Votes: 194 61.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 15 4.7%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 52 16.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not leaving this year
In that case I think we should use two picks in the ND and flick the other one into next year, and maybe use one first rounder to trade someone in. I guess who that might be is unclear if it’s not Warner, Baker, or Bolton.

That leaves us with two R1 picks in 2025 for Warner. It’s better than having 3 because if we have them, clubs will want them.

In that case I think we should use two picks in the ND and flick the other one into next year, and maybe use one first rounder to trade someone in. I guess who that might be is unclear if it’s not Warner, Baker, or Bolton.

That leaves us with two R1 picks in 2025 for Warner. It’s better than having 3 because if we have them, clubs will want them.
I don't want to send too many picks into the future tbh. One is perhaps okay imo.

Thing is if Warner doesn't come all we've done is put off drafting a high quality kid onto the list for twelve months. That twelve months less development in 2-3 years time when I think we'll genuinely be competing for a flag.

It's really hard to quantify isn't it? How much is actually due, still 1m a year or heavily back ended and actually closer to the 1.3m reported? That's a hell of an overpay I doubt we can afford to take on.

What's he worth out of contract? Despite what Tigs fans try to claim, he's 25 and the best player in the league, he likely is what he is, an elite offensive threat that goes missing on occasion. Made AA once and might have one or two left in him playing for us, definitely not getting one playing for Richmond. So what, a decent top 10 pick if out of contract, doubt it would be much more IMO so TWO top 10 picks is a decent sweetener.

All that rambling to say I agree they aren't paying half his contract for the next 4 years for that, but I'd hope it gets us a decent whack if they agreed to it.
Bolton is contracted until 2028 so he has four years left on his contract. If they want to speed up their rebuild we could offer two FRPs in exchange for a decent chunk of his salary to be paid for. We can offload Switta and Walters to accommodate this if need be. There is precedence for this occurring before. Remember that Hawthorn paid $500,000 of JOM's salary and Collingwood paid $1.5m of Treloar's salary.

I don't want to send too many picks into the future tbh. One is perhaps okay imo.

Thing is if Warner doesn't come all we've done is put off drafting a high quality kid onto the list for twelve months. That twelve months less development in 2-3 years time when I think we'll genuinely be competing for a flag.
I don't want to do that with a top 10 pick.

I'm having reverse death ride qualms already.

Least we dodged a bullet with not drafting collard

I hope this tarnishes his image so much in the eyes of the AFL that St Kilda will dump him from their list for basically nothing.

Because if the league can forget and move on from Taylor Walker being a racist, they can move on from Collard throwing around the F word.

There would need to be a clash of personalities at the club for Richmond to facilitate him moving to us by paying us to take him - or a massive salary cap hole they are in.

If there is a personality issue then buyer be very, very, beware.
Spot on! It still angers me watching Jessie Hogan carve it up at GWS when he did absolutely nothing for us.

Talk about a poor club fit!

Interesting reading.

The realization that Callum Toomey thinks we might be considering Caleb Serong begins on page 138. I'm only 5 pages on at 143 and gee, a lot of people make some big calls.
Just shows how hard it is. People melting about Serong and talking up Stephens as if he's Peter Matera.

Also reading that makes me want to keep and use all our first round picks because the draft is fun AF.
i'm proud that i've kept my shit takes up there

Bolton is contracted until 2028 so he has four years left on his contract. If they want to speed up their rebuild we could offer two FRPs in exchange for a decent chunk of his salary to be paid for. We can offload Switta and Walters to accommodate this if need be. There is precedence for this occurring before. Remember that Hawthorn paid $500,000 of JOM's salary and Collingwood paid $1.5m of Treloar's salary.
i'm not sure the way that 2020 collingwood were trading under ned guy should be considered standard practice though

How do we do that?

Word is that clubs rate this year's draft far more than next year's draft so they want to get their picks in the top thirty now.

Potentially it's because rules around academies etc will be different next year and they want a less diluted value for their pick now than later.

If it means we swap pick #14 for a future first from say Brisbane then it might not be too bad.

Collingwood, Bulldogs and Port all don't have firsts this year and will be starting in the draft in the late twenties - they may also want to buy the better pick with their future pick.

Now for some crazy Taylor examples:
Carlton trading pick #17 and future first to Freo for pick #9 on draft night to get ahead of their two bids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's just get the best talent possible with our early picks this year if we can't get Warner.

We can hand over other picks next year and into the future for him if when he's uncontracted.

Warner may not even leave Sydney
There is talent on other lists besides just Warner and Bolton. We need to use free agency and trades to improve our weaknesses and not just the draft.

There is talent on other lists besides just Warner and Bolton. We need to use free agency and trades to improve our weaknesses and not just the draft.
You need to give names, and realistic ones.

We really don't need B graders, we need top end stuff at this point. That is a very small pool of players.

You need to give names, and realistic ones.

We really don't need B graders, we need top end stuff at this point. That is a very small pool of players.
I am not a list manager so unsure of who we could get but I am sure there are many more than the 4 or 5 names we keep hearing about. We don't necessarily need A graders though as you don't get 18 A graders in a premiership team. We just need players that are better than the bottom third of our team and our team gets stronger.

I am not a list manager so unsure of who we could get but I am sure there are many more than the 4 or 5 names we keep hearing about. We don't necessarily need A graders though as you don't get 18 A graders in a premiership team. We just need players that are better than the bottom third of our team and our team gets stronger.

So to replace Banfield etc

Let's just get the best talent possible with our early picks this year if we can't get Warner.

We can hand over other picks next year and into the future for him if when he's uncontracted.

Warner may not even leave Sydney
I agree. If we negotiate this year Sydney have all the leverage and it tkae a monster trade to get it done like our first 4 picks. Why would Sydney trade him for less athan the absolute maximum. If we decide to trade in assets for next year then we could endup having to use them in a weaker draft possibly if he resigns with Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back