List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

I would include Lord as one of the midfield main stayers starting next year.

Cripps and Lord make a good combination.

Lord loves getting his hands dirty with the ground balls in dispute....which frees up Cripps to more damage moving the ball away from the heat

Get another pacey power type mid with good kicking skills on the outside.

THIS

Nic Newman - Jacob Weitering - Adam Saad
Dan Houston - Harry Lemmey - Billy Wilson
Blake Acres - Patrick Cripps - Ollie Hollands
Lachie Fogarty - Charlie Curnow - Sam Switkowski
Joe Berry
- Harry Mckay - Ashton Moir
Tom Dekoning - Sam Walsh - George Hewett

Adam Cerra - Elijah Hollands - Sam Docherty - Lachie Cowan

Cooper Lord (Sub)

Would anyone be upset if this was our line up next year if it meant we had to lose Kennedy, Owies, Carroll and some others?

Houston and Switkowski in as some instant upgrades that help with our deficiencies and then back in the development of Wilson, Ollie, Elijah, Moir, Lord and Cowan to be the skilful, hard running players we lack.

Berry with our first pick instantly becomes our most talented small fwd, if Motlop and Durdin want to find their way back to the team they'll actually have to work on their craft and fitness instead of just rocking up.

Campo twins to develop in the VFL.
I like the additions youā€™ve mentioned but having another year older Cripps, Hewett and Walsh as our starting midfield when we stunk it up yesterday but not only yesterday but the past 2 or so months fills me with even less confidence. The engine room is a big part of our problem imo

Dangerfield is still going strong as a bull mid. I think Cripps needs to model his game more on Dangers than what he is doing.
Too often Cripps is positioned to receive the tap and he is not moving through the tap zone. This is allowing his defender to scrag him constantly because he is not moving at speed to the ball.

I love what Cripps is doing for our team and this is not a knock just believe that he could be less banged up trying this technique.

Lordā€¦ā€¦.Cooper Lord

I like the additions youā€™ve mentioned but having another year older Cripps, Hewett and Walsh as our starting midfield when we stunk it up yesterday but not only yesterday but the past 2 or so months fills me with even less confidence. The engine room is a big part of our problem imo
Switkowski can play genuine on ball minutes as a defensive pressure mid. Has for Freo a few times and imo is very underutilized in that role. Walsh at full fitness is a different beast to what we saw the back half of this year too, need to hope he can get a clean run through pre season.

I'd also like to see Cowan played through there, think his handballing in tight and tackling are almost his best assets at this level so I'd like to see it maximised more. Being a good kick in juniors is a whole different ball game to at AFL level, as is intercepting. I think he'd provide a line breaking power to our midfield mix like Trent Rivers at Melbourne.

Cripps
Walsh
Hewett
Cerra
Switkowski
Cowan

Still not perfect, but it provides a few different options rather than just a the same line up with different names while we have Kennedy, Cerra and Hewett all together. Think thats the best we can hope for before Cody Walker comes along, 4 core mids with rotations from some half backs and half forwards who provide a bit of a different look.

Iā€™d pay double to hear them give it back to him
Voss to player X: "Mate, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your time is up at the club".
X: "What do you mean?"
Voss: "Well you haven't gotten to work?"
X: "Huh, I've showed up every training session and rehab on time and put in 100%"
Voss: "Don't think you understand what I mean there."
X: "None of us understand half the things you go on about, we just nod our heads to be polite and show the humbleness that is our clubs mantra".
Voss: "Just don't think you've been consistent".
X: "Huh, one week I'm told to do this, the next that, get demoted the next and off to the VFL to play another role. Bit hard to show consistency."
Voss: "I meant to say you haven't found the best version of yourself, and I think you'll find it elsewhere".
X: "Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's nigh on impossible to ever be perfect and find the best version consistently. Our best version today might not be the required best version of how the game evolves tomorrow. Thus you're always going to need to find a better or different version of yourself."
Voss (pointing out the window): "A car thief".

X, turns their head... door slams... Voss is gone.

Sure there a players in the League with high footy IQ, and there are players with less.
But the sheer amount of moronic decisions we make on field has to be about not being well drilled enough.

I reckon we have a lot of low IQ players or players who try to do too much and in doing so break the ā€œteam rulesā€. Voss often talks about ā€œfailure to executeā€ post game when we lose so I reckon thatā€™s what heā€™s referencing.

It also doesnā€™t help when the some of the repeat offenders are players like Walsh and Charlie who arenā€™t exactly going to be dropped as punishment. Thereā€™s a lot of things that can be pinged on Voss but Iā€™m not sure that this is one of them.

The best thing about this loss is that it stamps the needs of our list firmly and squarely on the middle of the forhead of our coaches and list management.

I don't know how I have been aware of the problems of our midfield for 3 years now and nothing has changed. We have not recruited one quick mid who is good at applying pressure in that time apart from maybe Lord.

Out of Cerra, Kennedy and Hewett, 2 need to go. Unless we are getting nothing for them and can't land any decent midfielders that needs to happen. Slowest midfield in the league is not making finals next season.

We also need to float a few of the makeshift forwards. Fantasia, Durdin, Fogarty and Cottrell are not proper forwards and do not have the skills or the smarts to play as forwards. E Hollands is a midfielder who is not being played in the midfield and so is Kennedy.

There are a lot of teams who went past us this season and there will be a lot more who will go past us next season.

Problem is the coach rates his slow team and overrates too many of the players who are the problem.

Midfielders who don't lay good tackle numbers aren't good midfielders.
The one I would keep is Hewett.

Charges the ball forward from the contestā€¦thatā€™s what made our forward handball game
elite through the first half of the season

Seems so simple right?

Voss to player X: "Mate, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your time is up at the club".
X: "What do you mean?"
Voss: "Well you haven't gotten to work?"
X: "Huh, I've showed up every training session and rehab on time and put in 100%"
Voss: "Don't think you understand what I mean there."
X: "None of us understand half the things you go on about, we just nod our heads to be polite and show the humbleness that is our clubs mantra".
Voss: "Just don't think you've been consistent".
X: "Huh, one week I'm told to do this, the next that, get demoted the next and off to the VFL to play another role. Bit hard to show consistency."
Voss: "I meant to say you haven't found the best version of yourself, and I think you'll find it elsewhere".
X: "Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's nigh on impossible to ever be perfect and find the best version consistently. Our best version today might not be the required best version of how the game evolves tomorrow. Thus you're always going to need to find a better or different version of yourself."
Voss (pointing out the window): "A car thief".

X, turns their head... door slams... Voss is gone.
Think it would be more like...

Voss to player X: Mate, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your defensive running is insipid and you couldn't hit a target by foot if your life depended on it
X: I kicked 3 goals against so and so once though!
Voss: As they always say on The Apprentice, you're fired.

Rinse and repeat for the entire small forward group outside of Fogarty.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it would be more like...

Voss to player X: Mate, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your defensive running is insipid and you could hit a target by foot if your life depended on it
X: I kicked 3 goals against so and so once though!
Voss: As they always say on The Apprentice, you're fired.

Rinse and repeat for the entire small forward group outside of Fogarty.
Player X: "But pre-game you're telling me this, during game Hanson is telling me that, and at each break Jordan Russell is telling me the complete opposite.".
Voss: "Ah also indicates you have no footy IQ, you're still fired!"

I reckon we have a lot of low IQ players or players who try to do too much and in doing so break the ā€œteam rulesā€. Voss often talks about ā€œfailure to executeā€ post game when we lose so I reckon thatā€™s what heā€™s referencing.

It also doesnā€™t help when the some of the repeat offenders are players like Walsh and Charlie who arenā€™t exactly going to be dropped as punishment. Thereā€™s a lot of things that can be pinged on Voss but Iā€™m not sure that this is one of them.
Itā€™s not (just) Voss, itā€™s the entire coaching group failing to drill the players enough en masse. Although part of it certainly the lack of cohesion due to constant injury change to the side, part of it is not being drilled enough for players to know where to position themselves around stoppage and contest, where to move to, where and when to release the ball.

Our appalling ability around defensive stoppages cannot be blamed on stupid players. Itā€™s not that complicated of a game, we just havenā€™t been drilled enough.

Based on the scowl on his face after he got subbed out last night I would be happy to move Kennedy on, even though I have been a fan, need to be team orientated to be part of the future.
Bro, he had a child literally hours before the game and STILL rocked up to Brisbane to play, only to be subbed out half way through the second because of a match selection issue that everyone saw except the panel apparently. I'd be absolutely fuming too.

Could Boyd play through the middle? Has pace. Good kick. Bit of mongrel in him...
Iā€™d definitely try him there.
This is one of the things the club needs to get better at imo.
Try other more pace players through the midfield eg. Boyd/cowan/wilson/cinc
We need to be more proactive/ creative with what we have on the list

I have a different perspective to those who think we should just be layering in speed or whatever bit pieces we can shake out elsewhere. I don't think you should copy the latest trend - instead, I think you lock down your stars and build around them, and in so doing create the NEXT trend across the league.

Having Curnow and McKay lends itself to a different game plan to Collingwood and so be it. We need to lean into our stars, evaluate the list and build around that.

Then when you evaluate the list, it is clear where the problems are.

Tier 1 players: stars (regardless of position) - AA calibre, game-breakers, etc. Can play any position, you build around them:
- Cripps, Curnow, McKay, Weitering, Walsh, Saad (although getting old). TDK possibly emerging here

Tier 2 players: non-star players, but veteran, high profile players, who typically play structural positions (key positions, intercept defenders, midfielders, running half backs, etc) around the stars. You want consistency here:
- McGovern, Martin, Docherty, Cerra, Williams, Hewett, Newman, Marchbank, Acres and arguably Silvagni. I would include Kennedy (but Voss uses him differently)

Tier 3 players: Role players. Can be best 22, or backups that you expect to be able to 'do a job'. Typically - can be general defenders, hff or wings, third talls/second key defenders, taggers, forward pockets, etc.
- Cottrell, Cowan, Motlop, Owies, Fogarty, Carroll, Kemp, C Durdin, both Hollands brothers, Young, Carroll, Cincotta, probably Pittonet (I think started the year Tier 2, but is firmly a backup to TDK now), Cuningham, Boyd, S Durdin,

Tier 4 players: typically developing/project players. If you are lucky they might get a game or two, but typically you are looking to the future with them
- Lets go with Lemmey, Lord, Moir, Mirkov, Binns, Wilson and the rookie listed guys

When you evaluate that, the things that jump out are:
1. I think we have ENOUGH Tier 1 players, but unusually, they are all 'spine' players. No wings, small forward, running defenders, etc. It's a bit one dimensional... fine when the game is on our terms
2. We have decent depth in Tier 3 players; they're fine, as long as they are only needed to play a role.

3. Tier 2 is an unmitigated disaster. Firstly, it's comprised almost entirely of players brought in from other clubs. We simply haven't been able to develop our own Tier 2 guys in eons (seriously - who was the last good B-grader the club developed from scratch? Kade Simpson?)
4. Tier 2 has been gutted by injury this year: Docherty/Marchbank/Silvagni/Martin as non-starters, McGovern/Cerra/Williams heavily affected, and even Acres running on fumes by the end.

All of our biggest issues stem from our disastrous Tier 2 IMO. Poor inside 50s? Slow? Low impact from non-star players? That's what happens when you get zero from most of your Tier 2 guys. Did Durdin/Motlop/Fantasia/Kemp look awful up forward yesterday? Yep, but they shouldn't even be playing at once, but with Curnow/Martin/Silvagni and Williams all giving nothing, well there they were.

Our successful runs across the past two years have coincided with Tier 2 being fit, healthy and consistent. Our worst runs have coincided (typically) with Tier 2 injuries. That's not surprising. those are the core of the team, and the type of player Geelong finds hidden all the time.

I don't totally know the solution, but our aim in list management HAS to be something like:

Goal 1: Build reliability and consistency in our Tier 2:

- delist/trade out the unreliable Tier 2 of the team. The most important 'ability' for a footballer is 'availability' and our Tier 2 has been awful. And with Docherty/Silvagni coming off ACL injuries, that's probably the limit on what we can carry in Tier 2 that is risky. That's Cerra/Martin/Marchbank/Williams/Cuningham all gone.

- Invest in young guys to fill/replace these spots, even if it means a step back next year (I don't think it does - younger, lesser guys in Tier 2 spots, but more consistency will get us to at least mid-table again). Layer Silvagni, Kennedy,

- DRAFT and develop the next tier 2 guys, and make this the biggest emphasis of everything we do. Ben Camporeale is a potential Tier 2 midfielder. Ok, but what young running half-backs do we have? What young KPD (not a limited stopper like Young, but who is the next McGovern who can intercept and set up play?)? Lemmey isn't cutting it as even a positional KPF? I think we desperately need to try and get TWO picks in before Ben Camporeale (one of the mids, and I think there is a single KPF this year who should be there at 10). Cerra + our Future First to Melbourne for pick 6? Then use our own pick 10? And add THREE potential Tier 2 guys

Goal 2: Consider remodelling our Tier 1 structure to get someone on the 'outside' so we are a little less one-dimensional. Some theoretical options include:
  • Trade one of our Tier 1 guys for another Tier 1 who plays on the outside (ie: McKay for ????). Ok in theory, but these trades rarely happen anymore
  • Repurpose Walsh to half back and into the Nick Daicos 'defender who runs wherever he wants and just racks up 35 touches)? Or Walsh to the Wing?
  • Repurpose Cripps to half-forward into the Dustin Martin slot of "if I get a defender on me I go to the stoppage as an extra midfielder. If I get a mid tagging me I go to full forward. If I get a hybrid I take them to the wing and be a marking target, and then when the game is on the line I call my own number in the midfield and take over"
  • Try some other ways of igniting our Tier 1 guys; Saad on-ball or on the wing in a more attacking role? Curnow to a utility role (on-ball, wing, CHF) and Harry as the deep forward?

Hmmm... a lot to play out, but that's where my head is at today after the awfulness of last night...

If fit our midfield is very good

Cripps is a star
Walsh is a star
Cerra is a star
Hewett is a very good workhorse

Elijah with a full pre season could be anything
Lord looks very good. Creative tough and classy

That is a heck of a midfield that can compete with anyone

Add Wilson who has leg speed and balance
Kemp who is big and could be anything
Charlie with midfield minutes ala Stringer but better
Cincotta has the toughness and skill to be a good mid

Can we add a Garcia, a Wicks to the mix or a top draft pick?

The question is can we get them all fit and will Voss trust anyone apart from his go to players

Itā€™s not (just) Voss, itā€™s the entire coaching group failing to drill the players enough en masse. Although part of it certainly the lack of cohesion due to constant injury change to the side, part of it is not being drilled enough for players to know where to position themselves around stoppage and contest, where to move to, where and when to release the ball.

Our appalling ability around defensive stoppages cannot be blamed on stupid players. Itā€™s not that complicated of a game, we just havenā€™t been drilled enough.

Ok the stoppage stuff is different. That is 100% coaching. I was talking more so about things like the following
  • Walsh not lowering his eyes or running past for a handball under pressure
  • Saad running himself into trouble to get onto his left side
  • Charlie ignoring teammates and blasting away at goal,
  • Young and Williams not bodying up on defenders in marking contests in our D50
  • Ollie trying to keep the ball in play and couching it up to the opposition instead of just allowing it to go out of bounds and reset
  • Harry giving away silly frees in our forward line allowing the opposition to relieve the pressure
  • Elijah ball watching at kick ins only for the ball to find his opponent whoā€™s got free out the back
  • Corey Durdin flying for pack marks in our F50
  • Motlop often being behind the pack in our F50 instead of front and square running towards goals
We have a lot of dumb players on our list.

I still strongly believe this is a Top 4 side with a good run with injury and a modern game plan

B: Docherty Silvagni McGovern
HB: Ollie Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Binns
HF: Elijah Kemp Williams
F: McKay Charlie Moir
Foll: TDK Cerra Walsh
Int: Cowan Newman Wilson Hewett Kennedy Lord B. Campo Cincotta Fogarty plus some gun draftees and smart trades

McKay to play 2nd Ruck
Need X factor small fwd
Elijah needs to step up as mid

Need to start to move on from Saad Newman Hewett during year and introduce Lord Binns Moir Wilson as regulars

Names like Berry Sinn Garcia Wicks would help
I agree , we are a top 4 side ā€¦ McGovern kicks that goal against Collingwood and kemp kicks that goal against st kilda we end 3rd , thatā€™s how close we were and I reckon our season was average

Ok the stoppage stuff is different. That is 100% coaching. I was talking more so about things like the following
  • Walsh not lowering his eyes or running past for a handball under pressure
  • Saad running himself into trouble to get onto his left side
  • Charlie ignoring teammates and blasting away at goal,
  • Young and Williams not bodying up on defenders in marking contests in our D50
  • Ollie trying to keep the ball in play and couching it up to the opposition instead of just allowing it to go out of bounds and reset
  • Harry giving away silly frees in our forward line allowing the opposition to relieve the pressure
  • Elijah ball watching at kick ins only for the ball to find his opponent whoā€™s got free out the back
  • Corey Durdin flying for pack marks in our F50
  • Motlop often being behind the pack in our F50 instead of front and square running towards goals
We have a lot of dumb players on our list.

We make a lot of dumb mistakes. I was screaming at the tv in frustration. Like why the **** would you handball to a player 1 meter away when youā€™re not about to be tackled?

But, a lot of these mistakes come from a lack of cohesion and confidence in the team (your Walsh, Saad, Charlie examples), and a lot come from lack of being drilled properly (your Young, Williams, Elijah, Durdin, Motlop examples).

Iā€™d suggest that Geelong play smart footy not due to their recruiters having some brilliant secret IQ test, so much as their players being brilliantly coached and developed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back