List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Plus you'd imagine it would only be for 1 year

If he needs this sort of flexibility I wouldn't imagine he'd play on for too long
I'd be happy if he went on for just one more and allow us some time to get our list in order in order to get an adequate replacement; not that Joe owes us anything, but more ideal world type thing.

We could park Big O in forward line and get Henry to step up and take over the first ruck duties. I believe Henry is ready for primary ruck and we need to get him into the role.

I’m completely fine running with Hipwood and Morris as talls with Smith and Oscar rotating between forward and ruck. We might not go back to back but we’ve won the premiership so I really don’t mind as much personally.

Morris will only get stronger which will help his contested marking game and I think running Hipwood in the deep role Daniher played will benefit his with all the space he will have. We have Rayner, Ah Chee and Lohmann who are great marks as well for general forwards.

Smith did really well in the ruck against the Saints and we know how well Oscar has been up forward resting before. It can definitely work well in my opinion.

Roughead was the Hawks main key forward through a very successful period and he isn't that tall. I think we can manage even if Joe leaves and we have no direct replacement.
It's not a 1 for 1 swap, it's about changing the approach.
Morris will continue to improve, Lohmann and Cameron elite, Rayner can take a great mark and so can McCarthy, Hipwood can continue playing his role, etc.

6month injury Forty is still on our list Smiths also we have rucks all capable we don’t have a 50 a goal kicking forward if Joe retires

I’m talking about in a match eg. The prelim just over a week ago

Also, what’s with the 50 goal cutoff?

Who were our 2 most effective forwards in the GF and how many goals had they kicked in a season?

Losing Joe hurts but we still have one of the most dangerous forward lines even without replacing him with someone you hope can kick 50 in a season

Lynch is a dickhead. Would rather make do with what we’ve got than invite that into the club.
Agreed, would be repulsed if he came to the Lions.

Heard on SEN (not from a caller or text) that GWS is interested in Stringer; wouldn't have thought he'd be a Kingsley type of guy.

Also, does anyone know if the B&F is being televised via the website?

Agreed, would be repulsed if he came to the Lions.

Heard on SEN (not from a caller or text) that GWS is interested in Stringer; wouldn't have thought he'd be a Kingsley type of guy.

Also, does anyone know if the B&F is being televised via the website?

I think we’ve already had hundreds of different combinations of players going to clubs

Players aren’t scared to make public their trade requests. I’ll hold judgement until they do

I’m completely fine running with Hipwood and Morris as talls with Smith and Oscar rotating between forward and ruck. We might not go back to back but we’ve won the premiership so I really don’t mind as much personally.

Morris will only get stronger which will help his contested marking game and I think running Hipwood in the deep role Daniher played will benefit his with all the space he will have. We have Rayner, Ah Chee and Lohmann who are great marks as well for general forwards.

Smith did really well in the ruck against the Saints and we know how well Oscar has been up forward resting before. It can definitely work well in my opinion.
I like this.

Also don't forget we already know that Fort can come in and be an adequate replacement for Oscar in a few games. One of the problems we've faced over the past couple of years is that with Oscar as sole ruck he's eventually going to get cooked at times. Just being more flexible with how we play our list can get us there again. We know now that there are already players on our list who can potentially do a job for a game or a few games . We proved that this year. Lester was half a list clogger . Turns out he's half a champ. People on here were calling for Ah Chee to be the first one dropped for years. Turns out he is a champ. I questioned Answerth's capacity in aspects of his game for years. Turns out I was wrong.

There must be other players who will stay on the list who could perform well with a run of games.

Fwiiw I really like Smith. He's not bad below his knees for a big fella. I might be getting carried away a bit after a flag but he reminds me a bit of Matty Rendell who played a couple of seasons as a permanent forward pinch hitting in the ruck before we put him in as No 1 ruck.

I like this.

Also don't forget we already know that Fort can come in and be an adequate replacement for Oscar in a few games. One of the problems we've faced over the past couple of years is that with Oscar as sole ruck he's eventually going to get cooked at times. Just being more flexible with how we play our list can get us there again. We know now that there are already players on our list who can potentially do a job for a game or a few games . We proved that this year. Lester was half a list clogger . Turns out he's half a champ. People on here were calling for Ah Chee to be the first one dropped for years. Turns out he is a champ. I questioned Answerth's capacity in aspects of his game for years. Turns out I was wrong.

There must be other players who will stay on the list who could perform well with a run of games.

Fwiiw I really like Smith. He's not bad below his knees for a big fella. I might be getting carried away a bit after a flag but he reminds me a bit of Matty Rendell who played a couple of seasons as a permanent forward pinch hitting in the ruck before we put him in as No 1 ruck.

I think he’s definitely a ruck but he’s a better option to try out than anyone who would be available this year.

Options are either not good enough (himmelberg) or their body is cooked (Taberner, lynch). Keep our powder dry for the 2025 off-season.

I think we misremember Oscars performances as a forward, he wasnt good and I'm not sure he's likely to have got better

Himmelberg is at least big and mobile so can make more contests

I'll bank the million from Daniher rather than go stop gap as an emergency. We also have Luke Lloyd waiting in the wings. I'd hazard a guess and say Luke Lloyd with one more preseason will be better than Himmelberg next year.

We have talls on the list who are all chomping for more opportunity. Smith as main ruck, "Premiership winning ruck" Darcy Fort and Oscar to come back from injury. I don't feel the need to parachute a forward in who at best may have carried the "forward" label for other clubs.

EDIT: we've already done the hail mary forward attempt in Brandon Ryan. Locked in for 3 years. I really don't want to repeat that mistake again and go stop gap one more time. I'd rather play whom we have, knowing our medium talls have come on a fair bit in Ah Chee, Lohmann, Rayner etc. Not to mention Linc will be back next year.

Also, someone might come knocking when his contract runs out in 2025.

1727671882570.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6month injury Forty is still on our list Smiths also we have rucks all capable we don’t have a 50 a goal kicking forward if Joe retires

Ah Chee, Rayner, Lohmann and Morris can cover the 50 goals.

Lohmann kicked 36, Rayner 31, Ah Chee 27 and Morris kicked 24 this year. There is lot of upside.

We've just proven our own backyard is a good place to look for left field options.

Wasting money on has beens ,never wases , or questionable cultural influences would be a step in the wrong direction.

Joe is a great player ,a pivotal player , but not irreplaceable with what we have. Hipwood just played 6 games under extremely adverse circumstances. Who knows what he's got in the tank.

If Joe retires we put options in front of him to talk him out of it. If that doesn't work we've got plenty of players on our list hungry to be part of another flag.

We've just proven our own backyard is a good place to look for left field options.

Wasting money on has beens ,never wases , or questionable cultural influences would be a step in the wrong direction.

Joe is a great player ,a pivotal player , but not irreplaceable with what we have. Hipwood just played 6 games under extremely adverse circumstances. Who knows what he's got in the tank.

If Joe retires we put options in front of him to talk him out of it. If that doesn't work we've got plenty of players on our list hungry to be part of another flag.

I'd argue though that we don't have a key forward/chop out ruck on our list of any value to replace him with

I'll bank the million from Daniher rather than go stop gap as an emergency. We also have Luke Lloyd waiting in the wings. I'd hazard a guess and say Luke Lloyd with one more preseason will be better than Himmelberg next year.

We have talls on the list who are all chomping for more opportunity. Smith as main ruck, "Premiership winning ruck" Darcy Fort and Oscar to come back from injury. I don't feel the need to parachute a forward in who at best may have carried the "forward" label for other clubs.

EDIT: we've already done the hail mary forward attempt in Brandon Ryan. Locked in for 3 years. I really don't want to repeat that mistake again and go stop gap one more time. I'd rather play whom we have, knowing our medium talls have come on a fair bit in Ah Chee, Lohmann, Rayner etc. Not to mention Linc will be back next year.

Also, someone might come knocking when his contract runs out in 2025.

View attachment 2126819

When your mum says you've already got a 2025 Key forward trade target at home:

1727674004203.png

I'd argue though that we don't have a key forward/chop out ruck on our list of any value to replace him with

We'll definitely be a worse team with him gone, think we'd have to lean into the kamikaze ball movement more to get better looks up forward and stop us having to go up the line.

Already talk that clubs should be targeting Darcy Fort - I guess its no wonder

I can actually see Fort leaving. He has a premiership. He will go back to reserves next year. If someone offered him more money and a starting ruck, if I was in his position I’d take it. Anyone would

Who were our 2 most effective forwards in the GF and how many goals had they kicked in a season?

Losing Joe hurts but we still have one of the most dangerous forward lines even without replacing him with someone you hope can kick 50 in a season

We were top of the competition for scoring in 2019 and 2020 with a forward line of McStay, Hipwood, Oscar, McCarthy, Cameron, Rayner and Bailey so I think it’s definitely possible to have one of the most dangerous forward lines like you said.

The main issue will be having a tall forward who can be that absolute first target in the big games like against Sydney and GWS. He took big contested marks inside fifty during the grand final and was won us the GWS game at the biggest moment. Was our best against Collingwood last year and kicked the winning goal against Richmond in 2022.

It’ll be hard to guarantee another one of our forwards will be able to provide that. So while the home and away season could be great the big games is where he will be missed the most.

I can actually see Fort leaving. He has a premiership. He will go back to reserves next year. If someone offered him more money and a starting ruck, if I was in his position I’d take it. Anyone would
Couldn't begrudge him in his position given hes only contracted for one more year.

That being said, being a quasi Queenslander with family in Brisbane and his age, he may be good with where he's at and what's he achieved, and whose to say we wouldn't give him another year on top of his current deal.

Let’s agree to disagree I feel Stringer would be a good choice if Joey retired
Ah Chee, Rayner, Lohmann and Morris can cover the 50 goals.

Lohmann kicked 36, Rayner 31, Ah Chee 27 and Morris kicked 24 this year. There is lot of upside.
You have to take into account Daniher 60+ goals is added to those mentioned you can be hopefully they add to those goals Talley it is disappointing it's a year too early for Us to be able to trade 2 years in advance imagine if we could bring in a McKay to our list Stringer is someone that comes cheap this year that can add to our list

It was a mutually beneficial outcome in the end. He played his role, we got a premiership and he also got a medal. Win win.

I won't begrudge him leaving if another club comes knocking with a 3-4 year deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back