List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

This definitely has us in good stead moving forward:

Draft Class: LAshcroft (arguably no.1), Marshall (top 20-25), Young KP
19: Morris, McLachlan
20: WAshcroft, Fletcher, Brain, Wilmott
21: Lohmann, Sharp (I think many of us forget just how comparatively young Sharp is), Smith
23: Reville

Even JUST outside the under 23s:
24: Coleman, Rayner, Bailey, Payne
25: Starcevich, Answerth

Annable to come as well. We also have a few other youngsters yet to get a go as well, we aren't sure exactly what they offer, the likes of Beecken, ZZ, Torrent, etc.

Even then, it isn't like most of the others except Zorko, Neale and Lester are that old either.

We should be challenging for a while yet. If you look at our list, even our under 23s (with the 24s and 25s thrown in) look like an almost pretty great side in their own right:

Backs:
Brain, Payne, (Starcevich)
Wilmott, ZZ (Andrews still has a good 5 years at least anyway), Coleman

Mids:
Fletcher, Smith, Reville
WAshcroft, Annable, LAshcroft

Forwards:
Lohmann, (Hipwood - see Andrews), (Rayner)
(Bailey), Morris, (McLachlan)

Bench:
Marshall, (Answerth), (Beecken), Sharp

Even looking ahead, there still aren't many holes. Really just need to start thinking about a KPF, a small forward and another Ah Chee type Mr. Fixit

If Annable grows by another 4-5cms it'll be perfect long term. He appears to be 183cm currently.
He could takeover Dunkley role and be the midfielder with a bit of height around the Ashcrofts.

how the hell any competent medico could not diagnose fractured ribs or if they did, send him back out (even if he wanted to go back out) defies common sense and importantly a duty of care. We are not talking about a fractured foot and just needle it up and get through the game.

Broke ribs can be pretty hard to diagnose clinically. We do a lot of imaging to exclude them in hospital.

If Annable grows by another 4-5cms it'll be perfect long term. He appears to be 183cm currently.
He could takeover Dunkley role and be the midfielder with a bit of height around the Ashcrofts.
He looks taller than 183cm. I mentioned during the Academy games against the CTL teams that he looked the same height as Marshall. His Rookie Me profile lists him as 183cm, but in later match reviews , Rookie Me list him at 185cm.

Broke ribs can be pretty hard to diagnose clinically. We do a lot of imaging to exclude them in hospital.
cant argue as I am not qualified, but the knee in the back and the fact he could not stand up straight and the obvious level of pain has to be reasonable indicators

From my observations on Marshall as that he looks like he is an elite athlete who can run the lines all day in addition to picking around 25 to 30 touches per game. This projects well for a wing role in the future. He doesn’t appear to have much ‘hurt’ factor though, so my bet is he will be given time in the reserves to improve his kicking, find way to kick goals and learn how to tackle. He projects well as an AFL player for the future but until he improves his all round game will developing his craft in the reserves similar to Robertson and Tunstill.
Berry has carved a decent career with minimal hurt factor and poor disposal. If Marshall plays a role well he gets games.

Apparently Saints offered Battle 950k/pa and are hoping Hawks matched for the first round compo. 950k/pa is Hugh McCluggage money.

There’s no role for Langford long term and he’d just impair Morris’ development opportunity.
Read this without any context, and after puzzling over it for a short while, thought you were referring to Chris Langford and Russell Morris at the Hawks in the 80s. Damned impressive deep cut that would have been FOR THIS BOARD.

Read this without any context, and after puzzling over it for a short while, thought you were referring to Chris Langford and Russell Morris at the Hawks in the 80s. Damned impressive deep cut that would have been FOR THIS BOARD.

As I wasn’t born until the last couple of months of the 80s I’ll not pretend to know who those players are..

But I appreciate you thought I had that deep a well of footy knowledge/history!

If we have cap room I'd like to add Nathan Kreuger from Pies as the forward depth option. He'll be better than Brandon Ryan, will compete and can also do relief ruck.

Thoughts on targeting Sam Darcy at some point in the next 12 months? Out of contract next year and there is no way the Dogs will be able to match opposition money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berry has carved a decent career with minimal hurt factor and poor disposal. If Marshall plays a role well he gets games.
You are correct about Berrys disposal he does have changers with his kicks. He plays wing for us because he is a fabulous runner. His best position is as an inside mid that tags the best opposition inside mid and unfortunately for him Dunkley plays that role. We are lucky to have such great players in our team

Thoughts on targeting Sam Darcy at some point in the next 12 months? Out of contract next year and there is no way the Dogs will be able to match opposition money.
Would be nice but Pies will come for him with a mega offer I think.

Pair of Blues more likely than not to request trades this off-season

Brisbane midfielder Deven Robertson could also be headed home to Western Australia after finding himself on the outer at the Lions in 2024, playing just the two games.
I believe he’s also now one to watch in this trade period,” SEN WA’s Peter Vlahos said.
Maybe he should’ve taken the offer last year. His currency might not be as prominent as 12 months ago.”

Dev's days on our list are numbered, can not see him nabbing a permanent spot in our midfield anytime soon. If he gets an offer he likes the look of he should jump at it.

Hopefully he gets to a club where he can get a Ben Keays/Mitch Hinge type career out of it.

Go to West Coast and be harley Reid's understudy. Try to learn a thing or 2 from him

Same article links us with Jack Martin🤢
It's even more hilarious that they're linking him with the Suns after the whole debacle around his departure from them. I actually wouldn't mind Martin if he's willing to be a bench/VFL player for us. If his partner's desire to be in Queensland is that great, he might agree. He's also good mates with Ah Chee IIRC.

But the player in that article who I really want is Jack Carroll, loved him in his draft year and was really hoping we'd get him. Looks like he wants to go to WA though, and he probably wouldn't crack our midfield anyway.

Same article links us with Jack Martin🤢
Its probably not fair but I always feel wary about players looking to move to a third club/state. Of course its so dependant on the timing or reasons for each move - but always feel you are going to get a destabilising presence or someone who doesnt put the work in (ie Lobb)

I think every off season Managers throw players names out there and hope supporters from clubs start conversation and then the managers can say there is interest even if the Clubs themselves dont even take the bait. Jack Martin I reckon will never make it to a Lions whiteboard or even be whispered.

Big Picture the Lions can play finals with this team another 2 years without changing a thing BUT as we know we have some great young kids coming over the next few years and with clever recruitment we can refresh the team and stay in finals for 6 or 7 years. I think we are in a wonderful position to bring in 'project' players that we think are a 3 or 3 year prospect. Bottom Agers like sharp and Lane, Mid season draft, and Queensland hidden gems like Drummond, Bushy, Merrit, Bruce etc. We cant jump at shadows just because players are available, in 2024/2025 we should be making list changes for 2027/2028

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back