List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

You’d have to expect the WA clubs to make serious plays for Starc but without anything, would be surprised if he left. He seems the loyal type to me.

He’s already here with his uncle so I don’t see him missing family too much. Pretty sure his cousin plays for Collingwood VFL so maybe we could always try and lure him up.

Maybe we can sell Joe on a late start to the year and an extended mid-season break?
Don't think it's about the conditions with Joe.

He doesn't want to play unless he can fully commit with every other player.

And if he isn't fully committed in his mind he's done.

I think just see what develops . He put a lot in this year.

Maybe he's just tired of the whole thing and all that goes with it.

I wouldn't be making him any concessions because that's not what he wants,

If he retires I'd just give him time. Joe's not the type to welcome any personal pressure.

The one out of left field we could go for late in the draft is Wylie Buzza. Ready made. Experienced. A good short term solution.
I feel like this would be even worse than pursuing Tom Lynch. At least Lynch was a good player once. Buzza tries but he just isn't that talented.

I'd rather take a flier on someone who is young and hungry but hasn't yet been given an opportunity to shine.

He’s already here with his uncle so I don’t see him missing family too much. Pretty sure his cousin plays for Collingwood VFL so maybe we could always try and lure him up.

We don’t need to do this stuff anymore. We’re in the window guys.

Don't think it's about the conditions with Joe.

He doesn't want to play unless he can fully commit with every other player.

And if he isn't fully committed in his mind he's done.

I think just see what develops . He put a lot in this year.

Maybe he's just tired of the whole thing and all that goes with it.

I wouldn't be making him any concessions because that's not what he wants,

If he retires I'd just give him time. Joe's not the type to welcome any personal pressure.

Someone in the media (can’t remember who) on Sunday said that from what they’ve heard this isn’t actually the first time this has happened; apparently similar talks happened last year at the very least - it’s just this is the first time it has been reported on publicly.

Can still go either way with that though - maybe the flag was the driving factor and now he’s got that he’s happy to give it up; or maybe after a well-earned break he’ll be back for more.

As most feel here though imagine, whatever decision he makes will be the right one. Would love him to play on, but if he doesn’t think he can give it his all then you can’t fault him for being honest.

I appreciate it all but it’s also kind of ridiculous. A 30 year old walking away from $1million is insane. Especially when you’ve got no real injuries anymore. Joe has always been a bit different hasn’t he. Just really glad we got the full Joe experience and he got the flag.

Inside Trading

Giants Sweat On Compo Call
Collingwood's move for Harry Perryman will come close to being the biggest free agency deal made this off-season, triggering hopes at Greater Western Sydney that it could earn the club Band 1 compensation.
The difference between Band 1 and Band 2 compensation for the Giants currently stands at pick No.15 or No.19, pending an AFL outcome likely to arrive over the weekend, but could have significant ramifications throughout the Trade Period.
Brisbane's No.18 pick could also be impacted, with a host of clubs already in talks with the Lions over trading for that selection given it will almost certainly be eaten up by an early bid on father-son gun Levi Ashcroft.

Another Year For Irish Defender
Irishman Darragh Joyce has secured another contract at Brisbane after agreeing to terms on a one-year extension with the Lions.
The 27-year-old played six games of the final nine games of the 2024 home and away season before Jack Payne returned just in time for September.
Joyce was one of the emergencies on Grand Final day and was included in the 26-man squad across all four finals.
After playing 13 games across six seasons at St Kilda, Joyce has added extra key defensive depth at the Gabba since being signed during the pre-season supplemental selection period at the start of last year.
Joyce played five senior games in 2023 and has now played 11 in total for the Lions.
Next year will be the ninth season in the AFL for the former Kilkenny hurling player. – Josh Gabelich

Has Joe missed any games since coming to the Lions? Played 96 games over 4 seasons, played 15 games in the previous 3 seasons at the Bombers.

6 weeks (5 games) with that shoulder injury in 2022 was about it I think.

EDIT: and the 2002 semi final for the birth of his child. So has played 96 of 102 games for the Lions.

Joyce extension is great news.

It's nice to see club backing our own depth rather than chasing the perceived superior depth out there. It's nice to continue with good people who have provided reliable fallback options at the time of need.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s Maty Hammelman up to these days?
I mentioned him earlier today.

SKyyj-.gif

Why the dislike for Tom Lynch?

I haven’t heard anything bad about him off field, and I can’t recall him doing anything worse than what Zorko has done on the field.
Turning 32 this month and only played 8 games in the last 2 years for the Tigers.. his body could be cooked is probably the issue with most.

Turning 32 this month and only played 8 games in the last 2 years for the Tigers.. his body could be cooked is probably the issue with most.
He's cooked.

But we've uncooked a couple of blokes before.

At his age I'm saying no.

When you win one you can fall quickly into the trap of thinking what do we need to do to get it done again next year.

Whereas the best policy is to still keep looking 3-4 years out.

If you don't fall away then you're always a chance.

Don't want any has beens ,never wases , or aged cooked ex champs.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back