, but he has a heap of talent and if given a chance throughout the 2024 season could be difficult to displace.

I’m a fan of Martin and think he brings a lot to our team when playing and in form, but feel he would be under some pressure going into his final year of a 5 year contract without living up to the hype I think we all hoped to see him deliver.
Absolutely it is. List spots are at an all time premium. Other than a couple of rookies, we have no players who “scream” that this year will be their swan song.

Jack is one of those players who find themself out of contract, and very much in perform or perish mode. The upside is that, when fit, Martin is absolutely best 22(23) and brings both a hard edge and innate game sense to the team. He has had a career long battle with soft tissue injuries. I don’t think it is speaking out of school to suggest that his preparation has been less than optimum over that journey. In recent years, he has appeared “stiff” in his movements, either protecting his suspect body or literally unable to bend and flex to an optimum standard.

We could debate the reasoning, but in the latter part of last year, his movement and overall output were better than they have been for years. The prospect of playing in a flag side, the approaching contract year, simple team buy in or success of programs set by one “Jack” Russell or even therapies reputedly sought out by his wife. Something appears to have “clicked”.

The run Jack enjoyed in the back end of the season was heartening for player, club and supporters. If he can build on it and remain on the park for the majority of 2024, there is little doubt he will receive a new contract. Players of his calibre are not moved on prematurely without good reason. He has been a favourite of mine since entering the competition with monumental hype. I am not usually one to jump on the bandwagon of hyped youn indigenous players as many are. I prefer to see substance over highlights reels. Martin was one who already had extra layers on his undoubted talent. His current skipper was quoted as saying he was the most talented junior he played with. Unfortunately Jack was recruited to the new club and very loose culture of the Gold Coast Suns. He was a poster boy for the club long before his injury delayed debut. He was mollycoddled through his formative years and fair to say developed a level of entitlement. He went from fan favourite to whipping boy prior to his departure from the Suns. We will never know exactly what transpired on the coast, as we will never know the levels of expectation that were (or weren’t) applied to Martin after he joined the Blues after some quite infamous posturing by SOS to secure his signature.

Fair to say he became one of our whipping boys for his failure to get on the ground in sustainable physical condition in the back half of ‘23. His “renaissance” was clearly off the back of some sustained and patient conditioning and it is to be hoped, is now at a sustainable level. There has been little mention of his progression through our early pre season, when his condition is absolutely paramount to our 2024 prospects. Jack Martin having a sustained and thorough pre season conditioning is surely integral to our premiership aspirations. I, for one, would welcome more positive feedback on his pre season efforts.

I would love some feedback from those posters who have been able to attend our pre Christmas sessions and have raved of the efforts of Walshy, Dutchy, TDK and the draftees. The training consistency of Martin, Williams, Cuningham, McGovern and a couple of others who have made the rehab group their norm in recent times is perhaps more relevant.

As touched in by HCJ, we now have a number of medium forward options at various stages of development, as well as experienced small forward Fantasia, who it is hoped can have a positive influence on the group as well as performing himself. Initially I expect Elijah Hollands to be as much forward as midfielder, Ashton Moir is fascinating, if he realises his potential, we have a generational talent on our hands. I am expecting a slow burn as the build his body and his confidence in the track and at the lower level. Irishman Monahan is getting some great press as he attempts to fast track his integration to our game and offers some extra hope for our next generation. We also have a couple of other players who could be repurposed forward of centre given their relative skill sets and team balance.

While we have some great options for our next generation, it is fair to say that if Martin can stay in the park and “bring it” through 2024, he has his destiny in his own hands. Just as a small aside, do any posters have any insight to the contentment levels of Jack and family in Melbourne? Does he harbour any thoughts of returning to the west, which may bring trade suggestions in to play?

If Martin reaches his potential we are so much better.

IMO our number one issues was easy goals or kicking big scores against good opposition. Firstly because of options and secondly because of connection.

Charlie & McKay are great but we need other options and we need to know how to use them.

Martin Fantasia Motlop Moir Docherty Durdin Owies Monahan E.Hollands Cuningham Fogarty is an exciting bunch with lots of different skills

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could argue playing on the opposition's best forward gives him more chance to intercept. If Weitering goes onto the 2nd/3rd guy there is a good chance they play a negating role or the opposition just avoids kicking near him. Teams can't afford to do that if he's playing on the no.1.

The best defenders these days shut down the opposition's best and intercept. May does it, Taylor does it, Moore does it (with slightly less emphasis on defence). Weitering can too and that's precisely what makes him so valuable.

I really believe that S.Durdin will play if fit. He is a bloody good defender. Calm and rarely beaten. Last pre season I saw him beat Charlie & McKay numerous times.

If he takes the best forward, allows Weitering to play on 2nd best and be more attacking we will be better. McGovern & Marchbank fight for the third tall spot

IMO our number one issues was easy goals or kicking big scores against good opposition. Firstly because of options and secondly because of connection.

Charlie & McKay are great but we need other options and we need to know how to use them.

Martin Fantasia Motlop Moir Docherty Durdin Owies Monahan E.Hollands Cuningham Fogarty is an exciting bunch with lots of different skills
I hope this comes on substantially in 2024

Easy goals are essential - in the recent years, we have worked too hard for our goals, it's taxing!
We now have the team and the individuals to have more options and score a lot faster and easier

We definitely showed for the first time in over a decade that we could score and win games with a little less effort. Easy goals are a sign that you're playing well as a team. Moving the ball well, forwards are reading the ball coming in well, ball movement is challenging the opposition's team defence and the entries and the forward's positioning is putting the defenders under pressure and forcing them do defend.

I thought that when we moved the ball aggressively, quickly and cleanly our forwards scored fairly comfortably and it brought the small and medium forwards into the game more.

I think we have the talent there to score well against good opposition teams. I think we have done well at increasing the talent. I think the biggest area we need to improve on is our run from defence and the midfield. Modern footy is so much about getting into position quicker than the opposition. Transitioning from a defensive structure to an offensive structure and vice versa. Then generating fast ball movement from that good positioning, from getting numbers forward quickly and creating corridor play, run and carry etc.

I think we have the talent in the backline now, we ran out there later last season, we need to find that run in the middle but there are options for that so it's really exciting.

One more player in the middle who can play footy and get up and down the ground all day at speed makes us a very very dangerous side IMO.

The other side to us needing good ball movement is how Harry and Charlie force opposition sides to be more defensive minded. We will have numbers pushed back harder than other side, players sat behind the ball more than most sides get. Teams will put more effort into flooding back against us because we have those two quality marking targets. Means we have to be extra good when it comes to ball movement.

I think Williams back, Marchbank fit, Cowan another season in, O Hollands another season in, Fantasia recruited, E Hollands recruited, Martin fit, another season into Binns, Cuningham Fit, Wilson and Moir quality young players, Cincotta having an AFL preseason, Some good momentum for Boyd. You can see where the improvement hopefully comes from.

I really believe that S.Durdin will play if fit. He is a bloody good defender. Calm and rarely beaten. Last pre season I saw him beat Charlie & McKay numerous times.

If he takes the best forward, allows Weitering to play on 2nd best and be more attacking we will be better. McGovern & Marchbank fight for the third tall spot

Durdin is one of a handful that if they get a good run at it can find themselves comfortably in the best 22.

Good problems to have.

Cunners is the one who really needs to pull a big year out of his clacker otherwise he's cactus-stuffus. Spends an awful amount of time injured and when he isn't can't maintain his form for more than a week or two.

If you look at the second Carlton v coll game (as I did last night), you can see how valuable Martin is. The out-bodying of Maynard (on several occasions) to take marks or cause a spill was a thing of beauty imho. When you factor in the skill, game sense, leadership to the hardness it makes for a very, very valuable package.

I’m a big fan.

Durdin is one of a handful that if they get a good run at it can find themselves comfortably in the best 22.

Good problems to have.
Not sure about the love for S. Durdin. Recruited as a low cost KPD only because Oscar McDonald kept breaking down. 27 year old who has played 26 games at 2 clubs. I see him as more of a "in case of emergency" type, but many on here rate him more highly the less that he plays .

I wish him nothing but the best and hope that he surprises me but I would be terrified if we were to go into a final with him playing on Hawkins or Joe Daniher or similar.

Cunners is the one who really needs to pull a big year out of his clacker otherwise he's cactus-stuffus. Spends an awful amount of time injured and when he isn't can't maintain his form for more than a week or two.
Yeah, I reckon he needs a big pre season to give himself every chance....was tracking beautifully this time last year until some einstein decided to wrestle him and dislocate his shoulder - so another interrupted pre season. Needs a good run at it.

For mine, at this stage the uncontracted players who could be feeling a tad nervous at the end of the year (for various reasons) would be Cunners, Owies, Cinc, Fog, Dom and Mirk. Carroll needs to show that he belongs at this level, or may also get a tad nervous....although he has age on his side, and I get the feeling he'll get more opportunities this year.

Interesting observation on our CFC website regarding Monahan.

19yo Irishman listed at 189cm when we signed him up. Listed at 194cm on current listings, so not finished growing. Entering potential KPD territory as is Duffy when he joins us next season. With time for development, we may have our KPP progression from an unlikely source.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan, for exactly those reasons, he's shown elite talent in patches but never strung it together for a full game, let alone multiple games in a row.

I want him to succeed, seems like a decent guy but I think times running out

Interesting observation on our CFC website regarding Monahan.

19yo Irishman listed at 189cm when we signed him up. Listed at 194cm on current listings, sonogram finished growing. Entering potential KPD territory as is Duffy when he joins us next season. With time for development, we may have our KPP progression from an unlikely source.
Pretty sure Duffy was the 194 cm Irishman.
He's definitely taller than Monahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back