List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure Dev would be best 22 at west coast. At least here he has a chance of sneaking into the 22 and winning a premiership like he almost did last year

Their list is going through a transition still. Gaff 31, Yeo 30, Kelly will be 30 this july etc. There is a window where the established ones will disappear and they'll have a void in mid-20s age group.

Dev would've got an opportunity to establish himself there, similar to what Keays has done in Adelaide. Sustaining in that role would be a different question as he's likely to get pushed out when high draft picks with better potential come through and take over the midfield.

Ive said this before, Dev should've moved to WC when the offer was there. I was surprised he stayed considering the midfield pipeline we had in Levi, Marshall, Annable, Harrison Bridge etc. There is potential for Fletcher and Wilmot to go through the middle too. Dev should've taken that 4 years and ran to WA.

Its like the Robbie Copeland scenario, when triple premier team was flying, role players like Copeland were getting strong offers too. I think Richmond was after him at that time.
Probably thought there's a chance of a flag this year or next in Brisbane, and then he could go back to Perth.

Not sure Dev would be best 22 at west coast. At least here he has a chance of sneaking into the 22 and winning a premiership like he almost did last year
Don't let this past weekend fool you, West Coast are a poor team with a poor midfield and Dev would have a much better chance of being best 22 there.

Probably thought there's a chance of a flag this year or next in Brisbane, and then he could go back to Perth.

Don't let this past weekend fool you, West Coast are a poor team with a poor midfield and Dev would have a much better chance of being best 22 there.

But as mpal said it's a trade off between playing the much more talented kids, the old guys and someone with a little more experience but still serious flaws in his game

And smallish, not quick, not skilful, not that strong inside midfielders aren't hard to find

It would be weird for a fringe 22 grand final team player to go to the comfortable wooden spooners and be fringe there too. Based on last year, he would have walked into that side somewhere.

Everyone is writing Dev off early. He barely had a pre season, got thrown into the seniors to cover injuries and was clearly underdone fitness wise. Found plenty of footy in the VFL over the weekend but he’s still finding his touch.

Don’t get me wrong he has flaws in his game and I see him as fringe best 22 but he’ll have a role to play this year still. One of our better players when it comes to consistent intensity and effort and arguably our best regarding defensive intent.

Everyone is writing Dev off early. He barely had a pre season, got thrown into the seniors to cover injuries and was clearly underdone fitness wise. Found plenty of footy in the VFL over the weekend but he’s still finding his touch.

Don’t get me wrong he has flaws in his game and I see him as fringe best 22 but he’ll have a role to play this year still. One of our better players when it comes to consistent intensity and effort and arguably our best regarding defensive intent.

Do you think he has what it takes to play a role other than inside mid consistently?

Do you think he has what it takes to play a role other than inside mid consistently?
Thats the question and is Tunstill now slightly favored over Dev.

When either Neale or Dunkley are injured or managed, Lyons appears to be the preferred replacement.
I think it is time they gave that job to Tunstill or Dev and see how either handles that full inside midfield role.

Lyons OOC this year so we need to see if a younger player can handle that role other than Wil taking a midfield spot of course.
In the meantime, both really are fringe 22 players that can fill some holes adequately or go in as sub.

Dev has a bit if work to do to make a significant and consistent contribution in the seniors.

Imo his two biggest weaknesses which we can’t afford to carry are lack of composure and very two touch fumbly. Compare that to Kai who is relatively composed and clean in only his first real full game?

Dev's best chance of winning a permanent spot in our side is to play Dunkley's role at a consistent level so Dunkley can avoid being the stopper and become a ball winning mid. That'll change the team dynamic for sure but there's not enough data to suggest Dev can become our most consistent stopper as part of a midfield rotation. He has had break evens against Oliver etc, but not a blanket win like Willem Drew has done against Neale for example or the one Finn Maginness played against Nick Daicos in the recent past.

That big body stopper role is a void in my view and Dev's best chance is to take that role and excel in it.

Their list is going through a transition still. Gaff 31, Yeo 30, Kelly will be 30 this july etc. There is a window where the established ones will disappear and they'll have a void in mid-20s age group.

Dev would've got an opportunity to establish himself there, similar to what Keays has done in Adelaide. Sustaining in that role would be a different question as he's likely to get pushed out when high draft picks with better potential come through and take over the midfield.

They’ve benefitted greatly from extra depth this year that’s seen Ginbey not have to be the second inside mid behind Kelly. If they were after Dev they would’ve played him inside and quite a bit. He’s an inside mid and you’d want to see what he was capable of.

Dev's best chance of winning a permanent spot in our side is to play Dunkley's role at a consistent level so Dunkley can avoid being the stopper and become a ball winning mid. That'll change the team dynamic for sure but there's not enough data to suggest Dev can become our most consistent stopper as part of a midfield rotation. He has had break evens against Oliver etc, but not a blanket win like Willem Drew has done against Neale for example or the one Finn Maginness played against Nick Daicos in the recent past.

That big body stopper role is a void in my view and Dev's best chance is to take that role and excel in it.

Might change the team dynamic, but for the better? I personally wouldn't want them both in the centre square - I don't think their disposal is good enough.

I'm happy with the balance we have at the moment. FWIW, I too think him being a or the defensive midfielder is his go, but the only way Dev plays Dunkley's role is if Dunkley isn't there, not in addition to.

Kudos to Dev for staying at the end of last year, but think the writing is on the wall with Ashcroft x 2 to come, as well as the potential more permanent insertion of Rayner into the midfield.

If Dev were to take Dunkleys role that means our 3rd mid being McCluggage gets less time in the midfield.
I don't think anyone wants that to happen.
McCluggage is playing better because he is around the ball more now.
McCluggage attended an average of 64% of CBA's in the last 3 games compared to just 49% in the last 8 games including 2023 finals.

Personally, i would prefer Dunkleys role to change ever so slightly to more offence.
I don't see Dev replacing any of the players below unless injury strikes.
Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage, Rayner, Bailey & Ashcroft when he returns.

Then you may even have Zorko in the mix although i would keep him at half back for the year even when McKenna returns.

Also, if Lohmann's form continues that forward position is also just out of his reach.

Its like the Robbie Copeland scenario, when triple premier team was flying, role players like Copeland were getting strong offers too. I think Richmond was after him at that time.
Heh you just reminded me of the time the club dispatched a staffer out to the Copeland family business posing as a customer in order to get the inside guff on Bushie's intentions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heh you just reminded me of the time the club dispatched a staffer out to the Copeland family business posing as a customer in order to get the inside guff on Bushie's intentions.
You can come clean now Rip, it was you in a different hat right?

AFL trade news: St Kilda, Geelong, Adelaide and Essendon among clubs chasing Hugh McCluggage

Brisbane are confident they will keep Hugh McCluggage, with it seeming any club wanting the gun midfielder will be forced to part with multiple first-round draft picks to land the Lion.

Clubs eyeing Brisbane Lions’ free agent Hugh McCluggage could be forced to part with multiple first-round draft picks to prise the superstar free agent back home to Victoria.
The Lions could become only the second club to match a free agency bid for the brilliant ballwinner, forcing a rival club to stump up multiple early draft selections as part of a trade.

While the Lions are confident of keeping the match winning midfielder, clubs including St Kilda, Geelong, Essendon and Adelaide are expected to come hard for McCluggage.

The 26-year-old would command a salary to move clubs upwards of $1.3 million a year following an increase in the league’s salary cap.

But the Lions would put up an enormous fight to keep McCluggage in the event he wanted to leave by almost certainly going down the same path as GWS Giants who matched a bid for Jeremy Cameron when he left the Giants for Geelong.

The Cats were forced to give up picks 13, 15 and 20 for Cameron and two second-round picks in return.

Under free agency rules, a player’s club can match a bid for a restricted free agent after eight years at the club, forcing a bigger return at the trade table.

The Lions could ask for a top-10 pick plus more, which could turn off rival clubs.

St Kilda and Adelaide are on the hunt for more midfield class, while Essendon will scour the free agency market for more top-end talent. Fremantle also has three first-round picks to add more A-Graders.

McCluggage is one of the best wingmen in the competition and has also shone in an inside midfield role.

But the Lions are going to hit the jackpot at this year’s draft as they look to amass more draft points to land gun Sandringham Dragons midfielder and father-son prospect Levi Ashcroft as well as a pair of academy prospects including exciting 201cm tall Tom Gillett and playmaker Sam Marshall.

The AFL spoke to all clubs on Tuesday as part of plans to overhaul the draft system including the academy and father-son selections.

Clubs want the changes to be introduced next year as they have already planned for this year’s draft.

The Lions would be one of the most affected if the changes are introduced this year, making clubs pay more to draft academy and father-son players.

Such a strange article that one albeit it’s Jay Clark.

Hugh doesn’t seem like the bloke who wants to leave unless someone completely blows us out of the water financially, which may turn his head a little.

If, as Clark says though, we would match an offer wouldn’t Hugh just accept ours before it got to the point of accepting another teams offer. 🤨

AFL trade news: St Kilda, Geelong, Adelaide and Essendon among clubs chasing Hugh McCluggage​

Brisbane are confident they will keep Hugh McCluggage, with it seeming any club wanting the gun midfielder will be forced to part with multiple first-round draft picks to land the Lion.

Clubs eyeing Brisbane Lions’ free agent Hugh McCluggage could be forced to part with multiple first-round draft picks to prise the superstar free agent back home to Victoria.
The Lions could become only the second club to match a free agency bid for the brilliant ballwinner, forcing a rival club to stump up multiple early draft selections as part of a trade.

While the Lions are confident of keeping the match winning midfielder, clubs including St Kilda, Geelong, Essendon and Adelaide are expected to come hard for McCluggage.

The 26-year-old would command a salary to move clubs upwards of $1.3 million a year following an increase in the league’s salary cap.

But the Lions would put up an enormous fight to keep McCluggage in the event he wanted to leave by almost certainly going down the same path as GWS Giants who matched a bid for Jeremy Cameron when he left the Giants for Geelong.

The Cats were forced to give up picks 13, 15 and 20 for Cameron and two second-round picks in return.

Under free agency rules, a player’s club can match a bid for a restricted free agent after eight years at the club, forcing a bigger return at the trade table.

The Lions could ask for a top-10 pick plus more, which could turn off rival clubs.

St Kilda and Adelaide are on the hunt for more midfield class, while Essendon will scour the free agency market for more top-end talent. Fremantle also has three first-round picks to add more A-Graders.

McCluggage is one of the best wingmen in the competition and has also shone in an inside midfield role.

But the Lions are going to hit the jackpot at this year’s draft as they look to amass more draft points to land gun Sandringham Dragons midfielder and father-son prospect Levi Ashcroft as well as a pair of academy prospects including exciting 201cm tall Tom Gillett and playmaker Sam Marshall.

The AFL spoke to all clubs on Tuesday as part of plans to overhaul the draft system including the academy and father-son selections.

Clubs want the changes to be introduced next year as they have already planned for this year’s draft.

The Lions would be one of the most affected if the changes are introduced this year, making clubs pay more to draft academy and father-son players.
Concerning that we have had to leak our draft/trade intentions to the media so early. This is going to be awkward at best.

Concerning that we have had to leak our draft/trade intentions to the media so early. This is going to be awkward at best.

What intentions have we leaked? That we will be matching? Every club knew GWS were matching Cameron long, looong before trade period. Surely you're not advocating the club play ducks and drakes and tell fibs? If that's the level of leakage that is concerning you, where were you during Leppa's years?

It would be a massive blow if McCluggage moved on, IMO the best 5-6 years of his career are still to come.

If he was offered 1.3 Million per year would we really match it... if so he would stay IMO.

What intentions have we leaked? That we will be matching? Every club knew GWS were matching Cameron long, looong before trade period. Surely you're not advocating the club play ducks and drakes and tell fibs? If that's the level of leakage that is concerning you, where were you during Leppa's years?
Also that we would demand multiple first round draft picks. Immediately that creates a barrier for a number of clubs, most likely.

Don't confuse the Leppa years leaking with this kind of leaking. I imagine that this kind of leaking has been carefully considered by whole-of-club with a view to influencing the pursuit of Hugh by other clubs.

If negotiations are not going as planned, it's a smart move. If negotiations are going as planned, it doesn't really matter either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back