List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't quite get the knock on Day when the club had extremely limited resources to facilitate a trade with a name player when none were OOC and you are asking a player (doesn't where that player is located in Australia) to basically uproot their life for likely a one year deal and Day is already based in SEQ.

Day just makes sense, can't believe anyone can't see it any differently.

Don't quite get the knock on Day when the club had extremely limited resources to facilitate a trade with a name player when none were OOC and you are asking a player (doesn't where that player is located in Australia) to basically uproot their life for likely a one year deal and Day is already based in SEQ.

We're used to misery this time of year.

Many still adjusting to the new paradigm. I BELIEVE their development is linear and by the start of the season will totally on board in their happy, trusting supporter role.

Don’t think there are too many people knocking it’s just a very loud minority on this one.

So what we did in the grand final was show that a team with players of mixed ability but who each of something to contribute, playing with a team first mentality can destroy the opposition.

Team first mentality is the most important part. A player like Day doesn't survive this long with his injury history without being able to play his role and fit in.

There was a stage where Joe and Charlie would always take the shots. Then they started passing to players in a better position and the team improved.

If Day joins us, and plays all he has to do is play his role of relief ruck, bring the ball to ground, get the ball to players in better positions and take the shot when he is in best position.

I back the forwards we have now to provide the options he needs.

He'll be fine, and the Lions will be magnificent.

The way I figure it we had all the crap things that could happen to us in a season in 2024 ,including losing Daniher at the end . The only good thing to come out of it was that we hit form in the last 4 games , had a bit of luck in a couple of those and played really well against a dumbstruck opponent in the last game.

So with even luck 2025 should be a good year.
And that's how I see things as well. With all of the adversity chucked at us this year, for us to win the flag was a great effort. And what it will do for us going forward, it will give us great confidence & greater belief that we can win despite the footy gods being against us. Getting that "Can we win one" monkey off our backs should free us up from the start of 2025. We won't become complacent like Collingwood did in 2024. And we definitely WON'T organise a big get together prior to the season to watch a replay of the premiership like the Pies did! They were still in celebration mode in March this year!

Last edited:

Just to make the case more bullet proof....Stewie Dew will be heavily consulted prior to any Day decision.
In Stewie I trust.

• Number of best 23 players wanting to be traded from our club? zero.
  • Number of Joe Daniher’s available to trade for in the AFL? zero
  • Number of potential top 20 draft pick players coming to us in the draft, for a bunch of late picks that we didn’t have at the beginning of the trade period? 2

We did what we needed to do.

We have 23 games next year to figure out what our best look is up forward. I expect all of Smith, Fort & Day (assuming we go with him) will be given a look at forward/ruck throughout the season, perhaps even a “horses for courses” approach.
My preference would be to give Smith a solid shot at it given he’s the future. When he needs a break (as Morris did this season), bring in Day.
Fort can hold the ruck in the 2’s and focus on being the best ruckman he can be in the event Oscar goes down again.
I’d also be playing Gardiner as a forward in the 2’s. We already know he can play back.

Our depth players will be putting plenty of pressure for places in best 23. Unless someone gets picked up as a DFA we have Reville, Brain, Prior, Dev waiting - and that’s behind our 4 ACL boys (who may need to find some match fitness through the 2’s).

No concerns for 2025!

Hearing reports that Curnow, Max and Ben King, Oscar Allen, Fogarty, Hogan and Mitch Lewis all expressed interest but we knocked them back because we wanted Sam Day.

Joe even asked to come back and we said we don’t have a spot for him anymore, that’s gone to Ty Gallop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hearing reports that Curnow, Max and Ben King, Oscar Allen, Fogarty, Hogan and Mitch Lewis all expressed interest but we knocked them back because we wanted Sam Day.

Joe even asked to come back and we said we don’t have a spot for him anymore, that’s gone to Ty Gallop.
I wonder if Dom Fay gave a freudian slip at the end of the last podcast with a name that he had heard earlier in the year as a Joe replacement.
He said something to the words of, who knows, maybe even Ben King might be a lion by the end of trade period?
Could be the one we have our eyes on for next year?

If we go Day it's very clear we value keeping the same structure and he's the best fit we could get
Why do you say that? We are very thin on the ground for tall forwards with any experience... Day could simply be back up.

I expect we will try plan B, C and D and if all else fails revert to plan A.

I'm sure the club aren't assuming Day is like for like and to continue to play the same way would be foolish. Surely we have a little more faith than that now don't we?

It is really interesting to hear the VIC media pundits talking about the Lions now. Six weeks ago we couldn’t win the flag because Daniher was unreliable, couldn’t be trusted,didn’t provide enough effort etc etc. Now the narrative is that he was our best player and we can’t win it without him. And apparently Collingwood are going to be the team to beat because they have brought in a back flanker who is going to carry them to the top. The BS they spout is incredible.

It is really interesting to hear the VIC media pundits talking about the Lions now. Six weeks ago we couldn’t win the flag because Daniher was unreliable, couldn’t be trusted,didn’t provide enough effort etc etc. Now the narrative is that he was our best player and we can’t win it without him. And apparently Collingwood are going to be the team to beat because they have brought in a back flanker who is going to carry them to the top. The BS they spout is incredible.
I wouldn’t worry too much about Collingwood. Their reliance on old players and winning close matches is not a premiership formula.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back