List Mgmt. 2024 List Mgmt

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Zeb player will come onto the rookie list, no? Not the main playing list.. who’s on there currently? The Irishman and Bonner? as far as I can remember

St Kilda and most AFL Teams* I believe one can have a max of 42 Senior Players and Cat A Rookies combined. You can also have upoto two Cat B Rookies
  • Senior Players cannot exceed 38
  • Cat A Rookies cannot exceed 6
*North, GC, Freo, Lions and Swans are allowed more (See https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2024 )

Hayes Cat A Rookie
Sharman Cat A Rookie
Heath Cat A Rookie
Hall Cat A Rookie
Caminiti Cat A Rookie

O'Connell Cat B Rookie
McLennan Cat B Rookie

Bonner is an UFA at the end of 2024

So we can add a Zeb as a Cat A Rookie:
= and keep all of our current Cat A Rookie, but delist a Senior List Player for him
= or delist a Cat A Rookie

You can also elevate rookies.

Last edited:
I’m guessing that we’ll see some re-signings over this bye week. Hill is one that must’ve been sorted, maybe Battle, Crouch, Owens?

Of the 20 or so out of contract, there should be quite a few who will get one year deals, so maybe they get announced post-season. Lot to work through.

I’m guessing that we’ll see some re-signings over this bye week. Hill is one that must’ve been sorted, maybe Battle, Crouch, Owens?

Of the 20 or so out of contract, there should be quite a few who will get one year deals, so maybe they get announced post-season. Lot to work through.
Did crouch hit a contract extension in the first game ?

The Zeb player will come onto the rookie list, no? Not the main playing list.. who’s on there currently? The Irishman and Bonner? as far as I can remember
It doesn't matter anymore. Gus and Irish sit outside the list, the rest is just one list sinc you can move players in and out of rookie status.

It doesn't matter anymore. Gus and Irish sit outside the list, the rest is just one list sinc you can move players in and out of rookie status.
One of those two will have to be delisted at the end of the year. We will add either Cole or Hofmann to a cat b spot

One of those two will have to be delisted at the end of the year. We will add either Cole or Hofmann to a cat b spot

Or elevated to the Rooke or Senior List.

Overall we need to make space from our currently listed players. So some older as well as younger players need to go.

Disposal - By Foot and Hand

Our list overall has to be just about the worst in this criteria in the AFL.

Recruiters will have a range of criteria they way up, and you do not expect that every player on your list will have very good ball skills. So come draft time they will have an order of players that they will draft in. Early on biased to say best available, and later in the draft probably giving a required role/type of player higher weighting.

I am personally convinced that our recruiters have in the past have not weighted disposal ability (both in the ability of deciding where to pass, as well as the ability to execute a pass) sufficiently highly enough, and that due to this that we tend to draft players that others have rated lower, but we have rated higher.

I am hoping this changes under Dalrymple.

I just watch other games at present and for me ball use of us and most teams is where we are poorest. Well that and midfield quality in general.

Good diposers are few and far between on our list. Sincs, Nas and the kid Arie. Hill at times is good, but at times he makes very poor decisions on where he is passing and so the ball gets cut off.

I watch other matches and the spread of good disposers seems to be much greater.

If I had to have an early guess as to who won't be on the list come next year.

Definates:
Allison

Most likely:
Jones
Membrey
Hotton
McLennan
Hayes

50/50
Paton
Byrnes
Campbell
Heath
Van es
Seb Ross (retired)- think they will keep him around 1 more year for leadership

Should get a short term contract:
Webster
Butler
Clark
Bonner
Sharman
Stocker

If I had to have an early guess as to who won't be on the list come next year.

Definates:
Allison

Most likely:
Jones
Membrey
Hotton
McLennan
Hayes

50/50
Paton
Byrnes
Campbell
Heath
Van es
Seb Ross (retired)- think they will keep him around 1 more year for leadership

Should get a short term contract:
Webster
Butler
Clark
Bonner
Sharman
Stocker

I think you are pretty close, but I believe more than 6 will go. RTB has had ample time to review players on our list, and Dalrymple having joined us will be I assume putting the line through some players as well.

That may be say Battle leaving as a UFA, or a trade.

Campbell may have given himself a lifeline with his showing against the Lions. Though Dalrymple may have a younger ruck in mind.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Likely that a 3-year deal for Hill will be announced soon. Butler and Webster should be imminent too. Crouch already hit a trigger so is locked in for 2025. Battle will be later. Not sure on Owens, he’s a bit down in form so he’ll probably wait too

Why are people so sure that Webster gets another year in 2025? Enters the year aged 31 and his position is the kind of position you can throw in a young kid/recycled guy (like Stocker). If we are serious that the age profile of our list needs to be younger, Webster surely is one that could be moved on?

Note: I rate Webster he is definitely in our 25 every week as a back pocket. Hastie is about the same hight and drafted as a half back... Arie is a bit taller but needs exposure. Surely we should be playing Hastie/Arie over Webster in 2025?

Why are people so sure that Webster gets another year in 2025? Enters the year aged 31 and his position is the kind of position you can throw in a young kid/recycled guy (like Stocker). If we are serious that the age profile of our list needs to be younger, Webster surely is one that could be moved on?

Note: I rate Webster he is definitely in our 25 every week as a back pocket. Hastie is about the same hight and drafted as a half back... Arie is a bit taller but needs exposure. Surely we should be playing Hastie/Arie over Webster in 2025?

I think Arie is too tall to play Webster's role. Plus probably not nimble enough.

If Battle does leave, then Arie in 2025 may be in that slot.

Last edited:

Jimmy has been in our best 22 all year... unless McLennan comes with a rush, he's definitely got another year in him.

Arie & Hastie play a different role.

Disposal - By Foot and Hand

Our list overall has to be just about the worst in this criteria in the AFL.

Recruiters will have a range of criteria they way up, and you do not expect that every player on your list will have very good ball skills. So come draft time they will have an order of players that they will draft in. Early on biased to say best available, and later in the draft probably giving a required role/type of player higher weighting.

I am personally convinced that our recruiters have in the past have not weighted disposal ability (both in the ability of deciding where to pass, as well as the ability to execute a pass) sufficiently highly enough, and that due to this that we tend to draft players that others have rated lower, but we have rated higher.

I am hoping this changes under Dalrymple.

I just watch other games at present and for me ball use of us and most teams is where we are poorest. Well that and midfield quality in general.

Good diposers are few and far between on our list. Sincs, Nas and the kid Arie. Hill at times is good, but at times he makes very poor decisions on where he is passing and so the ball gets cut off.

I watch other matches and the spread of good disposers seems to be much greater.

I think that's what Narkle's Helmet has been saying though. We don't train it. One of my kids footy coaches was telling me that when he went to the Dogs to help out at training he was helping do skills drills where they spend a lot of time training skills under duress.

Players going inside a small area with the whole team in with them and having to get the ball out through traffic at high tempo. Lots of skills under game game day scenarios on top of that.

I don't go to trainings these days but never saw that under either of the last 2 coaches and not sure I've seen anyone else suggesting we do it.

Guys that can kick are one thing but kicking under pressure is a different skill.

I don't think our age profile needs to be younger.
I think its a "observed" phenomenon, that teams have these sort of profiles.
If you try to fake it by artificially building such a profile it doesn't work.
If we replace players for no reason except you don't like our "profile" we still end up chasing our tail trying to replace everyone all the time.

Draft a player like Webster, replace him every 12-15 years.
Trade in Brad Hill , replace him every 4-8 years.
Draft a mature like Wilke , replace him every 5-9 years.

Some of them will obviously either slow down , or have injury issues that will finish their careers , but if you start shoving them out the door just because you don't like the numbers, you just create unnecessary pressure on a recruiting team that is already trying to play catchup.

Now if we had a raft of promising young players coming through, and we were going to need to de-list someone with a upside to keep the oldies, different story.

Campbell 32. We need another ruck before we can delist him. He's an ideal backup. ( 3 seasons ).
Seb 30. He seems to be slowing down and has not had many good games this year, probably near the end. (12 seasons)
Webster 30. I'm not seeing any signs of him slowing down, if he is, his experience is making up for it. Keep. (12 seasons)
Hill 30. I think he's playing some of his best footy for us , keep. (5 seasons ).
Wood 30. One of our best players, fit as hell. Keep. ( 4 seasons ).
Crouch 30. We need him , but if his knee is chronic, then we need to find a replacement( even if he is still on the list ).
Membrey 29. Not working out for him, slowing down or Lyon's game plan? Getting towards the end.
Sinclair 29 . Don't even think about it.
Jones 29. He's not as good as he was, and he wasn't that good in the first place.

Because its literally been reported that contract talks have opened with him.

If we want to be competitive next year, he is a required player. Act as a foil for the next wave coming through. You are making his role sound way too easy, lockdown medium defender isn't a learnable role for anyone. We saw Stocker play it when Webster was out and he was way worse. Hastie would get bodied every single 1v1 so theres no chance that happens in 2025, while Arie is not agile enough to take on the likes of Papley/Cameron/Rankine etc.

I don't think our age profile needs to be younger.
I think its a "observed" phenomenon, that teams have these sort of profiles.
If you try to fake it by artificially building such a profile it doesn't work.
If we replace players for no reason except you don't like our "profile" we still end up chasing our tail trying to replace everyone all the time.
If we all agree the list isn't good enough to contend for a premiership in the next 2 years, there are three options. Continue banging our head against the wall (current list), get older (free agency/trades) or go young.

Blind freddy will tell you, we will have a huge cull the next 18 months and bring in another 10-12 kids. That is just plain reality. To accomplish that, you have to make tough decisions. If it was up to me, I would move on the following:

Paton, Membrey, Z Jones, T Campbell, Webster and Alison. Seb gets one more year. I would delist Hotton and rookie him.

FYI AFL age profile analysis: https://www.afl.com.au/news/1066782/list-analysis-where-does-your-club-rank-for-age-and-experience

Delist:

Jones
Hayes
Membrey
Allison
Paton
Campbell

plus
Crouch - if the injury is as reported

Hotton replaces Caminiti on the rookie list

(I'd like to get Ross & Bonner off our list too, but this won't happen)

We need more from everyone, but particularly the following if they are to stay on our list:
Collard
Clark
Byrnes
Stocker
Butler
Keeler
Van Es - focusing on his pre-injury form obvs
Heath
Sharman
Caminiti

Status
Not open for further replies.