• McDonald

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 115 62.5%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 10 5.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They could have easily turned that #1 into at least 2 top 5 picks and another first rounder this year or next and are banking on Reid to be the next Judd. It's silly. It's not basketball where you can build a team around 1 player. You have 17 others on the field.
Who has offered them 2 x top 5 picks? If they think the gap between Reid and the next best is that big then I think they are better off taking him. Unless 2 and 3 is on the table I'm taking Reid if I'm West Coast.

Who has offered them 2 x top 5 picks? If they think the gap between Reid and the next best is that big then I think they are better off taking him. Unless 2 and 3 is on the table I'm taking Reid if I'm West Coast.
Noone, it's just hypothetical. They need as many high end (top 10-15) picks as they can get their hands on in the shortest possible time imo.

I don’t think in their shoes I’d be taking Curtin over McKercher tbh

Look I don't really pretend to be an expert but if, at the very start of a long rebuild, you offered me a home state KPP or a better but out of state player with a new home team coming through in a couple of years... I take the former

The gist is that I think they either get the next best talent and more picks, or they just take Reid.

Look I don't really pretend to be an expert but if, at the very start of a long rebuild, you offered me a home state KPP or a better but out of state player with a new home team coming through in a couple of years... I take the former

The gist is that I think they either get the next best talent and more picks, or they just take Reid.
I'd be 100% taking Curtin if I were them, so pick 1 is silly.

Hawks offerred Brockman, 4 and F1 which will be 2x top 5 picks

Thats about the best they could ask for tbh, surprised they didn't take it

I'm a bit worried at our leaking of talent now, our 22 is fine but depth is becoming an issue

It has me hesitant on the Mcdonald trade and I'm a big fan, worried we may need to stock up on some more first round talent instead but then we get into a loop of losing more talent by the time they are ready.

Ok I've convinced myself to go for Mcdonald by the end of the post again, this post is pointless:drunk::drunk:

And if the Hawks jump up the ladder its not another top 5 pick... 4(5 after the Walter bid) and a future first that MIGHT be a top 5 pick isn't enough for the chance to draft Reid Imo.

Last edited:

There is a decent chance the Hawks F1 isn't top 5 though. Could easily find themselves in the 9-12 mix.

Reckon if that was straight up 4+5 the Eagles probably do it.
I'm a bit worried at our leaking of talent now, our 22 is fine but depth is becoming an issue

It has me hesitant on the Mcdonald trade and I'm a big fan, worried we may need to stock up on some more first round talent instead but then we get into a loop of losing more talent by the time they are ready.

Ok I've convinced myself to go for Mcdonald by the end of the post again, this post is pointless:drunk::drunk:
I'm a massive Treacy fan but I think his ceiling is Mihocek, maybe a little better and obviously no guarantee.

If McDonald does enough to suggest he is going to be A grade and we have the chance to get him, I think we have to do it.

You can find role players and depth. As we know better than most, getting top end KPFs is really hard and having two would be significant for our next decade.

Mihocek is a way more accomplished forward than Treacy.
I don't mind Treacy, but you are selling Mihocek way short here
I said ceiling which clearly implies he is not there yet.

And Mihocek got drafted at 25 so fair to say in terms of ALF output at 21, Treacy absolutely smashes Mihocek anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said ceiling which clearly implies he is not there yet.

And Mihocek got drafted at 25 so fair to say in terms of ALF output at 21, Treacy absolutely smashes Mihocek anyway.
Its an interesting one.

If Treacy becomes a mobile, reliable 2 goal a week forward (ie mihocek) its a fair premium to pay up for McDonald (trade collateral and cap space) and push Treacy out (making it hard to extract max value). Particularly if you have the ability to sign Treacy on a long term deal at fair rate (also an if).

Its an interesting one.

If Treacy becomes a mobile, reliable 2 goal a week forward (ie mihocek) its a fair premium to pay up for McDonald (trade collateral and cap space) and push Treacy out (making it hard to extract max value). Particularly if you have the ability to sign Treacy on a long term deal at fair rate (also an if).

Yeah I agree it makes it tough.

I guess we'd weigh up
  • whether we can play all 3 + Jackson and Darcy.
  • what else we could get with the picks and cap space
  • just how good we think McDonald is going to be
  • whether Treacy might be useful elsewhere on the ground

Glad it's someone else's job tbh, hopefully they smash it.

Mihocek was taken in the rookie draft not the main draft.
25 years old hence the comparison to Treacy at 21.

I'm never that impressed when I watch him and yet he kicked 32 goals this year.

I think my head is telling my intuition that it's wrong on this one. Think he's a 50+ 10 year forward.
Even watching his highlights vs Hawthorn, a team we belted twice, sure, he kicked 5. None of which were particularly skillful. Compare him directly to Amiss.

It's like, we want him purely because he ticks some height box, he was a high draft pick and he's originally west aussie. That's it.

Sure, he's only young but.. the eye test... Looks like a young Tabs.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 13.52.47.png

vs

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 13.53.03.png

Also, bare in mind Sydney have been very good the last few years and we've been middling to shit. I could be completely wrong of course.

Even watching his highlights vs Hawthorn, a team we belted twice, sure, he kicked 5. None of which were particularly skillful. Compare him directly to Amiss.

It's like, we want him purely because he ticks some height box, he was a high draft pick and he's originally west aussie. That's it.

Sure, he's only young but.. the eye test... Looks like a young Tabs.

View attachment 1835029

vs

View attachment 1835030

Also, bare in mind Sydney have been very good the last few years and we've been middling to s**t.
Not disagreeing with the eye test (although its far more convincing than Tabs at that age), I see the same thing.

Just thinking he is going to be a lot better than is obvious from that alone.

We'll find out a lot more this year I think.

And you won't find a bigger Amiss fan than me and I think he is at least a level above McDonald.

Not disagreeing with the eye test (although its far more convincing than Tabs at that age), I see the same thing.

Just thinking he is going to be a lot better than is obvious from that alone.

We'll find out a lot more this year I think.

And you won't find a bigger Amiss fan than me and I think he is at least a level above McDonald.
Like you say, we'll find out this year if he's worth spending big on.

I think he's very good but considering our other more pressing list needs, and the suggestion he'll cost all or most of those three first round picks, it's a massive no from me. I can't even believe it's being seriously discussed

This is the thing right, we have absolutely no depth. Let alone actually good starting wingers.

Can't be trading out of this many draft picks, paying a high price for McDonald is pushing the window back so far I'm not really sure it even exists.

Looking at our list Jackson, Young, Serong, Brayshaw, Cox and Darcy are all between 21, 10 months and 25 and 4 months.
Erasmus, Johnson, Amiss are 19 to 20.

That is 9 good to verry very good players in 6 years.

Now while I would like one or two more very good players in this group, I think we need to add 2 or 3 more and chase a flag using this core.

I am happy to get one or two older players, especially if they can improve our midfield or forward line.

Looking at the list of WA players, there is several wingers and mids, but not many small forwards. We should be looking to draft these.

4 1st round picks the next two years, lots of salary cap space, so let's use them so we can hit finals 2025 and for 3 or 4 years straight.

Cam Zurhaar (Free agent)
Nic Martin
Logan McDonald
Tyson Stengle (UFA) - would probably avoid, unless he was 100% committed

Callum Ah Chee - handy forward flank\mid
Chad Warner
Will Powell
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (South Australia but some WA connections and I love his run and carry). FYI - we should be able to get him for a future 2nd rounder :p

Ed Allan is the key target
2024- MacDonald and Martin come on down.
2025 Chad Warner. Yes please.

Back