List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

There are so very many layers to our List Management. For the record, I am happy enough with Austin and our group of recruiters. Outside of having a crystal ball, they have done OK with the draft hands they have had.

Michael Voss must embrace the concept of developing and playing young players. Then we must task them responsibly. The one ā€œkidā€ who has been given an unhindered run is Ollie Hollands, who I love as a player and prospect. However, he is a victim of his own attributes. Sick of complaints about him being ā€œweakā€. The bloke runs upwards of 14km every week filling holes created by his team mates. Every ounce of ā€œconditionā€ is worked/run off him. I was not a fan if the drafting of Jaxon Binns. He is a hard worker, but was ā€œuntidyā€ pre drafting with disposal and presentation. Screamed the type who was going to be dominant at a lower level. The kid is a goer and admirable, but WTF did we draft both he and Ollie in a year we traded in mature option Acres, and repurposed Sam Docherty.

We acquired Cowan, Boyd and Cincotta around the same time, three throws at small/medium backs. We acquired Hewett and Cerra in the same off season, while having developing young players on the list. I am unaware if it is List Manager, coaching requests or maybe football manager input, but we have been prone to double down on ā€œfilling holesā€ and very much lean to growing through trade rather than developing our own.

We have run out of dollars. With what is already committed and the absolute necessity to re-sign Weitering and De Koning, we have exhausted the possibilities of trading in bankable top line talent. We donā€™t have the capital.

Regardless if Voss likes it or not, our growth must come through the draft for the next few years. We need to nurture and maintain what we have.

The coming off season is about:

Cleaning out the liabilities.

Returning all of our required and contracted to full health.

Embrace the draft to fill our list needs to fill gaps and add layers.

Finding practical mature options to carry us through our kids development windows.

Contrary to many opinions around here, our list is in good shape. We have the cattle to contend, despite our shortcomings. A small amount of tweaking of the list and embracing and enhancing our skills and structures will have us contending for the next five years minimum.

Jack Lukosias is apparently on the outs at the suns, i know hes an SA boy and on decent coin with two years left.. is he worth lookin at, would he fit in at CHB and let Weiters play a bit deeper.

Not a defender and not a KPP either.

need to use Luko to deliver the ball into fwd50, or doubling back to an open goal. Need a better functioning forward line firstly.
Luko is a pretty poor shot on goal vs his field kicking.

No doubt we all love A graders and want to fill the holes in our list with big name players. However the only likely scenario is we draft some gemsā€¦

IMO to be a Richmond, Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn of the past we need to fill our gaps with reliable B graders that get the job done, we lack badly in this areaā€¦

Iā€™d rate our list as follows (when fit)
(* = Players that can go to next level)

A+
Cripps & Weitering

A
Curnow, McKay & Walsh

B
TDK*, Newman, Acres, Saad & Docherty

B-
Cerra, Kennedy, Hewett, Williams, E.Hollands* & Martin

IMO we need to fill our list holes with some B or potential B gradersā€¦
KPD
Midfielders
Small Forwards

No doubt we all love A graders and want to fill the holes in our list with big name players. However the only likely scenario is we draft some gemsā€¦

IMO to be a Richmond, Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn of the past we need to fill our gaps with reliable B graders that get the job done, we lack badly in this areaā€¦

Iā€™d rate our list as follows (when fit)
(* = Players that can go to next level)

A+
Cripps & Weitering

A
Curnow, McKay & Walsh

B
TDK*, Newman, Acres, Saad & Docherty

B-
Cerra, Kennedy, Hewett, Williams, E.Hollands* & Martin

IMO we need to fill our list holes with some B or potential B gradersā€¦
KPD
Midfielders
Small Forwards
Agree with most of this but Charlie is just as good if not better than Cripps and Weiters at his best. As is Walsh. Both have looked injured for large parts of this year but they're still absolute top liners when they're fit and healthy

The coming off season is about:

Cleaning out the liabilities.

Returning all of our required and contracted to full health.

Embrace the draft to fill our list needs to fill gaps and add layers.

Finding practical mature options to carry us through our kids development windows.

Contrary to many opinions around here, our list is in good shape. We have the cattle to contend, despite our shortcomings. A small amount of tweaking of the list and embracing and enhancing our skills and structures will have us contending for the next five years minimum.

Agree about the off season

As for our list. Nothing has changed for me. We lack depth. The other thing I am seing more and more is lack of run and good skills and decision making. We are a very poor ball using side

Is that coaching or development or talent? I don't know, but IMO it's a big issue

Agree about the off season

As for our list. Nothing has changed for me. We lack depth. The other thing I am seing more and more is lack of run and good skills and decision making. We are a very poor ball using side

Is that coaching or development or talent? I don't know, but IMO it's a big issue
Development is heavily hindered by availability. The kids at the start of this year were getting absolutely flogged in the VFL and wouldn't have gotten bugger all from that experience. But I agree that our overall skill level is poor across the list, have about 5-6 genuinely good kicks and that's about it.

I want Mirkov to play against West Coast.

Played his best Ressies game on Saturday, Pitto is struggling. We are about to make some monumental list management decisions, time to get a realistic assessment as to where Mirkov sits.

If Mirk proves up to it, we may be in a position to field offers for Pitto. We have Oā€™Keeffe likely ready after another pre season, with Young and potentially Lemmey as pinch hitters.

Providing he re-signs, TDK is our number one for the foreseeable future. It is an even draft with decent prospects to fifty or even sixty depending on needs. Draft capital will be critical.

We need to come out of the draft with a quality running mid or half back with quality ball use, we also need a bankable, quick small forward, and we absolutely need one or even two developing key position players.

Mirkov can be a cheap cog for the future, he can be a list clogger or he can be delisted. Letā€™s get a fair dinkum assessment. West Coast has an average ruck group, Mirk whould have the chance to shine. He has been building in the back half of the VFL season, enough that he could be a viable prospect.

TRADE TABLE
  • Zac Williams (salary dump)
  • Adam Cerra
  • Marc Pittonet
  • Adam Saad
  • Jordan Boyd
  • Matt Cottrell
  • Matt Kennedy
  • George Hewett
  • Lachlan Fogarty
  • Corey Durdin
  • Lewis Young
Don't trade Saad. He is the one and only speed runner that we have.
We need more small and fast players like him.

I want Mirkov to play against West Coast.

Played his best Ressies game on Saturday, Pitto is struggling. We are about to make some monumental list management decisions, time to get a realistic assessment as to where Mirkov sits.

If Mirk proves up to it, we may be in a position to field offers for Pitto. We have Oā€™Keeffe likely ready after another pre season, with Young and potentially Lemmey as pinch hitters.

Providing he re-signs, TDK is our number one for the foreseeable future. It is an even draft with decent prospects to fifty or even sixty depending on needs. Draft capital will be critical.

We need to come out of the draft with a quality running mid or half back with quality ball use, we also need a bankable, quick small forward, and we absolutely need one or even two developing key position players.

Mirkov can be a cheap cog for the future, he can be a list clogger or he can be delisted. Letā€™s get a fair dinkum assessment. West Coast has an average ruck group, Mirk whould have the chance to shine. He has been building in the back half of the VFL season, enough that he could be a viable prospect.

Might as well. He has been poor this season but on the weekend he was very good. Pittonet was pathehtic

Let's be honest. We aren't winning it this year. Might as well see what we might have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't trade Saad. He is the one and only speed runner that we have.
We need more small and fast players like him.
We need a lot more like him. Not afraid to take the game on. Has the speed to do it.

Based on this then you also have to name Binns, Lord and Moir this weekend, and if H is injured the Lemmey debuts in front of his family too??
Binns, Lord and Moir have contracts, assessments arenā€™t ā€œneededā€ at this stage. I do have Binns as possible trade bait (if Voss wonā€™t play him, no reason to be here) Some clarity may be advantageous. Lord is up to it, so if we feel we need him, no problem. My inclination is that it is too early for Moir, who has just started to get going. I do believe, Moir is the type to step up and shine in better company, when he is ready.

I think one of our A graders needs to be traded for the highest pick possible.

Harry, Charlie, Cripps and Weitering are untouchable. That's the spine, and when fit and firing, it's one of the best in the business.

TDK, although not an A grader yet should also be untouchable.
Cerra isn't an A grader but he has no trade value because of the hammy issues, so he's a retain and invest.

That only leaves Walsh.
He's a very valuable player to us but he'd also be very valuable to another Vic club.

We haven't been shrewd enough with either our trading or our pick selections but look what North has put together with their midfield picks.

I dunno. It's all a head**** because as usual, we've ****ed it all up, again.

We spent YEARS on this forum bemoaning the fact we had no choice but to play Plowman on the small, fast types like Greene and C. Cameron, and then we have one of the best small defenders in the league with the ability to break lines with the best and we're calling to trade him? I understand the salary concerns but Saad is one of the only guys who shows up each week and you know what you're getting, one of the only guys who never loses his feet or fumbles when the heat is on. He is so important to us playing our best footy, we CANNOT trade him.

We spent YEARS on this forum bemoaning the fact we had no choice but to play Plowman on the small, fast types like Greene and C. Cameron, and then we have one of the best small defenders in the league with the ability to break lines with the best and we're calling to trade him? I understand the salary concerns but Saad is one of the only guys who shows up each week and you know what you're getting, one of the only guys who never loses his feet or fumbles when the heat is on. He is so important to us playing our best footy, we CANNOT trade him.
Saadā€™s the least of our problems. Look further up field; thatā€™s where it lies.

Walsh, Saad, Harry... these are players you keep around.

Players like Owies, Motlop, Kemp, Kennedy/Hewett etc are the types you trade if you need to reshuffle the list

Even if we were to trade Walsh we aren't getting anything better via the draft, nobody even close. And we certainly wouldn't all of the sudden not be slow anymore by trading our fastest midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back