List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confused as to why we’ve met with Owies. Can never have to much depth but with list spots at a premium I’d say we are well stocked as far as small forwards go. Would rather give McLachlan a go if we had a crisis in which a mix of Cameron, Lohmann, Linc, Bailey and Ah Chee missed a game or two.

In hindsight Fagan and whoever else was involved did an awesome job in getting Joe to Brisbane because it wouldn't have been easy.

And what it cost us compared to where he was even then was a steal.

Whether he goes on or not who knows but what's staring him in the face is the chance to become one of the legends of the game.

As a person who's battled mental issues a few times I identify totally with the sort of person he is and how he's feeling but if he does go on he knows he will get incredible support and is very much a loved figure if he just listens to the supporters and switches off the media.

Confused as to why we’ve met with Owies. Can never have to much depth but with list spots at a premium I’d say we are well stocked as far as small forwards go. Would rather give McLachlan a go if we had a crisis in which a mix of Cameron, Lohmann, Linc, Bailey and Ah Chee missed a game or two.
Who the hell is mclachlan?
maxresdefault.jpg

Can somebody please tell me how the hell we are going to fit Lashcroft, Kiddy, Reville, Linc, Doedee and two or three other Academy hot prospects into this side in 2025?

Then there are MacLachlan, Beeken and Craven who we picked up in the mid -season draft, all of whom have shown plenty in the VFL this year.

Competition for spots in our Premiership winning side should be hot in 2025.

None of the 23 that played yesterday can afford to feel comfortable

Life's good as a Lions supporter

Can somebody please tell me how the hell we are going to fit Lashcroft, Kiddy, Reville, Linc, Doedee and two or three other Academy hot prospects into this side in 2025?

Then there are MacLachlan, Beeken and Craven who we picked up in the mid -season draft, all of whom have shown plenty in the VFL this year.

Competition for spots in our Premiership winning side should be hot in 2025.

Life's good as a Lions supporter
Injuries, loss of form ,players not coming on as expected or others losing focus and motivation. It happens to all teams.

The key is to keep getting as many good players on to your list as you can and keeping them there and offloading the ones who won't make it. Rinse and repeat.

Plot twist. Joe doesn’t like the media, is very private, doesn’t own a TV, but his secret pleasure has always been posting on bigfooty under the pseudonym SpecialBruce.

An even bigger plot twist - a six year old Joe registers a Big Footy account as it just starts in 2000, posts as a Lions supporters for a few years and then gets the account suspended. As soon as Joe signs with the Lions, account is re-activated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people have put shit on Joe over the years, especially in the media but I think if and when he does go it will show everyone just how important he was to our success. I always felt comfortable that as long as he was out there up forward we'd have a score in us, even if at times he'd do some dumb shit.

We have to pay him no matter what right or did they change that system
We have to pay him if he retires due to injury.

If he just chooses to retire, it cancels the remainder of his contract.

Always been like this, it's just that most only retire when out of contract or when injured precisely so they're not leaving money on the table.

Oliver Caffrey
A candid Lions football boss Danny Daly tells SEN he believes Joe Daniher is leaning towards retirement

Peter Ryan
The Lions think Joe is a big chance to retire, but as yet no official word. They are confident they will know his thoughts when they get back to a bit of business later in the week.

Last edited:
We have to pay him if he retires due to injury.

If he just chooses to retire, it cancels the remainder of his contract.

Always been like this, it's just that most only retire when out of contract or when injured precisely so they're not leaving money on the table.
I'd be happy to keep him on the list with the possibility that he could be talked around sometime in next few months. Not sure if that means we get to February and he then confirms he is done, do we then place him on LTI (likely not relevant for a retirement) and when is the cut off for how/if his salary can be reallocated?
I can't see anyway of replacing him in 2025 and I wouldn't try. Rather stick with what we have, use that 800K to front load as much as we can next year across the relevant players and have a year to plan someone we go after for 2026.
As much as it will hurt to lose him, I can only admire how he has carried himself. He was at Essendon with the most delusional, self righteous, entitled set of supporters, who then seemed to especially bask in any sort of media pile on that he copped after a bad game or moment when he came to us.
His disdain for the media and not giving them the soundbites they desperately wanted has meant he has copped some way over the top abuse. It's funny that he is now a 'Big Game Player' according to the media when his finals and big game record has always been good, even back to Anzac day games. I can only imagine what he would have copped if he'd missed one of those 2 shots against the Giants.
Of course I don't know him or have any particular insight but I'd guess growing up in Melbourne, with that surname and seeing how fickle the whole game is he's very aware of how it works and does not want any part of it.
So if he does retire it'll hurt, but I can't begrudge him and will always be thankful for not just what he has done this September but all of the other mercurial and out of the box things he's done over the years, that you just don't see from 99% of players in the AFL.

Joe is going to do what he wants to do and no amount of incentives, concessions what we thing any other player would jump at to keep playing will change that in the interim.

Of course if he does retire he could always change his mind . Even by 2026 . But if he goes on he wants to be doing all the things the other guys are doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back