• Chad Warner

Votes: 194 60.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 15 4.7%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 57 17.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But I was also surprised Fyfe travelled. As Malpaso said, we may need other players to come into the team incase of injury etc during the finals but noone has been given a run. It really seemed like the ideal time to bring Brodie into the team, especially as he travelled, incase we need him later Reidy was another one. Surely, he needed to get some exposure incase he is required.

I point you towards Alfonz post earlier. The bloke is a ball butcher
Highlights sure. But he was a bloody good footballer before he went off the rails. Things aren't working at the bulldogs for him, just like they didn't with Dunkley. The chances of us getting him are nearly zero but he was a class footballer.

So with the talk of the evenness of the draft this year.

Hypothetically. Would we do (currently) picks 7, 10 & 14 for picks 1, 21 & Baker?

Why would Richmond do that?

Hypothetically. Would we do (currently) picks 7, 10 & 14 for picks 1, 21 & Baker?

There is no clear pick 1 player this year, the better question is what player are we targeting and why?

Baker is going to Eagles by all reports.

In my opinion we should target Berry or Kako, that will go pick 8 - 20, so I wouldn't want to trade out of the range.

I also think a few of the good outside mids will slip, so there is not a lot of benefit to trading up.

Why would Richmond do that?
No stand out number one, and more inside the top 10 to regen faster.

Looks better if they can win a few games and have pick 2 instead.
There is no clear pick 1 player this year, the better question is what player are we targeting and why?

Baker is going to Eagles by all reports.

In my opinion we should target Berry or Kako, that will go pick 8 - 20, so I wouldn't want to trade out of the range.

I also think a few of the good outside mids will slip, so there is not a lot of benefit to trading up.
“By all reports” is Ralph. The same guy who said two weeks ago smith to Collingwood was no chance, and this week is saying it’s a possibility.

We don’t know who the club is targeting, they may, like the giants with Cadman, have someone in mind and want to remove all chance from the equation.

I don’t think we should, want to just take those picks inside 10 to the draft, just don’t think the club will sit on its hands

Nope wouldn't be worth it for either team. Baker will be an Eagle.

I see two scenarios playing out.

We use 7 and 14, then trade 10 for a future 1st and maybe 23 & F2nd for F1st.

Get a couple of great young players, 7 best available (Allan) and 14 best small forward available. Load up for Warner next year.

Second scenario..
Sydney win the Flag.
7&10 go for Warner and 14 best small forward available, 23 to fill a need.

If Warner nor Bolton are going to happen, I tend to think we just keep it simple and use all 4 of our picks in this year's draft. I know there is an argument that we don't need more kids and premiership teams have a bunch of traded in players, but I don't see any good options that we can bring in except Warner or Bolton. Not a fan of Baker for salary cap reasons.

If Warner wants to come when his contract runs out, then we offer our 2025 and 2026 1sts (and maybe 2nds). It's not our fault if Sydney want more and that's all we have. They could have had more and chose to hold him (as they are entitled to do). The caveat is we have to be sure WC are not an option for Warner.

If the Tigers would do it that means we shouldn't.

If it is truly as even as ever, I'd rather two 3 cracks at 7, 10 and 14 than 1, 2nd round garbage and Baker.

If the Tigers would do it that means we shouldn't.

If it is truly as even as ever, I'd rather two 3 cracks at 7, 10 and 14 than 1, 2nd round garbage and Baker.
Yeah, I’d prefer to take those 2 picks.

But expect that would be about all we do, 2x picks and upgrade a rookie. (While downgrading someone else).

So if we think one of our targets will be available late, and we want to make sure we get who we want early?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Warner nor Bolton are going to happen, I tend to think we just keep it simple and use all 4 of our picks in this year's draft. I know there is an argument that we don't need more kids and premiership teams have a bunch of traded in players, but I don't see any good options that we can bring in except Warner or Bolton. Not a fan of Baker for salary cap reasons.

If Warner wants to come when his contract runs out, then we offer our 2025 and 2026 1sts (and maybe 2nds). It's not our fault if Sydney want more and that's all we have. They could have had more and chose to hold him (as they are entitled to do). The caveat is we have to be sure WC are not an option for Warner.
Almost 0% chance we use 4 draft picks this year. The mode for continued success is the Cats who use the draft from time to time but find and source free agents and trades as a key aim. We have the core nucleus of our team from the last 4 - 5 drafts and we may draft another 1 or 2 but why draft another 4 when we are going to have Sturt, Brodie, Davies, McDonald, Simpson, Worner, Wagner, O'Driscoll, Delean, Voss, Knobel, Reidy, Murphy, etc. all siting stuck at Peel trying to get a game.

If we can get Warner or Bolton that is one thing ....if not then with the evenness of the draft and combined with a top end that is just loaded with Victorian mids - well that makes for a real interesting draft night.

With just a single highly rated South Aussie mid in Draper .....if Adelaide don't take him at pick 3 or 4 (as they may feel like that is reaching if he moves back or others up the draft) and he is still there at our first pick then I'd expect some very decent bids from both Adelaide and Port. Port come in at pick 33 and Adelaide's 2nd pick is 29 ....we have 4 picks before these and I'd certainly look at what they had to offer.

Otherwise you have a host of pretty even talent ....it is very possible that someone who a club rates as a top 1 or 2 player ....falls to 7. In this case it is much easier for a club to convince themselves to trade into that pick at a price.

Trade for a piece that makes a difference or buckle up.

If we can get Warner or Bolton that is one thing ....if not then with the evenness of the draft and combined with a top end that is just loaded with Victorian mids - well that makes for a real interesting draft night.

With just a single highly rated South Aussie mid in Draper .....if Adelaide don't take him at pick 3 or 4 (as they may feel like that is reaching if he moves back or others up the draft) and he is still there at our first pick then I'd expect some very decent bids from both Adelaide and Port. Port come in at pick 33 and Adelaide's 2nd pick is 29 ....we have 4 picks before these and I'd certainly look at what they had to offer.

Otherwise you have a host of pretty even talent ....it is very possible that someone who a club rates as a top 1 or 2 player ....falls to 7. In this case it is much easier for a club to convince themselves to trade into that pick at a price.

Trade for a piece that makes a difference or buckle up.

#5 and #31 from Adelaide for #7 and #24 feels a bit uneven towards Adelaide doesn't it.

Bit Port F1 and #30 for #7 and #24 somehow feels better.

Even though pick #5 is probably the best we could hope for in regards to a future pick.

Perhaps North or Richmond will sell their pick #1 or #2 to Gold Coast for #8 and #9 to boost their rebuilds

If we were to look at our best 22/23 and players that aren’t going to be in our next premiership I’d say
Walter’s Fyfe defs need replacing
Fyfe could be replaced by a winger and have johnno perm inside mid
Walters replaced by a SF or if coop can develop quick can be his role

Then the 50/50s are Sturt Banfield JOM walker
Wagner and Freddy to some extent
On there day easily could play in a premiership side just not consistent enough barring JOM who could just get slower with age

Think we have to be patient we don’t have a Time Machine to make the kids 24-26 and be in there prime. I’m happy to either go all in on Warner/bolton but not against drafting needs

Yeah, I’d prefer to take those 2 picks.

But expect that would be about all we do, 2x picks and upgrade a rookie. (While downgrading someone else).

So if we think one of our targets will be available late, and we want to make sure we get who we want early?
I guess if we think there is a clear no1.

I'm fully expecting something to happen with our picks and probably something we don't see coming.

#5 and #31 from Adelaide for #7 and #24 feels a bit uneven towards Adelaide doesn't it.

Bit Port F1 and #30 for #7 and #24 somehow feels better.

Even though pick #5 is probably the best we could hope for in regards to a future pick.

Perhaps North or Richmond will sell their pick #1 or #2 to Gold Coast for #8 and #9 to boost their rebuilds

I'd be hoping to catch a future first as part of the deal if it was Adelaide, as to me it only works if the Crows decide to take someone else first like a Finn O'Sullivan or Smillie and then decide that they want that local lad in Sid Draper if he's on the board.

If I'm looking to roll picks forward - I'd happily trade our 1st pick in this draft for the Adelaide future first next year and then just play the sweetener game of asking for a later swap pick.

Almost 0% chance we use 4 draft picks this year. The mode for continued success is the Cats who use the draft from time to time but find and source free agents and trades as a key aim. We have the core nucleus of our team from the last 4 - 5 drafts and we may draft another 1 or 2 but why draft another 4 when we are going to have Sturt, Brodie, Davies, McDonald, Simpson, Worner, Wagner, O'Driscoll, Delean, Voss, Knobel, Reidy, Murphy, etc. all siting stuck at Peel trying to get a game.

That group of players you list is just a regular group of fringe players that every club has. It's not a reason to stop trying to draft better players when there aren't any ready made players to bring in.

What works for other sides doesn't necessarily work for us. Our drafting is what has worked the best for us. We don't have the pool of experienced players willing to come to us that Geelong has.

If Warner and Bolton aren't coming this year, then what are you doing with those draft picks? I don't want Baker. Too expensive and stuffs our salary cap up for the return.

For me, the best way forward is throw everything at Sydney, but if they don't budge then hit the draft draft this year when we have the best hand and it is a strong draft. Maybe we move one pick forward and only take 3 decent picks to the draft. Try again with Warner next year and have no decent draft picks for 2025 and 2026. Target Rivers as a free agent end of 2027.

I personally think our genuine window is 2026-2028. I think we are still a bit off the pace this year (e.g. 5th/6th), and perhaps next year (e.g. 3rd/4th). It is not impossible to snag one in those years, but if we don't, then hopefully Warner is the catalyst to make us go bang. Maybe we can stretch it to 2030 if Cox/Darcy can still go strong from 30-32 like say May/Gawn at Melbourne. Players drafted in 2024 could be crucial for our chances in 2027-2030.

Good chance we offload Brodie. He would be looking for greater opportunity. We won’t get much but could upgrade St Kilda fourth or get a F3.

Have heard there is not much interest in Brodie. most liking be at freo next year
Aside from the list spot, not the worst thing tbh.

Every chance Fyfe & JOM play less next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back