List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

The Owies situation flys in the face of the clubs salary cap supposedly having space.

Iā€™ve always maintained that regardless of whatā€™s said, the actions of the club speak louder than words.

So if we re-sign Fog and Durdin but push our best small forward out the door because we need to pay more, that to me raises concerns.

Owies is more durable than all our other smalls, kicks more goals and puts in every week, we have stuffed this imo.

We could have pushed Fog or Durdin out and done offered Owies a respectable deal, he loves the Blues and contributed more than all the others, despite his limitations.
What if those guys agreed to sign for much less than the league avaerage? Does it make sense then? What if we'd need to pay more to fill those spots?

I'm not saying that's the case, just that we don't have enough information to do anything but broadly speculate.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Problem is that the mid tier don't get opportunity too often.

How to often has Carroll played as a genuine midfielder? How about Binns on the wing?

They've got to have a chance before to get can improve.

We've been seduced by names this season in particular.

I was talking about those regularly picked, like our trio of smalls, Cotters, Boyd etc.

I'm more worried about the drop off of some of our "elite".

Simple 3m handpasses shouldn't be going to grass.

I think we need to do the basics well, more often.

This is a very good point. The question is why?

Players don't lose their ability. Are they sore, injured, frustrated, confused or have opposition sides found us out?

One reason I am concerned about how we fell away this year is the our 2 best players (Cripps & Weitering) couldn't have done much more. I thought Cripps had his best year

He was picked - Freo took him in the mid season draft two years ago. They just delisted him.

Not sure what happened re: coaching while he was there, but never really fulfilled his potential.
Goddamn can that dude jump and kick!
50m off balance and off 1 step, clears the line and nearly hits the fence!
40m on the run, outside of the boot, close to the boundary, no problem!
So long as he passes the NO FIGJAM test, bring him in.
Has genuine footballer written all over him

What if those guys agreed to sign for much less than the league avaerage? Does it make sense then? What if we'd need to pay more to fill those spots?

I'm not saying that's the case, just that we don't have enough information to do anything but broadly speculate.

The fact we signed Corey Durdin to a multi year deal this year, yet we are considering letting Owies (our best small forward) explore opportunities, sums up how this football club is run.

Outstanding delistings today.

Trade Owies for pick 30 or so and trade that pick and our 2nd to move up in the draft.

3 or so picks inside the top 30 at the draft and some cheaper trades will be a very good outcome.
That's my view as well. Load up with draft picks in a reportedly strong draft.

All gun AFL players come from the draft. The best teams nail their draft picks. Draft picks are not underrated - they are the best way of developing a sustainable team. You've just got to hit the right targets and develop them.

Players don't lose their ability. Are they sore, injured, frustrated, confused or have opposition sides found us out?

One reason I am concerned about how we fell away this year is the our 2 best players (Cripps & Weitering) couldn't have done much more. I thought Cripps had his best year
Lack of training leads to a drop off in skills eventually. Id imagine the consistent injuries players had to deal with would have been the main reason for it.

Form is generally a bit contagious too so once a few started dropping away it's quite common for others to fall away just a couple of percent too.

Quite confident next year most will be back to their best if we get our list fit and healthy over pre season.

I assume those guys signed for low $$$ Iā€™m not suggesting they are taking much cap, but no idea what theyā€™d actually be on.

On the information available, I would have preferred to get rid of Durdin and offered Owies a contract.

The fact we signed Corey Durdin to a multi year deal this year, yet we are considering letting Owies (our best small forward) explore opportunities, sums up how this football club is run.

Agree. Give them a one year deal until they are established. Corey is 23 at start of next season. Heā€™s not a kid anymore

At some stage you need to go past talent and potential and judge on results

How much heā€™s getting paid matters more than the two years he got. If heā€™s on 150-200k a year, for a borderline best 22 player, is pretty solid. If he ends up being the 35th player on the list, then itā€™s not much of an issue imo

Lack of training leads to a drop off in skills eventually. Id imagine the consistent injuries players had to deal with would have been the main reason for it.

Form is generally a bit contagious too so once a few started dropping away it's quite common for others to fall away just a couple of percent too.

Quite confident next year most will be back to their best if we get our list fit and healthy over pre season.

Fair points.

My concern is we will use injuries as pure reason for drop off and wonā€™t address other issues

There is no way that injuries alone were the reason for our last 10 weeks

Agree. Give them a one year deal until they are established. Corey is 23 at start of next season. Heā€™s not a kid anymore

At some stage you need to go past talent and potential and judge on results
How do we know he wasnā€™t getting multi year deals offered elsewhere, and we had to give him 2 years to keep him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair points.

My concern is we will use injuries as pure reason for drop off and wonā€™t address other issues

There is no way that injuries alone were the reason for our last 10 weeks
Which is part of the reason I'm glad we got embarrassed up in Brisbane and a few games before that. Highlighted just how dire our deficiencies are when compared to some of the other teams around the league.

We still have boat loads of talent on the list but a poor end to the year may be the catalyst for change we needed to make the tough calls we should have at the end of 23.

A good trade and draft period could take us from pretenders to contenders very quickly.

How much heā€™s getting paid matters more than the two years he got. If heā€™s on 150-200k a year, for a borderline best 22 player, is pretty solid. If he ends up being the 35th player on the list, then itā€™s not much of an issue imo

Disagree. It holds spots and costs money. It adds up.

We saw this year how vital list spots are. SC can get right easily and to say $300k or more is nothing is madness especially when we are talking about 3-4 players on a list of 38

Draftees are on $150-$200k these days. Not mature players

Which is part of the reason I'm glad we got embarrassed up in Brisbane and a few games before that. Highlighted just how dire our deficiencies are when compared to some of the other teams around the league.

We still have boat loads of talent on the list but a poor end to the year may be the catalyst for change we needed to make the tough calls we should have at the end of 23.

A good trade and draft period could take us from pretenders to contenders very quickly.

I agree. I like our list and think we will improve it

Issue for me is fitness and a game style that allows us to play to our potential

I agree. I like our list and think we will improve it

Issue for me is fitness and a game style that allows us to play to our potential
Yep. I think if we add 3-4 good players in the trade and draft period and then get some natural progression out of some of Wilson, Moir, Elijah, Ollie, Boyd, Motlop and Durdin then we'll be right in the mix.

There's a lot of premiership quality talent on our list, there's also some that just aren't quite up to it ATM.

Yep. I think if we add 3-4 good players in the trade and draft period and then get some natural progression out of some of Wilson, Moir, Elijah, Ollie, Boyd, Motlop and Durdin then we'll be right in the mix.

There's a lot of premiership quality talent on our list, there's also some that just aren't quite up to it ATM.

100% agree šŸ‘

Not just Cripps and Weitering either, Kennedy, Charlie, Harry all had very good years. TDK and Pitt probably both had their best seasons, stats wise Newmans output went up in last year as well, then Owies had his best season.

Thatā€™s a lot of good players having good seasons but still dropping off.

I still think our drop off has come from poor coaching in regards to set ups around stoppages and ball retention and not so much injuries which has been a convenient excuse for our club and coaches.

I think a lot of that depends on his shoulder surgeon. He's a high pressure player, with 2 bung shoulders he's going to struggle doing what he's built his game on.

I think we sweat the small stuff way too much.

But, always prefer your stoic stanch rather than the burger flippers

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back