List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

True, and it would be a shame if we did trade him, but also, that kind of thing canā€™t come into your decision making.

I doubt it happens anyway, just that if we do trade a contracted player, Chugga is one that would make sense.
We need to get productive, we have a very heavily talented spread but one paced inside midfield, if we arenā€™t prepared to make some changes to our midfieldersā€¦
along with our other forward and flank deficiencies as well, including our lack of developing KPDā€™s then we are not only not strengthening our needs immediately, but the last five or so years we have poorly identified with our obvious posistional types of need long termā€¦

This is the only thing I can think of that makes any kind of sense of the Kennedy news.

Back when Voss started he supposedly told Kennedy that the side had room for 2 inside mids, and one of them was Cripps. Kennedy made the second spot his own, until injuries elsewhere sent him all over the park this year.

IMO he's still the 2nd best inside mid in the team. Walsh is more outside, Hewett would be equal at best but probably not quite, Cerra is more outside, Lord nowhere near proven.

But if someone like Petracca is in play, then yeah, Kennedy would have to make room.

If Trac is still gettable, more than Kennedy will be making room...

If you follow Sydney and Geelong, you rebuild on the run, you walk and chew gum. If you rebuild on the run you don't trade a first for Houston.
Of course you do (plus or minus steak knives), unless you need that pick for Petracca....

History shows us what you get at 11 is a total lottery as to whether they become a player.

Houston is at the peak of his powers - he gets us into top 4 and a flag tilt....

We have too many mids that can't hit an i50 target... Kennedy is unfortunately the worst of them in that regard.

Yes, he's a great team player, plays wherever, but really what's his alternative? "Nah, Vossy, I don't wanna play forward this week" come on...

He was visibly pissed off at being subbed out, which I totally get given there were at least 5 other blokes that should've been given the vest ahead of him... the outcome of the game didn't hinge on that decision though...

His versatility is likely to be his most attractive trait for other clubs. If we aren't satisfied with what they're offering for him, he will remain a Carlton player as he is still contracted.

Think about this though, come opening round 2025 our forwards will likely be a mix of:

Harry, Charlie, Williams, JSOS, Kemp, Moir, Fogarty, Motlop (assuming Owies is gone too)

Our backs:

Weiters, Newman, Saad, Gov, Haynes, Cowan, new KPD (of course assuming we have a new KPD lined up in light of encouraging Young to look elsewhere)

So that means he can only play mid... that means:

Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra, Kennedy as the mainstays

That mix is not working. The club have rightly identified this.
Garbage.

Would grab Balta in a heartbeat but couldnā€™t see RFC releasing a mature KPP with their exodus.
Think he is a sneaky chance to leave in 2025 as he will be an RFA. A band 1 compo pick sure would look tasty for Richmond (likely Pick 2).

Agree though, no chance to leave this year. Richmond will be very busy brokering other deals.

Kennedy situation seems like the club coming to a logical decision but in a real hare-brained process sort of way.

Fine to move Kennedy on if his set of skills doesn't suit the side or to extract some value, strange to play him 24 games and not try someone new, younger into that spot.
JSOS. MK was subpoenaed to fill his role following the ACL.

Wonder if theres a way we can have our team looking something like this next year with all the reported departures?

FB: Mitch Mcgovern - A 2nd KPD - Adam Saad
HB: Dan Houston - Jacob Weitering - Nic Newman
C: Blake Acres - Patrick Cripps - Sam Docherty
HF: Lachie Fogarty - Charlie Curnow - Sam Switkowski
FF: Joe Berry - Harry Mckay - Ashton Moir
R: Tom Dekoning - Sam Walsh - Adam Cerra

I/C: Lachie Cowan - Elijah Hollands - George Hewett - Jordan Boyd

Sub: Zac Williams

I'd be pretty happy about our prospects but would still feel its a missed opportunity to skip over such a good draft this year. Still no clue who we could get to fill the 2nd KPD role given there hasn't really been a name linked to us outside of Haynes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if theres a way we can have our team looking something like this next year with all the reported departures?

I'd be pretty happy about our prospects but would still feel its a missed opportunity to skip over such a good draft this year. Still no clue who we could get to fill the 2nd KPD role given there hasn't really been a name linked to us outside of Haynes.
Ollie Murphy 200cm KPD
Victorian Metro/All Australian
19yrs 1st year at Fremantle
Behind a large senior group of KPD

I'd be pretty happy about our prospects but would still feel itā€™s a missed opportunity to skip over such a good draft this year. Still no clue who we could get to fill the 2nd KPD role given there hasn't really been a name linked to us outside of Haynes.
How do we look to improve our midfield, draft wise imo the small group of certain midfield types are early picks, then we have a spread of different options that play other positions that look too possess the right attributes are suited for the midfield positionā€¦

Yeah Kemp gets the third tall forward spot for me. I think JSOS is going to find it hard to get in the best 22 outside of injuries. I also donā€™t think he can play in defence. One of the more intriguing players heading into 2025 for me.

Why canā€™t he play in defence? Heā€™s literally the prototype forward that doesnā€™t do enough being turned into a defender that happens quite regularly.
His desperation and competitiveness is his one wood and there arenā€™t too many other clubs in the bag, exactly what you need as a backman.
He should be a monster having 12 months working on the upper body strength department

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Other picks will shuffle, but the core could look like this

Tigers get pick 17 from the Dockers as part of a deal for Bolton

We trade our future 1st for pick 17

Port get pick 17

We get Houston
The version I have heard has another team involved and ultimately costing F1 (with an F2 back) AND costing us #11 and getting that 17 you discuss back, giving us a presence in the first round. With the depth of the first round and where players are likely to fall, this would be acceptable to my eyes.

I donā€™t like overpaying for a 28 yo, but taking a line through what we paid for Saad, it would not be overpaying for an All Australian.

Kennedy situation seems like the club coming to a logical decision but in a real hare-brained process sort of way.

Fine to move Kennedy on if his set of skills doesn't suit the side or to extract some value, strange to play him 24 games and not try someone new, younger into that spot.
I'm not sure why it would be made public.

Subbing early in a final, now this. Seems personal, and amateur...and surely weakens our trade hand.

I'll add Kennedy is the best ambassador the club could hope for...the times we have chatted with him briefly he's really engaged. Can't speak highly enough of him.

Donā€™t care ā€œhow engagingā€ somebody is when it comes to football, silly argument to keep someone or look to extract value from.

The fact is, heā€™s a decent footballer but one that there is plenty of depth in and one that does nothing to fix the deficiencies of the team as a whole.

Itā€™s a good list management decision, weā€™ll get something decent for him and heā€™ll play in the midfield where heā€™s more suited to which is not something heā€™ll get with us.

I donā€™t understand the issue here, the same stuff happens at every club every year

Donā€™t care ā€œhow engagingā€ somebody is when it comes to football, silly argument to keep someone or look to extract value from.

The fact is, heā€™s a decent footballer but one that there is plenty of depth in and one that does nothing to fix the deficiencies of the team as a whole.

Itā€™s a good list management decision, weā€™ll get something decent for him and heā€™ll play in the midfield where heā€™s more suited to which is not something heā€™ll get with us.

I donā€™t understand the issue here, the same stuff happens at every club every year

It's not an argument either way...it's acknowledging a human quality.

I really like Kennedy as a footballer and person. Seems like a ripping guy. No doubt he'd be in the best 22 over the coming years filling holes. But I agree that the club needs to be bold and decisive if we are going to win a flag. Our midfield wae built around contested ball and physicality. The game has become more open and fast. You don't need 4 bulls in the midfield every week. You need 2 - 3 Max and they still all need agility.

I'm hopeful we can get a second rounder and he can play some good footy elsewhere in his preferred role.

Disappointed isn't the word for me.

The pain that I have for this decision makes me question the $3500 I channeled into the football club (membership, merch, function tickets, etc ) this year.

It's just absurd.
It's painful but it makes sense when you take the emotion out of it.

Free to explore doesn't mean he's gone, but if there's a mutually beneficial deal, he can take it.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back