• Charlie Curnow

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 33 11.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Darcy Jones an example?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Jesse Motlop falls into a similar bracket tbh and might cost just St Kilda’s second rounder. His numbers were good last year for a second year player. Injuries have meant he’s out this year but he’s the type that could become best 22 rather quickly if given the chance to develop.

I honestly believe our list with some more development could be good enough to snatch one in a year or two without adding A graders. Finding a way to get suitable replacements for Fyfe and Walters, who aren’t A graders anymore, is essential though. Getting actual A graders could mean we don’t need to snatch one as genuinely being the best team is a real possibility.

Jones and Motlop are the two WA boys I had in mind but the club has interest in Joe Richards from Collingwood as well. Richards is out of contract and probably quite cheap compared to the other two. Still a decent player.

Yeah, the 1.3mil was probably one year of 5, for all we know he’s on 700k for the other 4 years and Ralf is talking up the big number to increase trade value.
Yep,
The old Freo tax gets applied in the media. Players leave for less money but only come over for huge money.

It probably does help they get their info from Suma.

Richmond’s brilliant mid-forward Shai Bolton will join footy’s exclusive group of millionaires from next year with his deal worth over $1.1 million a season.
Bolton signed a lucrative new five-year contract extension in late 2022 which starts next year but is currently in the last year of his existing deal worth around $600,000 a season.
The Herald Sun can reveal that five-year deal is worth well over $1 million a year and even has scope to hit $1.2 million if he ticks off every games-based and best-and-fairest clause.

I think Jesse Motlop falls into a similar bracket tbh and might cost just St Kilda’s second rounder. His numbers were good last year for a second year player. Injuries have meant he’s out this year but he’s the type that could become best 22 rather quickly if given the chance to develop.

Is he best 22 for us?

Not sure he is. Looks a bit slow, and no left foot.

Surely with Bolton contracted so far into the future it devalues any trade. You would only release someone with 4 plus years on a deal if you thought you weren't going to get value for it.
Ask me to guess one way or another I'd say they really do want to ship him and Ralph puffing up the value is because he is delusional enough to believe it makes a difference.

What if Cooper Simpson turns into the Half Forward that we're all dreaming of? Has already shown he has the pace, skills and nous to be exactly the type we need to replace Sonny as the goal kicking flanker that gets up the ground.
Another pre-season under his belt next year I think he could be the man we need.

What if Cooper Simpson turns into the Half Forward that we're all dreaming of? Has already shown he has the pace, skills and nous to be exactly the type we need to replace Sonny as the goal kicking flanker that gets up the ground.
Another pre-season under his belt next year I think he could be the man we need.
Coops will be a ripper, however I see him more as a Switta replacement than a Walters replacement, he could maybe fill the small forward role, but not sure he has the natural goal kicking flair to be really dangerous.

I think the odds are massively in your favour trading picks for elite talent. I sure wouldn't take our draft picks back for Jackson.

The prospect of maybe more elite players at the draft is why they make the trade but we get the player immediately and don't need to hope.

I think the odds are massively in your favour trading picks for elite talent. I sure wouldn't take our draft picks back for Jackson.

The prospect of maybe more elite players at the draft is why they make the trade but we get the player immediately and don't need to hope.
Agreed.

With our current list profile and where we are at, we can afford to burn some (but not all) draft picks for some A grade Talent.

As long as we are trading in a Dogga like person and not a Jack Anthony

In the past we tried to bring in that second forward to help Pav. All of them failed. Besides maybe Tarrant but then we tunrned him in to a defender

Is he best 22 for us?

Not sure he is. Looks a bit slow, and no left foot.

I think he’d be the next man into the forward line as it stands. But a season or so of development and he’s probably best 22.

He’s a strange one imo. The negatives you point out are true but the numbers suggest he’s quite effective. Walters was never quick either although his skills are better.

The club needs to weigh up what’s more important - how said player plays in our premiership window or who has the better career. IMO the first is more important. Lachie Neale is dual Brownlow medalist but that doesn’t mean much ten years after we played in a Grand Final does it?

I honestly believe our list with some more development could be good enough to snatch one in a year or two without adding A graders. Finding a way to get suitable replacements for Fyfe and Walters, who aren’t A graders anymore, is essential though. Getting actual A graders could mean we don’t need to snatch one as genuinely being the best team is a real possibility.

Jones and Motlop are the two WA boys I had in mind but the club has interest in Joe Richards from Collingwood as well. Richards is out of contract and probably quite cheap compared to the other two. Still a decent player.
Love a Motlop.
Shopping is so much more fun when you've got folding money in your pocket.

If the right player is available then yes.
Warner is the only player I want.

No point targetting other players.

Taking 3 to the draft is far from the worst result, we still have a young list this draft can make it better.

If Warner is not available, who do you target?
I don't think he is the right player. Our midfield is already awesome and we have some players in development coming through, including Erasmus and Johnson. We also have quality depth.

What Warner can do is impact immediately and fast track the premiership push. But that could be true if the best player in almost any position was like linked to us apart from ruck. Incremental improvement at the top is critical.

The elephant in the room is the forward we bring in is replacing Walters and the midfielder we bring in is replacing Fyfe

It's gonna be super interesting to see how that plays out next year, reckon there is a Rich/Gunston at brissy situation to play out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird rumour on the rumours board about us chasing Bailey Smith

Why would you already declare Simpson and Murphy as unlikely to be elite talents? They’re first year players in a team stacked with talent. It’s extremely premature.
Historical Draft Statistics say they are highly likely to be second or third tier players. I’m not saying it’s certain but I think it’s unlikely they are going to be elite. They would not have slid to pick 35 and 40 if it was likely!

It also depends on your definition of elite. For me it’s a player that is at AA level. We only have a handful of elite players, just like every other team.

We could use AA selection as a means of measuring, at some point I'll go through the AA side of the last five years and see what draft pick they were taken with.
Not a hard and fast rule either though. Darcy Byrne Jones is an AA and Jacob Weitering isn’t, but which one would you rather?
AA section is a useful guide I guess.
The Xav Ellis approach of there only being 15-20 truly elite players in the comp at any one time is also a possible approach one could use.

Can we delist Fyfe. He's cooked and taking a best 22 position while stunting the development of others like Erasmus etc

Plus we have draft picks who should come in and have bucket loads of talent. He's in his mid 30s and he isn't Pendelbery who is actually playing well and a very good kick.

Last edited:
Can we delist Fyfe. He's cooked at taking a best 22 position while stunting the development of others like Erasmus etc

Plus we have draft picks who should come in and have bucket loads of talent. He's in his mid 30s and he isn't Pendelbery who is actually playing well and a very good kick.

We gave him and Walters a 2 year extension last year. Not gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back