• Chad Warner

Votes: 191 65.9%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 30 10.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just shows how hard it is. People melting about Serong and talking up Stephens as if he's Peter Matera.

Also reading that makes me want to keep and use all our first round picks because the draft is fun AF.

Personality and competitiveness are key attributes we don't see Very much. I hope all our first round picks are competitive.

I can see something similar this year with most people wanting outside mids, forwards or a quick half back.

All the more reason to get as many young 1st round talents through the door these next couple of years before Tassie come in. We have basically sat out the last two first rounds due to the Jackson trade. I don't like the idea of doing it this year and next year too. Golden opportunity here. If we are as good as we all believe we will be from next year onwards we won't be seeing many high draft picks for a while.
Spreading out all the talent evenly doesn’t make us as strong as stockpiling the talent in their prime. Anything we draft now will take a few years to get up to speed. A reasonable overspend for a young gun hitting their prime now would be better. We can always offload some fringe players latter or trade into future drafts like we did last year for higher draft capital when it suits.

Interesting reading.

The realization that Callum Toomey thinks we might be considering Caleb Serong begins on page 138. I'm only 5 pages on at 143 and gee, a lot of people make some big calls.
I don't really know what the f--- I am actually trying to say here; but I'll claim it as an early post explicitly in favour of Caleb over others. Hell it's a very good top 7 (ex McAsey, look away Crom fans) and we have 3 of them: startthecar.gif.

The logical inference, presuming Twomey's top eight is accurate, is if our board reads something like this (exact order to 8 doesn't matter):

Rowell
Anderson
Jackson
Young
Flanders
Green
Serong
Henry

gap

Stephens
Robertson
(and so on)..

Then it would make sense that we take Serong as the gap in talent is greater than the amount we factor in for needs. (Afterall it can't be absolute can it, or you'd be taking key forwards ranked 50 just because they were the only one left and you need one with pick 5 or something)

Spreading out all the talent evenly doesn’t make us as strong as stockpiling the talent in their prime. Anything we draft now will take a few years to get up to speed. A reasonable overspend for a young gun hitting their prime now would be better. We can always offload some fringe players latter or trade into future drafts like we did last year for higher draft capital when it suits.

Yep - anyone that disagrees with you only has to look at players starting to play well this year that weren’t that great last year. Even some the guys that become good players this year weren’t nearly as good last year. Most draftees take years to develop - even some of the guys that play pretty much straight away take 4-5 years to really reach their peak.

Only reason to think we should be taking all picks to the draft is if you’re scared of our past trading history. Being scared as a footy club wins you nothing ever - Hope the club doesn’t have a similar attitude. I’ll give this board the tip - they don’t.

Draft is where we have excelled.
Let's concentrate on that.
We don't need to be all out desperate for Bolton or Baker.
Warner would be berry nice though.
Not a glaring hole in the list at present..

Small forward first which will mean drafting.

Alex Pearce will get us a some draft capital in a few years with Tassie coming along if he is still healthy.
Better to pinch a small forward from someone else that has been in the system a few years and is AFL ready. Drafting one is too much of a lottery, i.e Delean.

I'm trying not to be harsh but seriously, look at where the club is at. We have one of the youngest lists in the comp and are top 4 with not one core player over 28. Going heavily to the draft is just being afraid of success. Playing finals consistently is nice but I'm not passing up a better chance at a flag so that 10 years from now we finish 10th instead of 17th.

We are going to have to rebuild again, but that will be a lot ****ing easier to do watching a couple of grand final replays whenever we want.

It's hard to lose with two top 10 picks and another first but **** me, taking more than one to the draft is absolutely the worst result.

I'm trying not to be harsh but seriously, look at where the club is at. We have one of the youngest lists in the comp and are top 4 with not one core player over 28. Going heavily to the draft is just being afraid of success. Playing finals consistently is nice but I'm not passing up a better chance at a flag so that 10 years from now we finish 10th instead of 17th.

We are going to have to rebuild again, but that will be a lot ****ing easier to do watching a couple of grand final replays whenever we want.

It's hard to lose with two top 10 picks and another first but **** me, taking more than one to the draft is absolutely the worst result.
I don’t imagine we spend all three. Just need to take at least one.

I’m not scared of trading. I don’t reckon anyone was as keen as I was to get Dogga in the door. I’d have sold a kidney to get him.

But you don’t trade just because you can.

I sincerely believe Baker is not worth pursuing. I have reservations about Bolton and I reckon Sydney can fleece us for Warner.

Warner is closest to what the club believes it needs.

We need to use 1 first round pick this draft for two reasons.

(1) so some kid will be ready to play in our third flag
(2) so we know we haven’t paid overs for Chad.

I’m not scared of trading. I don’t reckon anyone was as keen as I was to get Dogga in the door. I’d have sold a kidney to get him.

I sincerely believe Baker is not worth pursuing. I have reservations about Bolton and I reckon Sydney can fleece us for Warner.

Oh yeah, A-grade players only, but dont be afraid of "over-paying"

Now it's the time to get Warner.

Give Sydney the 3x firsts and just get it done.

It wasn’t all that special. I declare every East Fremantle kiddie worth drafting our number 1 pick.

But I did have a lot of love for Chad.

There’s more but you get my

Hahah ok so it was a little tongue I'm cheek acknowledging bias thats fair.

I also find it funny how your tactic of just selecting all the east fremantle players would have actually paid off lol

You must be loving the recent trades and possible trades of Warner, Jackson, sharp, rivers rumoured etc

The good things about Baker is he is uncontracted so unlikely to cost a lot in terms of picks, he is consistent and can play a variety of roles which JL seems to like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t care about being fleeced for Warner just quietly. Fleece me, Horse.

I'd argue Moose is a core player at 29

but yeah, Core players over 26 are Ryan and Moose

I don’t care about being fleeced for Warner just quietly. Fleece me, Horse.
bojack horseman money GIF by NETFLIX

If the right player is available then yes.
Warner is the only player I want.

No point targetting other players.

Taking 3 to the draft is far from the worst result, we still have a young list this draft can make it better.

If Warner is not available, who do you target?

I’ve got a lot of faith the club will make the right call.

But 3 first rounders in a deep draft is not a bad result by any means.

Our development at Peel has been good generally speaking, and though touch wood we haven’t had much need for depth this year, that won’t be every year.

If we took a Ryan replacement, an inside mid or winger, and a small forward that’d be a good outcome, especially if the small forward is a real goal kicker.

Oh yeah, A-grade players only, but dont be afraid of "over-paying"

I’d be reasonably happy with a young but semi-proven small forward too tbh. The type that’s perhaps not best 20 or so at their club but will turn into that if they given opportunity to develop - kind of like Sharp has in another role.

The 2-5 years said already has in the system will be so much more valuable in the next two years than slightly more talent a late first rounder can provide. I’m talking the types you’d be hesitant to trade a first for but would happily trade a second for btw.

If the right player is available then yes.
Warner is the only player I want.

No point targetting other players.

Taking 3 to the draft is far from the worst result, we still have a young list this draft can make it better.

If Warner is not available, who do you target?
Easy, Bolton.

I have no problem overpaying with draft Capital for anybody. I just don’t want to commit too much salary for someone coming in when we have a lot of mouths to feed. Especially when players like Treacy are turning into Wayne Carey without the baggage before our eyes.

Our club turned the corner and got us in this position. I trust they will make the right call and not throw it all away now.

Easy, Bolton.

I have no problem overpaying with draft Capital for anybody. I just don’t want to commit too much salary for someone coming in when we have a lot of mouths to feed. Especially when players like Treacy are turning into Wayne Carey without the baggage before our eyes.

Our club turned the corner and got us in this position. I trust they will make the right call and not throw it all away now.
I don't think he is available.

I don't think he is worth the 1.2 million plus he is reported to be on.

Finally, Richmond would try to fleece us massively.

I’d be reasonably happy with a young but semi-proven small forward too tbh. The type that’s perhaps not best 20 or so at their club but will turn into that if they given opportunity to develop - kind of like Sharp has in another role.

The 2-5 years said already has in the system will be so much more valuable in the next two years than slightly more talent a late first rounder can provide. I’m talking the types you’d be hesitant to trade a first for but would happily trade a second for btw.
Is Darcy Jones an example?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Darcy Jones at GWS would be perfect, not sure what it would take, thinking our 1st rounder as not sure saints second would get it done.

Edit: he would have to beg for a trade as he’s contracted until end of 2026 “the GIANTS showed their commitment to Jones by locking him up until the end of the 2026 season with a two-year contract extension.”

I don't think he is available.

I don't think he is worth the 1.2 million plus he is reported to be on.

Finally, Richmond would try to fleece us massively.
He’s as available as the Chad but not coming from a contender. Paying overs in draft Capital means Richmond might pick up some wage for us.

All these details are unknown or wild media figures thrown about so I’m less worried on reports.

I don’t think we can bring in anybody and make them our highest paid player without a very good future plan and agreement from the playing group.

He’s as available as the Chad but not coming from a contender. Paying overs in draft Capital means Richmond might pick up some wage for us.

All these details are unknown or wild media figures thrown about so I’m less worried on reports.

I don’t think we can bring in anybody and make them our highest paid player without a very good future plan and agreement from the playing group.
Yeah, the 1.3mil was probably one year of 5, for all we know he’s on 700k for the other 4 years and Ralf is talking up the big number to increase trade value.

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back