List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

l don't see that he is quick, we need genuine line breaking speed with good skills.
On the outside yes but we still need a terrier for the in and under stuffā€¦like libba

Lord is no libba but heā€™s best we have in that regard and heā€™s still young so scope for improvement.

On the outside it would be good to have a power/burst with a good kick.

A big part of our issues is how we pass into f50ā€¦fixing that would make us instantly better.

Do we need to go down the mature bodied acquisition path while Voss is at the helm? Thereā€™s enough evidence to suggest draftees wonā€™t be getting games (other than Cowan and Ollie). Spending our primo picks on the Houston types is probably more beneficial than what we see with your Binns types.
Drafting smaller bodied players is a waste anyway unless they are highly skilled - binns types shouldn't be picked up through drafting you know he is three to four years off when you draft him. We have had to many of his body type through this rebuild - Dow sps fish obrien fin and more -- it's a physically demanding game the number of slight fragile built players that make it is few .

And thatā€™s where the problem lays
I donā€™t see the problem then. You either want the star players to stay and pay them or you want them to walk.
What successful side has ever not paid their stars? Weitering and TDK will take unders to stay but like every successful side in the past you still have to pay them somewhat close to what they are worth.

If you donā€™t want too many million dollar players then you let TDK and Weitering walk. Or trade Cripps, Walsh, McKay, Curnow types. You canā€™t just pay them even less because they are already taking less then they could otherwise get

I would respect the club if it came out and said, off the bat we are in rebuild mode, rather than sugar coat things

I highly doubt weā€™ll hear anything like that from the club. In his post game interview Weitering said ā€œweā€™re entering a window of opportunityā€ in the coming years, so I reckon the club thinks the list is close. I also think that view is backed up by the lack of activity we are hearing in trade circles with us only really being linked to Haynes so far which isnā€™t really going to move the dial much. Personally I think our list is pretty thin. We have elite top end talent then a massive drop off after the first 10-12 players in our best 22, not to mention 5-6 players who are seldom available due to injury. Iā€™ve lost a faith bit of belief that this group (players, coaches, admin) can actually achieve the ultimate success.

I still strongly believe this is a Top 4 side with a good run with injury and a modern game plan

B: Docherty Silvagni McGovern
HB: Ollie Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Binns
HF: Elijah Kemp Williams
F: McKay Charlie Moir
Foll: TDK Cerra Walsh
Int: Cowan Newman Wilson Hewett Kennedy Lord B. Campo Cincotta Fogarty plus some gun draftees and smart trades

McKay to play 2nd Ruck
Need X factor small fwd
Elijah needs to step up as mid

Need to start to move on from Saad Newman Hewett during year and introduce Lord Binns Moir Wilson as regulars

Names like Berry Sinn Garcia Wicks would help

Drafting smaller bodied players is a waste anyway unless they are highly skilled - binns types shouldn't be picked up through drafting you know he is three to four years off when you draft him. We have had to many of his body type through this rebuild - Dow sps fish obrien fin and more -- it's a physically demanding game the number of slight fragile built players that make it is few .
I thought Binns did well in his limited time in the ones. It's his job to get to a lot of contests and deliver it well, not smash in like the skipper. FWIW I think the coach agrees with you though.

Already said positions of need in original postā€¦

Mid/Late First - Cerra
Late First/ Early Second - Kennedy & Kemp
Second - Owies & Pittonet (Inflated due to league shortage)
Early Third - Williams & Cottrell
Third - Motlop & Carroll
Fourth - Durdin

Cerra has had 5 hamstrings in 12 months.

Youā€™d struggle to get that.

Kennedy isnā€™t getting you a first, maybe a 3rd.

Williams would be for free or we could get anyone to take on his salary.

Some of these suggestions are clearly blue coloured views and then youā€™d also need to replace said players list spots with a bunch of delisted free agents or VFL players because youā€™d be bundling these picks to try and move up the draft or obtain a 2-3 players.

I still strongly believe this is a Top 4 side with a good run with injury and a modern game plan

Int: Cowan Newman Wilson Hewett Kennedy Lord B. Campo Cincotta Fogarty plus some gun draftees and smart trades

McKay to play 2nd Ruck
Need X factor small fwd

Need to start to move on from Saad Newman Hewett during year and introduce Lord Binns Moir Wilson as regulars
Sorry Soap but with that forward line we wouldn't win a game. The game has shifted towards speed, pressure and kicking skills. Sending high half forwards up to the contest to help slow opposition ball movement and then opening up space behind them when they get the ball back.

Theres not a single player in that whole mix who would pressure in the slightest.

I would put Cerra and Kemp on the trade table. Cerra looked horrible last night, couldn't keep up.

I'm in favour of a mini rebuild now while bringing in cheap durable options like MacDonald and/or Haynes. Garcia, Wicks and so forth.

Aim for 3 - 4 picks inside the top 30 plus Campo boys.

Durdin and Fantasia on 2 year contracts is a disaster. Both should be delisted Monday morning.

Delist Marchbank, Cuningham, Dominic, Sam Durdin, Martin (if we can't trade him).

Williams, Fantasia and Durdin go as soon as their contract ends. We need to turn this list over so it's more adaptable to the modern game. Speed, speed, speed.

Back the kids we've got and get some games into them next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry Soap but with that forward line we wouldn't win a game. The game has shifted towards speed, pressure and kicking skills. Sending high half forwards up to the contest to help slow opposition ball movement and then opening up space behind them when they get the ball back.

Theres not a single player in that whole mix who would pressure in the slightest.

I donā€™t disagree but I still believe itā€™s more structure than player. There is no way that ALL of them can be consistently in as bad a form at the one time. At times Williams Durdin Motlop Fantasia have shown a lot more ability

My question is why are they all struggling at once? They look slow, hesitant and lacking on confidence. The worst traits for a small forward

They may not become world beaters, but there is no way they are as bad as what they are currently showing

McKay to play 2nd Ruck
Need X factor small fwd

Names like Berry Sinn Garcia Wicks would help
We are going to need to inject 3-5 new players into our team to challenge, there is absolutely no front half quickness in that team.
JSOS won't be in defence.
Moir is one l can see making a difference, we need to go heavily to the draft and find some players & identify some external trade options.

McDonald from Melbourne good enough for our 2nd KPD - is Tomlinson big enough

I have been one pushing for another KPD. However, after watching other sides like Hawks, Cats, Swans and GWS over the last month, is it a must have?

The modern game is becoming more and more about mobility and run. Cats had even taken DeKoning from KPD to ruck and let Stewart Henry & Kolo play on taller players. None are massive KPD

Hawks look very mobile with Sicily, Scrimshaw & Frost as taller players.

If we get Haynes as mid tall option I would play Silvagni as another taller defender along with McGovern. Cowan can play tall on certain players. Young is a decent genuine tall back up and do we keep Akeui?

IMO our off season focus should be on running defenders, wings and X factor forwards. IMO itā€™s run and ball use we need

I donā€™t disagree but I still believe itā€™s more structure than player. There is no way that ALL of them can be consistently in as bad a form at the one time. At times Williams Durdin Motlop Fantasia have shown a lot more ability

My question is why are they all struggling at once? They look slow, hesitant and lacking on confidence. The worst traits for a small forward

They may not become world beaters, but there is no way they are as bad as what they are currently showing
Yes they are. I've been spouting it for years now, we have the WORST small forwards in the league. By a mile! Imo Fogarty is the only one worth a grain of salt, isn't a prolific goal kicker but the rest of his game is very good.

Motlop and Durdin have absolutely no idea how to function in the role, Orazio's body is just totally cooked, Owies is athletically subpar and selfish at times. Williams just not fit coming off injury (as always)

Moir has the tank of an auskicker atm but you could see instantly he knew the right areas to move to and how to draw a kickers eye with a lead. A natural forward.

I watched Motlop and Durdin like a hawk last night and they simply have no idea what they're doing in both defense and attack. Durdin sent to shut down Zorko and he was no where near him half the time while Zorko racked up uncontested possession after uncontested possession and sliced us to pieces.

Kemp, who knows what he could do with a pre season training as a forward, but I can't say I'm convinced. Imo he'd be best played as a wingman.

Must be addressed this off season, absolutely must be!

Cerra out to free up cap space, maybe even pay some of his salary.

Any fringe player with some pace and skill at another AFL side should be strongly considered.

I have been one pushing for another KPD. However, after watching other sides like Hawks, Cats, Swans and GWS over the last month, is it a must have?

The modern game is becoming more and more about mobility and run. Cats had even taken DeKoning from KPD to ruck and let Stewart Henry & Kolo play on taller players. None are massive KPD

If we get Haynes as mid tall option I would play Silvagni as another taller defender along with McGovern. Cowan can play tall on certain players. Young is a decent genuine tall back up and do we keep Akeui?

IMO our off season focus should be on running defenders, wings and X factor forwards. IMO itā€™s run and ball use we need
One top notch tall forward and defender is all you need if you can apply pressure and move the ball quickly.

How many times have we seen Curnow have a massive mismatch but not exploit it due to the delivery of the ball due to opposition pressure.

Yes they are. I've been spouting it for years now, we have the WORST small forwards in the league. By a mile! Imo Fogarty is the only one worth a grain of salt, isn't a prolific goal kicker but the rest of his game is very good.

Motlop and Durdin have absolutely no idea how to function in the role, Orazio's body is just totally cooked, Owies is athletically subpar and selfish at times. Williams just not fit coming off injury (as always)

Moir has the tank of an auskicker atm but you could see instantly he knew the right areas to move to and how to draw a kickers eye with a lead. A natural forward.

I watched Motlop and Durdin like a hawk last night and they simply have no idea what they're doing in both defense and attack. Durdin sent to shut down Zorko and he was no where near him half the time while Zorko racked up uncontested possession after uncontested possession and sliced us to pieces.

Kemp, who knows what he could do with a pre season training as a forward, but I can't say I'm convinced. Imo he'd be best played as a wingman.

Must be addressed this off season, absolutely must be!

Maybe. I still think they are a lot better than they are showing. The question is how much better

I find it very hard to judge players when I believe we are just playing dumb football that makes it hard on everybody

Seriously, how many of our players have improved and really stepped up this year?

Tomlinson is rubbish, why do people keep bringing him up?
He's been tried at two clubs and been found wanting, too timid to be a genuine KPD.

We have one genuine option on the list, even if only a developmental option, the answer is clearly: Yes
You don't need a legion of 200cm players, you do however need players capable of beating marking options 1v1, something we don't have.

Between the arcs is what killed us last night, coupled with conceding 20 marks inside d50.
Geelong only had 2 more in their demolishing of Port.

Pretty happy to tear down some of this list and move to bringing in some running players with good kicking skills.

1 of our stars should be on the trade table and if we can end up with 3 picks inside the top 20 we have done well.

You either go all in on this list next year and potentially fail and fall away at at really horrible time before TAS come into it or we luck out with a premiership. I have major doubt this team is good enough to get a premiership tbh and Iā€™d certainly be happy to grab players like Berry, Lalor, Gross, Travaglia in this draft as well as look to bring in Stone, Rosas and Garcia as cheap trades to really add something extra to our list.

If Iā€™m going with what would instantly make us a better side next year

Aleer from GWS
Rosas from GC
Lukosious from GC
Butters from Port

Aleer instantly shores up the backline and gives us a key defender for 10 years

Rosas is an improvement on Durdin and Motlop, puts pressure on them to get better

Lukosious is on a fair bit of coin but his field kicking and ability to score as a 3rd tall would help us immensely. Connection up forward would hopefully improve and he snags a few on his own as the third tall (replaces to always injured Martin and puts pressure on Silvagni and Kemp to perform)

Butters is impossible, it would never happen but his burst would change us. Sides would have to think about who they tag out of him, Cripps and Walsh. If only

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back