List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we sweat the small stuff way too much.

But, always prefer your stoic stanch rather than the burger flippers
I'll go to my grave saying our small forwards since Betts have all stunk, and I'm sticking to it! šŸ˜…

Just hope that can be addressed in the off season so we're primed for 2025.

I'll go to my grave saying our small forwards since Betts have all stunk, and I'm sticking to it! šŸ˜…

Question.

Has the Durdin or Cottrell extensions possibly cost us Owies? We need spots and to keep improving our SC

Out of these three who would you prefer?

Personally, in regards to ALL our small forwards we are living in hope rather than results. That can be okay with 1 or 2 but when itā€™s 4 or 5 itā€™s a concern and a real issue for our list

Question.

Has the Durdin or Cottrell extensions possibly cost us Owies? We need spots and to keep improving our SC

Personally, in regards to ALL our small forwards we are living in hope rather than results. That can be okay with 1 or 2 but when itā€™s 4 or 5 itā€™s a concern and a real issue for our list
Don't think so. I think Owies has the most value out of the 3 of them but has the least scope for improvement too.

Imo it's a good move to move him on at peak value if it helps us acquire some other players that fit our list better.

The need for outside run and better users going inside 50 is something Owies unfortunately will never be able to provide us imo.

Question.

Durdin and Owies if itā€™s out of those three ā€¦ but both have major deficiencies ā€¦ if it was up to me Iā€™d be training Corey to be a full time mid ā€¦ Iā€™ve watched him play up forward many times doesnā€™t have the instinct for it ā€¦ but he does have the tools to be damaging in the middle imo.

Lack of training leads to a drop off in skills eventually. Id imagine the consistent injuries players had to deal with would have been the main reason for it.

Form is generally a bit contagious too so once a few started dropping away it's quite common for others to fall away just a couple of percent too.

Quite confident next year most will be back to their best if we get our list fit and healthy over pre season.
Ben Dickson highlighted that the AFL tweaked the rules around stoppages after round 10. They reduced the delay in restarting the game by about half. The timing roughly matches our decline and the surge of teams like Hawthorn, Brisbane and Bulldogs. They are all much quicker teams than Carlton, and were able to exploit the new gamestyle. Our lack of pace and our shocking run with injuries is what cruelled us. Maybe the coaching team was also slow to cotton on to what was such a major change in the game.

Durdin and Owies if itā€™s out of those three ā€¦ but both have major deficiencies ā€¦ if it was up to me Iā€™d be training Corey to be a full time mid ā€¦ Iā€™ve watched him play up forward many times doesnā€™t have the instinct for it ā€¦ but he does have the tools to be damaging in the middle imo.

Donā€™t disagree. If we look at our small forwards

Owies - worker with limitations that can contribute but lacks genuine X factor
Motlop - most ability but needs to produce
Durdin - quick and good hands. Looks a mid trying to be a fwd
Williams - big money recruit that struggles to stay on the park
Fogarty - another mid trying to be a fwd. tough and great defensively. Not a big consistent goal kicker
Cottrell - role player with good skills but doesnā€™t do enough
Fantasia - injury prone and hasnā€™t produced his earlier form for years

Some potential but not a group I would want to be relying on and they (apart from Owies) are all contracted, on decent money and some for 2-3 years yet

That is anywhere between $3-4m tied up plus 7 list spots. Thatā€™s a lot, especially considering output. We could have 9-10 small forwards on our list because we couldnā€™t cut any

They donā€™t exactly scare an opposition. Talk is we are looking at Konstanty Rosas and a few others. That says to me we donā€™t trust or believe in what we have

How many do we need or can you carry?

IMO this is a real weakness in our list

Last edited:
Question.

Owies was always going to be under the pump imo. Yes he kicks goals but doesnā€™t play as a small forward like people say he is. He does next to nothing if he doesnā€™t kick goals. Of course goals are important but Iā€™d say the club see the way he plays and he plays as a medium lead up type. I canā€™t remember many of his goals being opportunistic like most small forwards. He leads and marks which I think will become Moir's role in 2025.

I also think Durdin will be really good in 2025. And he can go through the midfield.

I think letting Owies go was always part of the plan with Motlop also being on the list. Best thing is, Owies had a good year and will get us something we need trade wise

All our small forwards are on cheapish contracts, which won't effect our ability to improve our list

Owies was always going to be under the pump imo. Yes he kicks goals but doesnā€™t play as a small forward like people say he is. He does next to nothing if he doesnā€™t kick goals. Of course goals are important but Iā€™d say the club see the way he plays and he plays as a medium lead up type. I canā€™t remember many of his goals being opportunistic like most small forwards. He leads and marks which I think will become Moir's role in 2025.

I also think Durdin will be really good in 2025. And he can go through the midfield.

I think letting Owies go was always part of the plan with Motlop also being on the list. Best thing is, Owies had a good year and will get us something we need trade wise

Think Moir is the Martin replacement, despite some bizarrely suggesting he might get cut while still contracted šŸ¤”

But, anyone we draft or trade in, needs to have better speed and agility, in fact all over the park

Think Moir is the Martin replacement, despite some bizarrely suggesting he might get cut while still contracted šŸ¤”

But, anyone we draft or trade in, needs to have better speed and agility, in fact all over the park
Also forgot to add Kemp as he should be a lead up forward with his attack on the ball

Bingo, he would offer us something very different to what we have already.

He should be playing in the midfield in the twos almost permanently, start with something like 50% mid, 25% on the pine and 25% forward and build up his time in the middle to peak fitness.

Feels like we are constantly flogging a dead horse up forward, expecting things to change

Unless the best key back in the draft falls to us at 11 Iā€™m on WalshGoats bandwagon with Berry, Hannaford et al and then one of Rosas or Wicks which will mean we can 100% develop little Durds in the midfield

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a very good point. The question is why?

Players don't lose their ability. Are they sore, injured, frustrated, confused or have opposition sides found us out?

One reason I am concerned about how we fell away this year is the our 2 best players (Cripps & Weitering) couldn't have done much more. I thought Cripps had his best year

Yeah that's my biggest concern too... particularly the underlined...

Chances are there'll be a bit of a drop off next year from Cripps... that leaves our midfield in dire straits unless they make the changes this off season...

Am I missing I something with Owies? Kicked 33 goals this year and didn't miss a game except for when he was suspended. He's durable and scores goals, and I highly doubt we'd get anything of value if we did trade him.

The only thing I can think is that the club and Owies are far apart with money or length of contract.

Yeah, would be a pretty good result. If we can't use our top picks to bring in ready made mids that will alleviate our engine room issues then we take them to the draft imo.
A result of Hotton, Berry/Lindsay, both Campos then trades of Konstanty, Stone, Garcia and FA Haynes may not 100% perfect but it sure makes us a better club in 2025 with a strong focus on sustained success for the future

Iā€™d earmark kemp as(eventually) the Cripps replacement imo

Definitely keep him as a 3rd forward for now, with the idea of some midfield rotation at times swapping with Cripps

Donā€™t tease me šŸ˜Ž

Issue is forward lines are getting smaller and more mobile. Are we going to lock Kemp in as a forward with Charlie McKay Silvagni fit and hopefully Moir Oā€™Keefe stepping up

I really rate Kemp and having him developed/play in the reserves behind some of the above would be a disaster for him and I certainly donā€™t what to see him in defence

He is now at age to step up. We need to do right thing by him

Betts was meant to have trained these young ones in the years he came back. Pity he wasn't honest enough to say there no good get some new ones

Am I missing I something with Owies? Kicked 33 goals this year and didn't miss a game except for when he was suspended. He's durable and scores goals, and I highly doubt we'd get anything of value if we did trade him.

The only thing I can think is that the club and Owies are far apart with money or length of contract.

We need spots and picks. Unless we pay out players early we have few options.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back