• Chad Warner

Votes: 189 66.1%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 28 9.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately Sheezel was one of the all time go home risks, well entrenched as a leader in the Jewish community in Hawthorn. Was known on the WC board about 6 months out from the draft (posters that knew some of his coaches) that he would likely request a trade after 1 year. Supposedly we would have picked Jhye Clark if we kept pick 2, so saved from ourselves to an extent.

FWIW WC knocked off the pies 3 times that year, twice at the MCG. Not sure why you’d say they coughed it up.
Only the 6 goal lead they had at quarter time. Other than that, there's no other real reasoning behind it.

West Coast beat Collingwood during the regular season in 2022 as well and I'd hardly say they were the better team that year either.

Only the 6 goal lead they had at quarter time. Other than that, there's no other real reasoning behind it.

West Coast beat Collingwood during the regular season in 2022 as well and I'd hardly say they were the better team that year either.
It comes across as you think WC were a bit lucky. Only a 3 goal lead at quarter time. WC dominated scoring shots and I50 for the rest of the game, if anything they nearly choked missing a lot of sitters in the last quarter and dropping marks in the goal square. I’d argue beating them multiple times during the year, finishing above them on the ladder and leading i50s and scoring shots comfortably on the day was a pretty good indicator they were better.

Random comment moment: looking at that Sheezel et co draft, Busslinger just adds weight to the idea (or rather to the history Grainger-barrass and maybe even Curtin) that taking an in-form U18 WA key defender with good all round credentials might not be the best use of such a decent first round pick. How lucky we appear to have been with the Draper rookie pick?

Wonder what will happen next year with Cody Curtin....

It comes across as you think WC were a bit lucky. Only a 3 goal lead at quarter time. WC dominated scoring shots and I50 for the rest of the game, if anything they nearly choked missing a lot of sitters in the last quarter and dropping marks in the goal square. I’d argue beating them multiple times during the year, finishing above them on the ladder and leading i50s and scoring shots comfortably on the day was a pretty good indicator they were better.
I don't think WC were lucky, but I do think Collingwood gave up the win.

But if you disagree, that's cool. Each to their own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't think the Pies should have gone on to win after the start they had to the GF?
I didn't, unfortunately. It had that air of inevitability once the tide turned.

Eagles and Tigers were the clear 1 and 2 and the only reason I would have tipped the Tigers if they made the GF was because it was at the G. Would have tipped the Eagles at a hypothetical Optus GF.

Pies could have held on if they didn't try and slow the game down late though.

One thing worth noting for all the Draft WA talent enthusiasts on here.
In 2022 west coast did just that. Held pick 3 and could have taken Sheezel or Wardlaw. Instead they trade the pick out to get in Reuben Ginbey and Elijah Hewitt at 8 and 12 I think it was. Everyone said “ooh that’s smart.. two elite talents instead of one… fast track the rebuild. Etc

Right now that trade looks hideous. Ginbey looks like a C grade Plodder and Hewitt can’t get on the park. Granted they are still young and Hewitt in particular should still become something but my goodness me - I wouldn’t be swapping either of Sheezel or Wardlaw for those two guys now. Both of them are projecting as A grade, multiple AA level players in future.

Statistically speaking the best players are likely to be from Victoria most years. Thankfully Walls realised that a long time ago.
I think you are conflating two different things.
  • WC trading down is one thing
  • talent identification is another

The previous year WC opted for a Victorian, Chesser, over the local, Johnson. They had also traded down for that pick

They didn't get it right because Chesser is from Victoria and is therefore statistically speaking more likely to be better.

They did get it wrong because they got the talent identification wrong

And we didn't get Johnson because he was a local either.

I didn't, unfortunately. It had that air of inevitability once the tide turned.

Eagles and Tigers were the clear 1 and 2 and the only reason I would have tipped the Tigers if they made the GF was because it was at the G. Would have tipped the Eagles at a hypothetical Optus GF.

Pies could have held on if they didn't try and slow the game down late though.
Funny you mention that, now in retrospect, I do remember turning it off at qtr time thinking the Eagles would probably turn it around.

I still maintain the Pies should have gone on to win it and didn't. But I'm starting to think I might be the only one.

I think you are conflating two different things.
  • WC trading down is one thing
  • talent identification is another

The previous year WC opted for a Victorian, Chesser, over the local, Johnson. They had also traded down for that pick

They didn't get it right because Chesser is from Victoria and is therefore statistically speaking more likely to be better.

They did get it wrong because they got the talent identification wrong

And we didn't get Johnson because he was a local either.
Ya their talent ID has not been great in recent years. It’s not clear cut that Johnson was the player they obviously missed out on instead of Chesser either that year though.

They could have had Michito Owens (who looks a gun and nearly won the rising star last year, went at pick 33), Darcy wilmot, JVR, Conor Mcdonald, Kai Lohmann (who is turning into a ripper for the lions this year) and even Tom Brown at Richmond looks very impressive.
I’ve certainly been a fan of Johnnos work in recent weeks but he’s probably one of 7 or 8 that you could throw a blanket over in that draft after pick 14 that the eagles missed out on.
At this point in think most clubs would still select Owens and JVR ahead of Matt Johnson in a redraft.
Eagles fans would have liked the look of Allan and JVR spearheading their attack for the next decade

Ya their talent ID has not been great in recent years. It’s not clear cut that Johnson was the player they obviously missed out on instead of Chesser either that year though.

They could have had Michito Owens (who looks a gun and nearly won the rising star last year, went at pick 33), Darcy wilmot, JVR, Conor Mcdonald, Kai Lohmann (who is turning into a ripper for the lions this year) and even Tom Brown at Richmond looks very impressive.
I’ve certainly been a fan of Johnnos work in recent weeks but he’s probably one of 7 or 8 that you could throw a blanket over in that draft after pick 14 that the eagles missed out on.
At this point in think most clubs would still select Owens and JVR ahead of Matt Johnson in a redraft.
Eagles fans would have liked the look of Allan and JVR spearheading their attack for the next decade
Owens was an NGA player only available to St Kilda.

It was a knee-jerk list strategy. They targeted Chesser, over a mid, because they were looking to inject speed and outside run into their team. Their gameplan of slow methodical ball movement had been exposed and opposition teams were exploiting it with pace.

They were too ignorant to see that they had much bigger list issues.

It’s funny to read this thread the past couple of weeks. The 3 main points have been
Just draft with our picks don’t trade for future picks
Trade for future picks for Warner next year we don’t need any more kids
Trade the picks this year for players (Bolton/warner)

It’s been so split between everyone on what we should/will do I’m so unsure what is going to happen. Which makes it even funnier because in the past the team list has been lacking a lot that we know exactly what we should do eg trade for key fwds every year the past 15 years. The evenness of all 3 options on what we need to do probably shows how good of a position we are in list wise that any of the 3 options could be the right option

It’s funny to read this thread the past couple of weeks. The 3 main points have been
Just draft with our picks don’t trade for future picks
Trade for future picks for Warner next year we don’t need any more kids
Trade the picks this year for players (Bolton/warner)

It’s been so split between everyone on what we should/will do I’m so unsure what is going to happen. Which makes it even funnier because in the past the team list has been lacking a lot that we know exactly what we should do eg trade for key fwds every year the past 15 years. The evenness of all 3 options on what we need to do probably shows how good of a position we are in list wise that any of the 3 options could be the right option
Because we have a War Chest. David Walls must feel like a kid in a toy shop. So many options.
Treasure Chest Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back