List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

My take is definitely need another key back. Not sure if young is the answer. The midfield lacks pace itā€™s a good midfield team but theyā€™re all one pace. I think someone with breakout speed would be great. Lastly a small forward that kicks goals and tackles.

Lots of criticism of Nick Austin but again, I rate him.

He has found us Boyd, Cincotta and Lord for nothing.

Got E Hollands for little. Acres for little.

If we arenā€™t doing a full rebuild, we are going to need Austinā€™s instincts to find us role players on the cheap.

Problem is that SOS built this list for an outdated style of football and non of his silk/fast players worked out - Martin, Fisher, SPS etc.

We need one more reliable key back, two good small forwards and pace.

Mini miracle needed

I want to add to this, so far weā€™ve lost:
SPS, Paddy Dow, Fisher and Stocker.

Despite some knee jerk reactions, none of these would have made us any better last night.

The biggest mistake was being sucked in by last year and thinking we didnā€™t need to make changes.

Persisting with Cuningham, Martin and S. Durdin and not looking for reinforcements was the big X I have for his tenure.

Motlop, Durdin, Orazio, Owies

Name me 4 worse small forwards in the competition.

Not the only issues we had out there tonight and Owies was suspended but dear god every teams half forwards put us to the sword time and time again while ours weave daisy chains and trip over their own arses
The reality is that apart from the two big boppers, our forward half is bog ordinary. Martin adds so much to it when he's out there, but of course never is.

Either way, I'd trade Owies and delist Fantasia in a heartbeat. For mine, neither will be in our next premiership team, and at at 28 and 29yo respectively going into the next season, aren't are future either.

Owies has trade value according to the media, so trade while he has currency. Can see Moir taking over his role in 2025.

Orazio was a very good player in his prime, but these days has more of a cameo role. All class, but not enough output.

Motlop I have serious doubts about....I've said it before, but I'm not convinced he's that serious about playing football. Highly talented, but conditional. OOC the end of 2025, so would want a big year next year - AND get himself into peak fitness over summer.

I'm still a huge Durds fan - you look back at his highlights reel from 2022 to see what he's capable of delivering - although hasn't been the same player over the past few years. I reckon injuries and confidence have had a lot to do with it, and at 22yo still has time to turn it around. I don't have a problem offering him a new contract when we did.

Fog is a keeper - good role player.

Personally, I'd like to see us add a couple more younger small forwards to the list in 2025. The ones I reckon we should consider would be:

• Jacob Konstanty - former 1st round pick still only 19yo, OOC the end of the year. You'd likely get him for a 2nd.
  • Joe Berry - 2024 1st round pick if available
  • Will White - 19yo, Carlton VFL. Rookie selection. Has been very good all year - 3rd in our B&F and won the Best Young Player award. IMO, he offers more than Motlop as it currently stands.

I would respect the club if it came out and said, off the bat we are in rebuild mode, rather than sugar coat things

You donā€™t need to completely rebuild with a list that has the all Australian full back, 2 recent Coleman medallistā€™s in their prime, Cripps who might win the Brownlow, Walsh and TDK (who by the way last night showed once our moronic coaching staff entered him into the game what a point of difference he is even off one leg).

All of the above players have plenty of good football left. No what this needs is a game plan adjustment along with better small forwards and outside run and ball movement. Apart from the players I listed Iā€™d have anyone else on the trade table to land us 1 or 2 better small forwards and 1-2 outside mids/wingers with elite footskills. A Dā€™Ambrosio type or two who doesnā€™t cost the earth but can put the footy on a 20 cent piece coming off the back of the square, the square or the wing is what this team needs, and a pre season adjusting our leading patterns. Our wingers at the moment are Acres and Ollie Hollands and as hard as both of those guys run and work for us their footskills are atrocious so when we do get the ball outside we canā€™t cut up anything or anyone because our skills donā€™t allow it. The same happens with our mids ā€¦ Hewett Walsh and Cripps arenā€™t good users.

So between Acres, O Hollands, Hewett Walsh and Cripps we donā€™t really carve teams up do we? Add small forwards who canā€™t crumb or apply pressure and you get where weā€™re at.

This team needs an injection of speed and kicking skills. We have some pieces to move to make this happen. Austin just needs to get creative and the coaches need to change the game plan. The base is definitely there for at least another 3-4 seasons with cripps, Walsh, Tdk weiters Charlie and Harry we just need to get creative on the periphery and creative quickly. This is all on the coaches and administration to make the necessary tweaks starting this pre season.

The reality is that apart from the two big boppers, our forward half is bog ordinary. Martin adds so much to it when he's out there, but of course never is.

Either way, I'd trade Owies and delist Fantasia in a heartbeat. For mine, neither will be in our next premiership team, and at at 28 and 29yo respectively going into the next season, aren't are future either.

Owies has trade value according to the media, so trade while he has currency. Can see Moir taking over his role in 2025.

Orazio was a very good player in his prime, but these days has more of a cameo role. All class, but not enough output.

Motlop I have serious doubts about....I've said it before, but I'm not convinced he's that serious about playing football. Highly talented, but conditional. OOC the end of 2025, so would want a big year next year - AND get himself into peak fitness over summer.

I'm still a huge Durds fan - you look back at his highlights reel from 2022 to see what he's capable of delivering - although hasn't been the same player over the past few years. I reckon injuries and confidence have had a lot to do with it, and at 22yo still has time to turn it around. I don't have a problem offering him a new contract when we did.

Personally, I'd like to see us add a couple more younger small forwards to the list in 2025. The ones I reckon we should consider would be:

• Jacob Konstanty - former 1st round pick still only 19yo, OOC the end of the year. You'd likely get him for a 2nd.
  • Will White - 19yo, Carlton VFL. Rookie selection. Has been very good all year - 3rd in our B&F and won the Best Young Player award. IMO, he offers more than Motlop as it currently stands.
Pretty much my exact thoughts too. Though I'd still be looking into Switkowski big time if Freo are bringing in Bolton and Baker etc and the rumours of him wanting to head home to VIC are true.

A very influential half forward that doesn't kick a tonne of goals but can genuinely go on ball when we want. An upgrade on Fog imo but I'd love to play on either flank to help with our transition game. They may not kick more than 20 goals each over a season but they create scores for others extremely well.

The thing that worries/ makes me nervous is how vossy and co see the list right now and where we are at.
IMO, we only need a few specific tweaks and we should be fine.
But, are the powers at Carlton knowing what the team requires and will they make some suitable changes accordingly?
Or are we going to sit on our hands and back in who we have on the list currently and hope we come good next year?

The coaches would play them out of position or in the VFL. Wouldnā€™t change a thing.

Huge change is required not just on field.

Calls for Cerra to be traded?

Admittedly he Didnā€™t have a great year, injury plagued.

But 2023 was 4th in the B&F and is only 24 /25. Was good at freo.

Heā€™s a keep for mine. Get over the hamstring injury thereā€™s no reason he canā€™t return to his pre-2024 form

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
"Get over his hamstring injury". Where have I heard that before?

If Iā€™m going with what would instantly make us a better side next year

Aleer from GWS
Rosas from GC
Lukosious from GC
Butters from Port

Aleer instantly shores up the backline and gives us a key defender for 10 years

Rosas is an improvement on Durdin and Motlop, puts pressure on them to get better

Lukosious is on a fair bit of coin but his field kicking and ability to score as a 3rd tall would help us immensely. Connection up forward would hopefully improve and he snags a few on his own as the third tall (replaces to always injured Martin and puts pressure on Silvagni and Kemp to perform)

Butters is impossible, it would never happen but his burst would change us. Sides would have to think about who they tag out of him, Cripps and Walsh. If only
You know what we could do....instead of always trying to trade in players we could actually draft them and develop them into those types of players. Crazy idea I know.

Nic Newman - Jacob Weitering - Adam Saad
Dan Houston - Harry Lemmey - Billy Wilson
Blake Acres - Patrick Cripps - Ollie Hollands
Lachie Fogarty - Charlie Curnow - Sam Switkowski
Joe Berry
- Harry Mckay - Ashton Moir
Tom Dekoning - Sam Walsh - George Hewett

Adam Cerra - Elijah Hollands - Sam Docherty - Lachie Cowan

Cooper Lord (Sub)

Would anyone be upset if this was our line up next year if it meant we had to lose Kennedy, Owies, Carroll and some others?

Houston and Switkowski in as some instant upgrades that help with our deficiencies and then back in the development of Wilson, Ollie, Elijah, Moir, Lord and Cowan to be the skilful, hard running players we lack.

Berry with our first pick instantly becomes our most talented small fwd, if Motlop and Durdin want to find their way back to the team they'll actually have to work on their craft and fitness instead of just rocking up.

Campo twins to develop in the VFL.

Joe Berry

Cooper Lord (Sub)

Would anyone be upset if this was our line up next year if it meant we had to lose Kennedy, Owies, Carroll and some others?

Houston and Switkowski in as some instant upgrades and then back in the development of Wilson, Ollie, Elijah, Moir, Lord and Cowan.

Berry with our first pick as instantly our most talented small fwd, if Motlop and Durdin want to find their way back to the team they'll actually have to work on their games instead of just rocking up.

Not sure Lemmey has spent enough time as a KPD in the VFL to be ready to be playing that role weekly in the AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure Lemmey has spent enough time as a KPD in the VFL to be ready to be playing that role weekly in the AFL
Probably not, Young or Haynes may just have to fill in and do the job in the meantime or try to find another mature option from trade or draft.

I just can't see us filling that void without spending all our currency on that position alone.

Probably not, Young or Haynes may just have to fill in and do the job in the meantime or try to find another mature option from trade or draft.

I just can't see us filling that void without spending all our currency on that position alone.
The other thing is Saad and Newman as BP - I feel like we should be trying to free up Saad a bit more as a true HB. I am still a fan of Boyd - his ball use and his one-on-one ability should be a way to free up Saad.

Joe Berry

Cooper Lord (Sub)

Houston and Switkowski in as some instant upgrades that help with our deficiencies and then back in the development of Wilson, Ollie, Elijah, Moir, Lord and Cowan to be the skilful, hard running players we lack.

Berry with our first pick instantly becomes our most talented small fwd, if Motlop and Durdin want to find their way back to the team they'll actually have to work on their craft and fitness instead of just rocking up.

Iā€™d hope to see. Young and fresh

Docherty Silvagni McGovern
Wilson Weitering Sinn
Acres Cripps Walsh
Moir Kemp Kostanty
Charlie McKay Berry
TDK Lord Elijah
Cerra Cowan Binns Cincotta Ollie Motlop

No reason why we canā€™t do both and relatively easily as well.

Tom McDonald is available as a free agent and is a good player who can play a few roles.

Haynes is past his best but an upgrade on Marchbank, heā€™s also free.

Then go to the draft and push for 2 first round picks.

Target a trade like Acres, Hollands, Ginnivan, Chol

That would be 3 senior players, 2 first round draftees and the Campo boys, thatā€™s a decent list refresh.

As Iā€™ve kept saying having 5 permanently injured players moved on and having 5 guys at least available most of the time makes us instantly better next year.

Persisting with Cuningham, Martin and S. Durdin and not looking for reinforcements was the big X I have for his tenure.

Cunners and Martin had a huge influence on our good form in the back half of last year, which lead to our most successful year since 2000.
Martin was on the last year of a heavily front-ended contract. It just didnā€™t make sense to trade him last year. And Cunners got a low- money 1 year deal. We would have been replacing him with a 4th round pick.
We also brought in Elijah and Moir as longer term replacements.

Sam Durdin, a mature age key defender who we would be trying to replace with a rookie pick. As we saw with the KPD market last yea, not so easy.

Now it has gone horribly for those 3, and Marchy, this year. But I donā€™t consider it a huge failure by Austin.
They all have to go this year though, obviously.

Cerra has had 5 hamstrings in 12 months.

Youā€™d struggle to get that.

Kennedy isnā€™t getting you a first, maybe a 3rd.

Williams would be for free or we could get anyone to take on his salary.

Some of these suggestions are clearly blue coloured views and then youā€™d also need to replace said players list spots with a bunch of delisted free agents or VFL players because youā€™d be bundling these picks to try and move up the draft or obtain a 2-3 players.
Based on the scowl on his face after he got subbed out last night I would be happy to move Kennedy on, even though I have been a fan, need to be team orientated to be part of the future.

Lots of criticism of Nick Austin but again, I rate him.

He has found us Boyd, Cincotta and Lord for nothing.

Got E Hollands for little. Acres for little.

If we arenā€™t doing a full rebuild, we are going to need Austinā€™s instincts to find us role players on the cheap.

Problem is that SOS built this list for an outdated style of football and non of his silk/fast players worked out - Martin, Fisher, SPS etc.

We need one more reliable key back, two good small forwards and pace.

Mini miracle needed

Cowan a good pick up too.

I too still put the list problems more down to SOS, what you do 5-8 year prior in draft/trading is the main reason why a list is in the state it is.

We stuffed up getting quality mids and any fast outside players or small forwards in his time and we had to go out and try and rectify it with trades and free agents, and Martin and Williams have not come off.

Acres and Saad have.

We are in for some serious hurt on TDKs contract.
He will want $1m+ & you canā€™t begrudge him that as he will easily be worth that and more on the open market.
It does not bode well for us when we have so much $ tied up in Weiters, Crippa, Charlie, H, Walsh & TDK.
Not saying they arenā€™t worth it just that itā€™s very top heavy.

Probably sign him until 2037 to make it less per season or something.

Having a cursory glance at our list and I would be happy to make 10+ changes without blinking. I know there's zero chance of it happening, but we either need to pivot this list toward the current way of playing or lobby the AFL to change the rules of the game to suit us. There are some players that I want to trade, but they are contracted/at their lowest value and I would like to see how they look under a new fitness regime. Here's where my head is at currently:

7. KennedyTRADE - We have too many slow inside mid types. Kennedy is the most valuable while also being the most expendable. Ben Campo replaces him in the depth chart.
16. CarrollTRADE - Send him to West Coast for some points. Lord has shown enough to suggest he can replace his spot.
21. MartinTRADE - Freo are interested, get some more points or delist. Moir has shown enough, Silvagni back from injury too.
22. MarchbankDELIST/RETIRE - Haynes replaces him.
27. PittonetTRADE - Surely someone needs a back up ruckman? He can be replaced by literally anyone on this year's ruck merry-go-round. Ladhams? Soldo? I really couldn't care less.
28. CuninghamDELIST - Apparently we're interested in Datolli in the draft.
32. M. CarrollDELIST - He's shown that his body can't stand up to training. Hasn't made one VFL appearance. I'd rather use a rookie spot to take a gamble on a quick small forward or we could move Fantasia to this rookie spot.
38. DurdinDELIST - The new McCartin could replace him.
41. AkueiDELIST - Hopefully we can pre-list Lucas Campo in this rookie spot.
44. OwiesTRADE - OOC and has value. Hopefully we can get a 2nd rounder for him. Take Berry with our first rounder to replace him.
45. MirkovDELIST - Sadly hasn't worked out for reasons outside of his control. Showed a bit toward the back end of the VFL season, but he's still coming from too far back IMO. Opens up a rookie spot for Duffy.

Need to take contracts into account. As we signed Durdin till 2026 he wonā€™t be going anywhere (cam Polson 2 year contract vibes)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back