• Chad Warner

Votes: 191 65.9%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 30 10.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Think a lot of people are over valuing our picks this year pick 12 will probably end up being in the 20s after all these academy and F/S picks

Bolton and baker together are probably worth pick 18 22 25 which is most likely what the picks will end up being after bids have been accepted
Nah, only 2 in the top 10 (Ashcroft and Lombard) a later pick in the teens may get pushed down further by one of the Campo boys. Then there’s Marshall, Welsh and the other Campo, but they look like early second round picks, the saints pick will end up near 30, but hopefully the new points system means those clubs need to use picks closer to the bid to match, for instance I can see lions trading their first for a bunch of second rounders to Richmond which means the Richmond 2nd is eaten by the Ashcroft bid match.

I think we need to take at least one good pick in the top 12 in this years draft.
We have basically sat out of 2 drafts in a row now. It does seem we may have got lucky with players like draper in the 2022 rookie draft.
However guys like Emmett, Delean, Wagner, Knobel, Reidy, Murphy, even cooper Simpson are all very unlikely to be elite talents.
Going three drafts in a row without any first round players of genuine quality would start to create a hole in the list that is not dissimilar to the drafts of 2012-2015, and we really need to avoid that if possible.
It really hurts a few years later.
I think it was actually the 2010 - 2012 drafts that killed our momentum post 2015. Essentially we should have been topping up our 2008 rebuild with top 10 picks (5 - 15) through this period (players like Tom Lynch, chad wingard, toby greene would have been around our picks) but instead we were topping up with picks 15-25 who turned out to be Jayden Pitt, Tommy and Croz. Essentially GC and GWS meant our window shut 2-3 years earlier then it should.

Jack Martin will be interesting as Freo could set a record for most players with a unique first name starting with J in a team.
Joshua Draper, Josh Treacy, Jye Amiss, Jeremy Sharp, Jaeger O'Meara, Jordan Clark, James Aish + Jack Martin all coached by a Justin. Either that or we can debut Jack DeLean. Otherwise, I don't see the point in trading him in.

I think it was actually the 2010 - 2012 drafts that killed our momentum post 2015. Essentially we should have been topping up our 2008 rebuild with top 10 picks (5 - 15) through this period (players like Tom Lynch, chad wingard, toby greene would have been around our picks) but instead we were topping up with picks 15-25 who turned out to be Jayden Pitt, Tommy and Croz. Essentially GC and GWS meant our window shut 2-3 years earlier then it should.

There are so many what ifs.

Trading for tarant cost us a chance at Reiwoldt.

Draft darling instead of Pitt.

We had chances, we just didn't nail enough picks and gave too many away for shit players.

Jack Martin will be interesting as Freo could set a record for most players with a unique first name starting with J in a team.
Joshua Draper, Josh Treacy, Jye Amiss, Jeremy Sharp, Jaeger O'Meara, Jordan Clark, James Aish + Jack Martin all coached by a Justin. Either that or we can debut Jack DeLean. Otherwise, I don't see the point in trading him in.

Just imagining that we are all here calling Wallsy a gun recruiter, meanwhile THAT has been his main goal all this time!

Hadn't considered this, very good point :think:

Yeah the expansion teams really dulled our drafts in that time. The smart thing to do would be draft now and trade when Tasmania enters the comp.

There are so many what ifs.

Trading for tarant cost us a chance at Reiwoldt.

Draft darling instead of Pitt.

We had chances, we just didn't nail enough picks and gave too many away for shit players.
Drafting Darling instead of Pitt and Mora not breaking down = flag(s)

Yeah the expansion teams really dulled our drafts in that time. The smart thing to do would be draft now and trade when Tasmania enters the comp.
Not really, we are a stacked and balanced team. 1 pick of need is required with a small forward but the rest are covered and will not have that much opportunity. Draft a little but not all three picks, flip them for more value and use them wisely over the next few years before Tassie enters to spread the talent out.

I read that 2 years of futures trading will be allowed this year. I'm hoping we can turn our last 1st rounder (our pick 18?) into a possible fallers first rounder in 2025. Saints 2nd might be able to turn into a first rounder in 2026, hopefully Carlton's for their missing piece and then they fall off a cliff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great chats.
  • 100% agree discussions on what to give up for Warner are getting out of hand because of the hand we have. It's the same with Bolton and particularly other supporters knowing what we have. That's what tends to happen when you have a haul, the picks can be devalued. Will need to be strong on negotiations where just because we have it, doesn't mean it's available.
  • The point on holding picks till draft night is a really good one. In this draft in particular where every team can find someone they love from pick 1 to 30 almost, if there is no Bolton or Warner we take ALL of them into draft night. There's absolutely no reason to do anything before then. We can target exactly who we want AND we can extort someone who had a massive hard on for a particular player.
Solid opinions and exceptional formatting

It was a knee-jerk list strategy. They targeted Chesser, over a mid, because they were looking to inject speed and outside run into their team. Their gameplan of slow methodical ball movement had been exposed and opposition teams were exploiting it with pace.

They were too ignorant to see that they had much bigger list issues.
wc injecting speed.
Yep, story checks out

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we need to take at least one good pick in the top 12 in this years draft.
We have basically sat out of 2 drafts in a row now. It does seem we may have got lucky with players like draper in the 2022 rookie draft.
However guys like Emmett, Delean, Wagner, Knobel, Reidy, Murphy, even cooper Simpson are all very unlikely to be elite talents.
Going three drafts in a row without any first round players of genuine quality would start to create a hole in the list that is not dissimilar to the drafts of 2012-2015, and we really need to avoid that if possible.
It really hurts a few years later.
Why would you already declare Simpson and Murphy as unlikely to be elite talents? They’re first year players in a team stacked with talent. It’s extremely premature.

This has gotta be some memory failure lol

If you really had Chad as your number 1 pick that year you are some kind of wizard.

Have you got any posts on bigfooty of you making that call, wpuld be wildly impressed if you did.
It wasn’t all that special. I declare every East Fremantle kiddie worth drafting our number 1 pick.

But I did have a lot of love for Chad.

There’s more but you get my drift.

Draft is where we have excelled.
Let's concentrate on that.
We don't need to be all out desperate for Bolton or Baker.
Warner would be berry nice though.
Not a glaring hole in the list at present..

Small forward first which will mean drafting.

Alex Pearce will get us a some draft capital in a few years with Tassie coming along if he is still healthy.

All the more reason to get as many young 1st round talents through the door these next couple of years before Tassie come in. We have basically sat out the last two first rounds due to the Jackson trade. I don't like the idea of doing it this year and next year too. Golden opportunity here. If we are as good as we all believe we will be from next year onwards we won't be seeing many high draft picks for a while.

Last edited:

Interesting reading.

The realization that Callum Toomey thinks we might be considering Caleb Serong begins on page 138. I'm only 5 pages on at 143 and gee, a lot of people make some big calls.

Interesting reading.

The realization that Callum Toomey thinks we might be considering Caleb Serong begins on page 138. I'm only 5 pages on at 143 and gee, a lot of people make some big calls.
Just shows how hard it is. People melting about Serong and talking up Stephens as if he's Peter Matera.

Also reading that makes me want to keep and use all our first round picks because the draft is fun AF.

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back