List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

When we lost to Adelaide early in the year Owies ran into the open goal and stuffed up and kicked dirt instead of ball just outside goal square right in front.
A few the senior players were not happy with him and voiced there opinion with him after match. "Bloody Owies"; etc I heard them.
Things have festered since then.

Off topic but watch the last 2 minutes of that Adelaide game (if you can stomach it).
Calamities everywhere.

The Owies debacle was directly after a dropped sitter for McKay.

Our stoppage setup which resulted in the Berry goal.

We then get an inside 50 where Charlie drops a pretty regulation uncontested mark for him.

Finally, last play of the game Walsh kicks a long ball to Corey Durdin with three of Adelaideā€™s tallest defenders standing next to him.

Absolute amateur hour.

Off topic but watch the last 2 minutes of that Adelaide game (if you can stomach it).
Calamities everywhere.

The Owies debacle was directly after a dropped sitter for McKay.

Our stoppage setup which resulted in the Berry goal.

We then get an inside 50 where Charlie drops a pretty regulation uncontested mark for him.

Finally, last play of the game Walsh kicks a long ball to Corey Durdin with three of Adelaideā€™s tallest defenders standing next to him.

Absolute amateur hour.

Not to mention the disastrous effort from Kemp and Williams in the d50 a bit earlier which got the Crows going...

Konstanty for F3?
Rosas as DFA?
Berry with Pick 11?

F1 plus Owies for Houston
If we could add a KPD to that list and White and McMahon via rookie draft would be some off seasonā€¦

Senior List
Houston < Martin
Rosas < Marchbank
Konstanty < Cuningham
KPD < Need to make a list spot
Berry < Need to make a list spot
Second Rounder < Need to make a list spot
Camporeale < Need to make a list spot
Camporeale < Need to make a list spot
Boyd < Need to make a list spot

Rookie List
McMahon < Mirkov
White < Need to make a list spot
Boyd < Lord

Agree Arr0w. A KPD is as important an aquisition as the few small and half forwards we need. The problem is finding one that is good enough to pair with Weiters and is high enough quality for the best 23. Marchbank and probably Durdin as well in the near future getting the boot, means we need to find someone to come through the door this off season. I guess itā€™s why we were so upbeat about the Aleer link a month or so ago now

Agree Arr0w. A KPD is as important an aquisition as the few small and half forwards we need. The problem is finding one that is good enough to pair with Weiters and is high enough quality for the best 23. Marchbank and probably Durdin as well in the near future getting the boot, means we need to find someone to come through the door this off season. I guess itā€™s why we were so upbeat about the Aleer link a month or so ago now

Perhaps we could target a mature age UFA, like a MacDonald and still take one at the draft

It will be interesting to see how Austin massages the situation

Perhaps we could target a mature age UFA, like a MacDonald and still take one at the draft

It will be interesting to see how Austin massages the situation

I think that would be the way to go.
I would love to maybe pick someone up to play FB, take the bigger forward and allow Weitering to move up the ground to CHB maybe, try and get him involved in more intercept marks. Can then be interchangeable with Gov or Kemp when down back. Despite his impressive year, it frees him up a little more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to maybe pick someone up to play FB, take the bigger forward and allow Weitering to move up the ground to CHB maybe, try and get him involved in more intercept marks. Can then be interchangeable with Gov or Kemp when down back. Despite his impressive year, it frees him up a little more

I agree, I do prefer Weitering on the 2nd tall. Young did reasonably well last couple of games, but no confidence he can remain consistent

Very good reasoned post. Nice to see and read šŸ‘
Cheers.

Just to elaborate more on this for everyone so they understand these list management tactics.

Bottom teams like where we were, like where North have been and still are, like where Richmond are and are going.

Those clubs need to find players and they can grossly over pay. They need to meet there minimum player payments by overpaying mature quality players. NOT by increasing the salaries of their current young players on the list.

When your list is weak, overpaying for incoming players is actually good list management.

If you pay your young players 10% extra to meet your minimum total player payments. You will find you are paying them 10% extra in the future and for the rest of their careers. This is how player contracts get out of control. Player contracts rarely go down, they usually only go up. So you need to keep them as low as possible, with the knowledge they will be gradually going up, which keeps the player happy and the salary cap in control.

As a bottom club with a young list, you are better throwing big money around at trade period and overpaying to bring some good players in. It helps manage and keep in check the contracts of your long term prospects. It also is the only way to get good mature players into your club.

A club like our has a really poor reputation, we aren't a club that regularly plays in grand finals or premierships, there needs to be good reason to come here so if we want good players, particularly when we are on the bottom, we need to pay more. Front load the contracts, use them to meet the MPP.

We may have overpaid for guys like McGovern, Martin, Williams etc. deliberately and tactically for the betterment of the club's future salary cap. Because we did this, we have them and we were able to keep control over the contracts of our then young stars such as Cripps, Weitering, Curnow and McKay etc.

I don't think any of the players we overpaid for in the past would be on a great deal now. They would have been heavily front-loaded and that would have been used to manage other players contracts while meeting our MPP.

People get upset unnecessarily over something they don't understand. I am hoping people understand this now and get it.

Because we have managed our player salaries well, we find ourselves with a solid list that has made finals two years in a row, that has an extremely talented top end and we still have plenty of cap space to chase top line players.

What we do lack is trade/draft capital. Salary cap doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

This really worked out well in the back end of this season. Young was good. Not sure we can go through a season and be happy with Young, but I am saying don't write him off. Young was better than Weitering in the final we got hammered in.

This really worked out well in the back end of this season. Young was good. Not sure we can go through a season and be happy with Young, but I am saying don't write him off. Young was better than Weitering in the final we got hammered in.

I find Young a real tease of a player. He will throw in a game where you think he can be more than handy. Then he plays games where he doesnā€™t even look interested. Frustrating

I find Pittonet a bit the same

Is it? I listened to Paul Marsh the other day and he said avg now way over $400k base and bottom players on close to $300k. Draftees are different and staggered

Also, said that this number will really grow over next year or two
Think avg will be close to $550K within next year/s c/- Sam Edmund when discussing figures of Mac Andrew. Need to get used it, as every club will be able to afford this under the bulging S/C.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back