List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see us not adding a mature ager if Joe retires. Even if we replace him with Smith or Fort in the seniors or go small we were short this year already and could lose Joe and delist Lane who will be injured anyway

Hayes from St Kilda still not re-signed?

I said to my family before the GF. If we win I won't begrudge him for calling time. I'll be upset if he chooses to call time only cause I love watching him play.

He seems a very non fuss type of person. So if he doesn't think he can commit 100% he will slip away quietly. Which will leave us over 800k in the cap I'd imagine. I doubt he would want a handout from a medical retirement or a list spot even if we offered it.

Could we just go smaller if Joe retires and play a different style?

Slot Linc McCarthy/McLachlan in?

Forward 6-7 of Hipwood, Morris, Rayner, Ah Chee, Lohmann, Cameron and McCarthy would be pretty handy, Cam, Linc, Cal, Kai are all more than capable overhead as well.

I don't see Henry Smith as a viable option as a Joe replacement, nowhere near it as a forward.

With all our trade capital being taken up matching Levi and Sam the only other options would be a cheap mature plug and play forward who can provide a contest, not ideal options but someone like Taberner, Casboult, Kreuger OR he has been mentioned before but still only 28 years of age and been killing it in the QAFL for years > Matthew Hammelmann. Motivation is said to be an issue although he might be willing to put in a great pre season if he thinks he is a chance at an AFL flag.

Could we just go smaller if Joe retires and play a different style?

Slot Linc McCarthy/McLachlan in?

Forward 6-7 of Hipwood, Morris, Rayner, Ah Chee, Lohmann, Cameron and McCarthy would be pretty handy, Cam, Linc, Cal, Kai are all more than capable overhead as well.

I don't see Henry Smith as a viable option as a Joe replacement, nowhere near it as a forward.

With all our trade capital being taken up matching Levi and Sam the only other options would be a cheap mature plug and play forward who can provide a contest, not ideal options but someone like Taberner, Casboult, Kreuger OR he has been mentioned before but still only 28 years of age and been killing it in the QAFL for years > Matthew Hammelmann. Motivation is said to be an issue although he might be willing to put in a great pre season if he thinks he is a chance at an AFL flag.
I still think we need to bring at least one experienced guy in, whether it be a plug and play for a year or someone for a bit longer. I know I keep banging on about it but heaven forbid we cop injuries up there like we did down back this year. We'd be screwed.

I think given we continued to play Eric when he could barely kick 40m shows that we don't really rate the internal alternatives. Still don't know what we were thinking offering Ryan the 3 years, but as it is we did, so let's hope he may show a bit more.

I wouldn’t say no to that if he wanted to leave. He didn’t have a strong year compared to last year and if everyone comes back, with Levi coming in, someone has to make way. We can live without him and if a club wants to pay, let him go there.

We have McCarthy, Gardiner, Levi and Coleman to come back. McCarthy or Ah Chee can take his role.

I don’t count Doedee because he won’t play AFL again. Unfortunately can’t see him coming back.

Bailey finished the year as the third man in the wing rotation with Ah Chee, Rayner, Lohmann, Cameron, Morris, Hipwood and Daniher as the forward seven.

He did quite well and actually ran really hard both ways which was my main concern with him in that position.

I see the Zac Bailey up for trade talks has started earlier this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We run Smith and Oscar like we ran Martin and Oscar in 2019 and 2020. Both are 200+ cm so Logan would still most likely only attract the third tall defender. Smith showed he has something in him.
Henry has something in him as a ruck I agree... but I just do not see it as a key forward at AFL level, too slow for that role IMO.

Brandon Ryan looks like a bust and is slow as well sadly.

I see the Zac Bailey up for trade talks has started earlier this year
He's probably the guy we'd be happier to lose over our other mids. Especially with Levi coming in.

I mentioned earlier this about not playing our tall forwards for the first 5-6 games due to high humidity / slippery dew early in the season. Maybe next season it would time to trial this and give Joe and Eric and bit more time off. Go smaller and play more chaos at the season start.

He's probably the guy we'd be happier to lose over our other mids. Especially with Levi coming in.

Definitely not with Joe possibly retiring though. We'll need to lean on our half forwards and small forwards even more without him, so no reason to force him out.

We'll definitely find a spot for Levi too.

Bailey finished the year as the third man in the wing rotation with Ah Chee, Rayner, Lohmann, Cameron, Morris, Hipwood and Daniher as the forward seven.

He did quite well and actually ran really hard both ways which was my main concern with him in that position.

That may be but three from Saturday have to make way for linc, Levi, Coleman etc. I don’t see a permanent role for Bailey, so if we can get something good for him, now is the time.

I still think we need to bring at least one experienced guy in, whether it be a plug and play for a year or someone for a bit longer. I know I keep banging on about it but heaven forbid we cop injuries up there like we did down back this year. We'd be screwed.

I think given we continued to play Eric when he could barely kick 40m shows that we don't really rate the internal alternatives. Still don't know what we were thinking offering Ryan the 3 years, but as it is we did, so let's hope he may show a bit more.

Basically for next year we just need some warm bodies who can compete when we kick down the line. If that is Henry Smith, great. I wouldn't be relying on that player to contribute a heap of goals, but that's ok.

If we are really bargain hunting I have a vision:

1727744259365.png

From the Age: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-on-future-at-right-time-20240930-p5keog.html

The Lions are not expected to have a busy trade period with Deven Robertson a chance to consider his options after rebuffing interest from West Coast last year to re-sign with the club, although he has given no indication he wants to leave, and Jaxon Prior expected to attract some interest after failing to cement a spot in 2024.

Brisbane’s priority will be acquiring enough draft selections to have the required points to match expected bids on father-son prospect Levi Ashcroft, the younger brother of Norm Smith medal winner, Will Ashcroft, and Lions’ academy graduate Sam Marshall who was best on ground in the Coates Talent League grand final.

If Daniher wanted to finish up, the club would expect to restructure their forwardline knowing that any attempt to obtain a replacement in the upcoming trade period would be unrealistic.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back