List Mgmt. 2024 List management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

This is solely for list management discussion, Trades discussion goes in the trade thread, and Draft prospect discussion goes in it's relevant thread.

NameFinal YearYears Service*Status
Angus Hastie20252Unknown
Angus McLennan20242Non-Free Agent
Anthony Caminiti20264Non-Free Agent
Arie Schoenmaker20252Unknown
Ben Paton20247Non-Free Agent
Brad Crouch20255Non-Free Agent
Bradley Hill20278Restricted Free Agent
Callum Wilkie20279Restricted Free Agent
Cooper Sharman20244Non-Free Agent
Daniel Butler20245Non-Free Agent
Darcy Wilson20263Non-Free Agent
Dougal Howard20245Non-Free Agent
Hugo Garcia20252Unknown
Hunter Clark20258Restricted Free Agent
Isaac Keeler20242Non-Free Agent
Jack Hayes20243Non-Free Agent
Jack Higgins20277Non-Free Agent
Jack Sinclair202713Unrestricted Free Agent
Jack Steele202711Unrestricted Free Agent
James Van Es20242DELISTED
Jimmy Webster202413Unrestricted Free Agent
Josh Battle20248UFA - leaving for Hawthorn
Lance Collard20263Non-Free Agent
Liam Henry20274Non-Free Agent
Liam O'Connell20252Unknown
Liam Stocker20242Unrestricted Free Agent
Marcus Windhager20254Non-Free Agent
Mason Wood20244UFA + 3 years (2027)
Mattaes Phillipou20264Non-Free Agent
Matthew Allison20244DELISTED
Max Hall20252Non-Free Agent
Max Heath20244Non-Free Agent
Max King20268Restricted Free Agent
Mitchito Owens20254Non-Free Agent
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera20254Non-Free Agent
Olli Hotton20242Non-Free Agent
Paddy Dow20263Non-Free Agent
Riley Bonner20241DELISTED
Rowan Marshall202711Unrestricted Free Agent
Ryan Byrnes20245Non-Free Agent
Sebastian Ross202413DELISTED
Tim Membrey202410Unrestricted Free Agent
Tom Campbell20243DELISTED
Zaine Cordy20253Non-Free Agent
Zak Jones20245Non-Free Agent
* Years service at end of contract.
Free Agency - Friday, October 4 and will run until Friday, October 11.
Trade Period - Monday, October 7 and will run until Wednesday, October 16.
National Draft - Round One - Wednesday, November 20 followed by the remaining rounds of the
National Draft - The rest - Thursday, November 21.
Rookie and Pre-Season Draft - Friday, November 22.

Last edited:
You can't nominate a side until the trade window opens that's a AFL rule unless you are an un restricted agent

I didn’t know that. Thanks for clarifying.

It may be an AFL rule but it’s almost certainly illegal in a wider sense. Probably should be a rule the AFL gets rid of.

Whether a player is an UFA, FA or contracted shouldn’t make any difference whether a player is allowed to nominate a club. It’s just codifying restraint in the rules.

Limit the amount of things that can be potentially disputed.

In reality it’s all negotiated behind the scenes and the media reports it anyway. Defeats the purpose of the rule.

I would like to see St Kilda out of the "Back-up Player" business until if, and when, we actually become a contender.

Having players like Campbell and Cordy on our list in recent times has just been slowing down our ability to build a better team.

We need to keep churning through players to find players who can improve our best 23.

Now this can be via bother older and younger players, as well late bloomers. Hawks and Cats have both shown that different routes can improve your team BUT you have to pick the right players. Now not all will make it, but picking players like Cordy and Campbell who were never going to be part of good quality best 23 is just being defeatist.

Dalrymple our Talent Identification and Player Movement Manager is arguably the most important person at the Saints at present. Now do not get me wrong to become better we need many people to do many things well. But we all know we lack talent, and many of us are off the belief that better talent in our midfield is in particular required to move up, and stay up the ladder.

Our picks and trades this year could really make of break our chances for the nest 5 years. I very much see this year as a List Build Tipping Point. Get them right, and we can build on the momentum from our recent good drafting of younger players. Get them wrong, and we could teeter and then others may choose to like Battle leave us for greener pastures. Combined with the Tassie Team coming in to thin out the available talent available, we desperately need to make the right calls in the upcoming trade and draft period..

I fully expect that we will again draft in young players, but also bring in some mature players. The acquisition cost of those mature players will be quite critical. I hope that we do not go for overly go for a quick sugar fix that may help us next year, but nobble our chances over the longer period.

You need a layer of solid older GOP talent to guide the kids. Players like Campbell guide and coach the kids and help them play in competitive VFL sides. You don't want to bottom out hard. You can have players slip out without ever meeting potential otherwise.

Like everything there needs to be a balance. We have a huge youth pool now and really probably need to start to refine the strategy and develop what we have while using high picks and perhaps trading in to take less players of higher quality. We don't lack talent, we have heaps of good quality depth. What we need is one or two to go up to an elite level. Sydney jumped us because Gulden and Warner went to a level above and Heeney stepped up to his potential.

I think we are probably an elite mid and a third tall back off a top 4 spot. Get there and who knows what you can do. This year a very average side might win a flag.

We need to hope Phillipou, Henry, Owens, Wilson, Windhager, Sharman types can step up a level and players like Dow, Clark, King, Butler etc all have a good injury run and play to potential. We are due some luck after a few really shit injury years.

Training services need an urgent review too.

You do realise that every team in the comp has older back ups. Contending teams have more than most.

Did you perhaps not read the second part of the sentence?

I would like to see St Kilda out of the "Back-up Player" business until if, and when, we actually become a contender.

Completely unrealistic to expect any team

.It was not on "any team". My post was on St Kilda who are in list build mode.

to stop bringing in ready-to-go types

What is ready-to-go? To me it means they are capable of being in your best 23.

Take Bonner, Club brought him in this year as a "ready-to-go types", one whom they presumably believed had an upside if the the coaches could get him to improve aspects of his game. They could not, and so Bonner is gone.

I have no problems with this as the intent was to improve the list.

Cordy is not improving list. He is holding us back. Out of contract at the end of 2025. The Einstein that signed him to a 3 years deal is now gone. Mind you that Einstein probably also thought that we were going to be a contender die to all their "brilliant" moves.

that cost nothing

You clearly do not understand the a list spot has an "opportunity " value. Bringing in someone who will never be good enough to be best 23 is just guaranteeing you one less chance at becoming a better team.

We need to keep churning thru players to find better players.

and fill an immediate need.

Did I say that ? No I did not. Or did I say to bring in only players who are either best 23 capable now or might get better to become so?

Now Macrae is for example a player who is capable of being in our 23 immediately. A player who is capable of helping our younger talent to bloom.

But if you want more Cordy and Campbell types who are not capable being true best 23 players then go for it. That is just two spots guaranteed to not ever help us become a contender.

We are in list build mode. I would rather bring in a ruck that may be get better, than a ruck who simple will not get picked.

And as I said, if and when we do become a contender, that is when you might pick up a pure back up type player.

You need a layer of solid older GOP talent to guide the kids.

Yes fully agree. But not to recruit older players who are not capable of being in your best 23. Frawley and Rowe being two more examples of players we should never have picked up.

And if you are ok to have Campbell as a mentor at Sandy, then hire him as a Sandy player and not waste a spot on the St Kilda list.

I think we are probably an elite mid and a third tall back off a top 4 spot. Get there and who knows what you can do. This year a very average side might win a flag.
Agreed, although I think a link-up forward is a big need as well, all the best teams have them. Maybe Henry is the answer, hopefully he gets some continuity. There's also an unhealthy reliance on the backmen and the ruckman to stay fit, the cavalry appears a way off.

All that said if we're not contending next year I don't know the meaning of the word. 90% of the puzzle pieces are there and the rest just needs a bit of luck. Trading 8 (and whatever else) for Houston makes so much sense to me, he takes us to another level immediately and not in 4 years' time when our senior players are preparing to hang them up. Every chance the mid at 24 turns out as good as the mid at 8. Macrae on the other hand barely moves the needle and I'd only be interested if he came for virtually nothing.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong in case there's been any contract extensions of late, but it looks like we're the only club with no players contracted beyond 2027.
I actually like that. Have a look at how many clubs are getting into trouble with big money, long term contracts. Gives us more flexibility.

Harry Boyd- Norwood & Magarey medalist this year, might be a useful cheap Ruck option. Only 198cm though, same size as Toby Nankervis.

Jack Martin's legs must be nothing but bone and scar tissue at this point. Carlton choosing to delist him instead of trying to get even a token pick for points on the Camporeale twins says a lot.

Harry Boyd- Norwood & Magarey medalist this year, might be a useful cheap Ruck option. Only 198cm though, same size as Toby Nankervis.

Do we still have our SA based draft sniper over there?

Much prefer this idea to Soldo or Reeves, would cost nothing and is ready to go. In the same way that Jackson seems wasted up forward whenever Darcy plays, I'd hate to see us go down the same path with Marshall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much prefer this idea to Soldo or Reeves, would cost nothing and is ready to go. In the same way that Jackson seems wasted up forward whenever Darcy plays, I'd hate to see us go down the same path with Marshall.

I havent seen him play (Harry Boyd) but he must go alright to win the Margarey, he would have to worth looking at. If Gallagher was still at the club he would be a monty.

Last edited:
Jack Martin's legs must be nothing but bone and scar tissue at this point. Carlton choosing to delist him instead of trying to get even a token pick for points on the Camporeale twins says a lot.

Martin asked to be delisted

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back