List Mgmt. 2024 List Mgmt

Remove this Banner Ad

Billings had a contract

Acres wanted to stay

Gresham could have been matched.
Yep - but would it have been good list management?

Billings had 2 years to go on his contract BUT we didn't think he was worth what we were paying - even paying Melbourne part of his salary probably saves us $300K+ a year

Acres had a year to go on his contract so he could have stayed if he actually wanted to but choose to go to Freo because they offered him an extra 2 years on his contract after which they gave him away for nothing.

Letting Jade Gresham go saved us $500K and got us an end of 1st rounder compo pick.

Gringo (and anyone else), if we'd kept Gresham and Billings instead of letting them go to rival clubs, do you think we'd be:

A. higher up the ladder?
B. a stronger team?
C. playing more attractive football?
D. in a better position for the short-term?
E. in a better position for the next 4 years until they retire?
F. in a better position long term?

Do you think the Dons or Dees would be:
G. lower down the ladder?
H. a weaker team?
I. playing less attractive football?
J. in a worse position for the short-term?
K. in a worse position for the next 4 years until they retire?
L. in a worse position long term?

Players leave clubs all the time. Good players. Clubs in the window with big possibilities for negative consequences. It doesn't seem to negatively affect their future, provided its not loads of players en masse (Cough NORF cough) and their voids are filled from the squad, trades or the draft.

We all hung s**t on Collingwood trading out Stephenson, Treloar, etc but who's laughing now?

On the other hand we've managed to keep most of our players until they've retired or been delisted - has that strong group cohesion had any positive benefits to our club? Hard to say but I certainly can't see many, put it that way.

Getting the culture right and keeping the squad dog hungry seems far more important to a club's progression.

Having said that, I have this fear running down my spine that Jack Steele will be the new Luke Ball...

We would probably have been higher up the ladder IMO. Gresham is definitely helping Essendon. Billings was probably not getting played but paying him to play for Melbourne is embarrassing.

I guess it comes down to how we settle in. If we are a bottom 4 side for a couple of years do the kids walk out? Does building them up in the VFL do a better development job like Geelong and Sydney do? Does playing them in losing sides fast track them?

What we have done badly is sold off players that cost high picks for near zero return while most others seem able to recoup investment.

Have been thinking about our midfield which is our biggest issue right now and the most difficult to fix without landing a miracle trade or FA. With this year slowly wasting away, I really think we need to be testing our younger core and a few left field options.

Inside only
Steele - gets a lot of the ball but is a shell of the dual AA player he was, lacks impact and hurt factor. Could he play more forward?
Crouch - best midfielder last year, can find the ball but similar to Steele with lack of hurt factor. Not sure he and Steele or Ross should be in the same midfield all the time. Again - could he play more forward?
Ross - can't question his leadership and is often our best midfielder when the team is playing badly. Can do a role at constest but players spread off him too easily. Nearing the end unless he finds another role - pressure forward leadership role?

Must starts:
Sinclair - for me has to start midfield every game. May be a slightly better half back but he is our best player with clean ball movement and good decision making. He can be covered at half back but cannot be covered in midfield.
Windhager - has stepped up this year averaging 22 touches and 4 clearances, and we saw his potential against Collingwood with 7 clearances. Must persist in midfield with occasional time at half back.

Rotations/trials:
Owens - for me he is our biggest chance of becoming an elite midfielder and getting out of this midfield mess. Contested bull but he does struggle to find the ball in the midfield at the moment. I would give him tagging roles to learn midfield craft. Nat Fyfe this weekend would be a perfect opponent for him. Can spend 30% forward. Prefer not to have him in the ruck unless desperate.
Henry - should be running through the midfield at least 20% of the time. Has the skill but not sure on contested game. Have to try it though.
Phillipou - this is difficult as long term his only position is as a starting midfielder due to his lack of pace. Will need to have 20+ to make an impact as a mid and can't do that yet. Have to persist with him, rotate forward and build up his confidence again.
Stocker - 90% settled in the back pocket but worth putting him in from time to time to see what he could do.
Battle - left field option but he spent time there v GWS and Port. Could he be a Blicavs type taller midfielder? Is settled in the backline though and we have messed him around by trying to make him a winger before. I would like to see it tried though.
Wanganeen-Milera - definitely more outside than inside, but has the skills and is clean with the ball. Worth trying on occasion but most suited to wing/half-back.
Clark - not sure where he fits right now, he does have the ability to evade tackles and win the ball. Probably a rotation with half back. Still 25 but you'd like to see him take another step.
Jones - purely a backup these days, has pace but tends to go missing and is injury prone.

Silly season started early -

Carlton’s superstar defender Jacob Weitering is set to become one of the highest-paid players in the AFL after St Kilda informally pitched him a multi-year offer worth $1.5 million per season.

Weitering, who is out of contract at the end of 2025 when he will become an unrestricted free agent, was recently made aware of the huge offer from the Saints. As The Scoop reported earlier this year, the Saints have a war chest at their disposal.

A source familiar with the situation, who wouldn’t speak publicly because of the sensitivity surrounding contract talks, has told this column St Kilda’s informal pitch to Weitering, 26, was based on an eight-year contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back