Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not saying it's not possible. I'd love 10 years of really competing for flags but it's just not likely. We could be good for a decade like Geelong were in the 20 teens but they were never a serious threat to win it all and were lucky to pinch one in 2022 before the wheels fell off.

Realistically we have 4 or 5 years and then have to retool around the group that are young now but will be the senior players for another run.

It's very difficult being the top dog where you are getting every teams best every week trying to knock you off.

This isn't quite correct. Brayshaw, Serong and Young will be 28-29.

Amiss, Treacy, Jackson, Draper, Johnson and others will be 25-27. That is with their best footy or extended peak still ahead.

I agree that an extended run is usually 3-4 years. It just isn't where this group is at. I would also argue that Geelong were right in it for years and criticised for losing in September to lower ranked teams.

Wins per season for Geelong 07 to last year:

18, 21, 18, 17, 19, 15, 18, 17, 11, 17, 15, 13, 16, 12, 16, 18 and 10.

I think we can say a 15 win season is top four and a chance to win it. That means they were in that position 13 times in 17 seasons.

This isn't quite correct. Brayshaw, Serong and Young will be 28-29.

Amiss, Treacy, Jackson, Draper, Johnson and others will be 25-27. That is with their best footy or extended peak still ahead.

I agree that an extended run is usually 3-4 years. It just isn't where this group is at. I would also argue that Geelong were right in it for years and criticised for losing in September to lower ranked teams.

Wins per season for Geelong 07 to last year:

18, 21, 18, 17, 19, 15, 18, 17, 11, 17, 15, 13, 16, 12, 16, 18 and 10.

I think we can say a 15 win season is top four and a chance to win it. That means they were in that position 13 times in 17 seasons.
How many grand finals did Geelong play in post 2011?

Baker and Bolton's best is behind them. Currently polished t*rds in a wooden spoon team. Need to be priced accordingly not sell the farm.

Let's not be Richmond, who recently bought Taranto and Hopper and late picks from GWS for 12, 19, 31 and a future F1. This was a disaster, and we do not need to copy their example.
Far out stranger, what a cooked post. Ridiculous.

Is this the same Geelong sitting 2nd on the ladder as we speak?

They are pretty much the club for us to emulate, and that is probably why our club recruits off field staff from them
Fantastic club. Well run. But let's be honest about this. Post 2011 they were a great regular season team but were irrelevant in September. And that is what matters. Looking to win flags not minor premierships.

It just amazes me players not even halfway through there contracts say I want to go home.

Like seriously what's the point of a 6 year contract if 2 years in.

I want to go home.

I get we may be advantage by it now. But still it's why even when we announce big long term contracts now you question is the player really going to stick it out for those 5 or 6 years.
100% - how/why should we have faith in any contracts?

Fantastic club. Well run. But let's be honest about this. Post 2011 they were a great regular season team but were irrelevant in September. And that is what matters. Looking to win flags not minor premierships.
Yet somehow they were 'lucky to pinch one'?

Hot tip: the more often you finish in the top 4, the luckier you get.

Hope we try that.

Yet somehow they were 'lucky to pinch one'?

Hot tip: the more often you finish in the top 4, the luckier you get.

Hope we try that.
They were the best team that year and you could say they were in genuine contention from 2020-2022. 2 Grand finals and a prelim. Lucky wasn't the right word but what I meant was after all those prelims and semi finals they really needed something to show for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We aren’t going to be contending for a full decade. People need to be realistic.
The comp structure is specifically designed to ensure that doesn’t happen.
If we did manage to do that it would be with an entire different team by the end of that decade bar a handful of stalwarts and a heck of a lot of traded in free agents and academy picks (which we will be paying more for than Sydney did).
I’m all for bringing in Bolton in to try maximise the next 5 years. Once out core players hit age 30 or so we will be in the same conversations that Melbourne and Richmond are in now. That’s totally fine too.
We just need to win a flag in the next 4 or 5 years. Draft picks in 2024 won’t help as much with that as Bolton will.

Did anyone say a full decade? I said 6 years which was more than most. Most of our top players are contracted for at least 5 years and will still be in their prime by then.

Darcy and Cox will be 32 in 2030
Brayshaw will be 31
Clarke and Frederick will be 30
Jackson, Serong, Young and Sharp will be 29
Chapman, Walker and Treacy will be 28
Amiss and Johnson will be 27
Draper will be 26.

All the above should still be playing at a high level.
If we add good youth to that list this year, it should still be a good team playing in or near their prime. They will be 24.

In six years, Bolton and Baker will be 32.
Warner will be 29.
I’m happy to have the Richmond players playing for us but they will probably only be good for at most 4 or 5 years. Warner yes please.

Bottom line is: I want to keep one or two high picks this year. We shouldn’t trade for the now like teams looking to get a 29 year old Barrass are. We need small forwards, but highly rated (and drafted) forwards often have an immediate impact.

Did anyone say a full decade? I said 6 years which was more than most. Most of our top players are contracted for at least 5 years and will still be in their prime by then.

Darcy and Cox will be 32 in 2030
Brayshaw will be 31
Clarke and Frederick will be 30
Jackson, Serong, Young and Sharp will be 29
Chapman, Walker and Treacy will be 28
Amiss and Johnson will be 27
Draper will be 26.

All the above should still be playing at a high level.
If we add good youth to that list this year, it should still be a good team playing in or near their prime. They will be 24.

In six years, Bolton and Baker will be 32.
Warner will be 29.
I’m happy to have the Richmond players playing for us but they will probably only be good for at most 4 or 5 years. Warner yes please.

Bottom line is: I want to keep one or two high picks this year. We shouldn’t trade for the now like teams looking to get a 29 year old Barrass are. We need small forwards, but highly rated (and drafted) forwards often have an immediate impact.

It is me who is talking a decade. And you have demonstrated why.

Including this year your tally is 7 years. We should be able to create a great team around that 26 - 30 group that gives us another 3 years to play finals at a minimum.

We will find a few, plus whoever we bring in at the end of this year and coming drafts.

I also think we are seeing that players can play very well into their 30's if they look after themselves. Is saying a decade optimistic? Probably a touch - but it isn't ridiculous either.

I agree that I want to keep at least one first this year to bring in quality.

What would Dan Curtin cost . Poor kid didn't even get 1min today
Probably zero chance now that Bolton and Warner are our main targets which sucks. Daniel Curtin's stats:

DGBKHBMCMTHOCLI50
R10180.0117505021
R12140.0104734013
R13140.095508112
R14222.0139407043
R15212.0183511054

The reports indicated that that rumour was one of the more blatant examples of "start a trade rumour to get the extension and pay rise with the current club up and rolling". Colin Young's agency I believe, so figures.
would love another Hill at Freo :)

Eternally grateful to Tracey for coming on so quickly because geez we dodged a bullet with Logan
Happy to admit I was wrong in wanting him.

100% on the Warner and Bolton train.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back