• Pickett

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You would think after playing at the top level for so many years Fyfe would automatically have good instincts for the game. Doesn’t seem to have. Maybe his mind hasn’t come to terms with his physical deterioration.
On the other hand the more time he has to think the worse the result.
From outside it’s difficult to assess whether he adds value or not. If he is selected week after week we have got to assume that the coaching panel believe that he is on the plus side of the ledger.
Anecdotally, he appears to stabilise things when he comes on and it sometimes seems that we start having issues when he is out of there. Not always, but often. It's just his kicking and lack of defensive run that is the issue. Along with his lowish game time.

You would think after playing at the top level for so many years Fyfe would automatically have good instincts for the game. Doesn’t seem to have. Maybe his mind hasn’t come to terms with his physical deterioration.
From outside it’s difficult to assess whether he adds value or not. If he is selected week after week we have got to assume that the coaching panel believe that he is on the plus side of the ledger.

Imo decision making in sport is like a blend of instincts and conscious decision making. When confidence is low and the pressure is on the blend between when to use instinct and when to use actual decision making doesn't work as well. I have played a few league games for Peel and had a few boxing fights, and when the pressure is on thats what it felt like to me, over thinking and no flow state.

Last edited:

I have heard that in negotiation that once you put your offer on the table, the next person to speak loses the deal. So I agree, hold the two top ten picks and our future first and put two of those on the table for either Warner or Bolton and let them think about it for a couple of days.

Warner end of 2025 that isn't signed to an extension turns into our two teens picks with a second coming back. A long way from two of the top ten in this "superdraft" compared to next year.
Correct.
Also known as the pregnant pause. Classic sales technique. Usually is preceeded with a closed question. A cars salesman taught me in my youth , it used to be the bread and butter for retail selling of any reasonable ticket price item. Nowadays sales has evolved a lot and that would be a bit cringy and customers are more informed due to internet and buy less on emotion.
Although at a more sophisticated level the concept is very much still valid.
Also works in sport , like in cricket when the bowling side has the batsman tied down , no runs but no wickets. Batsman are not getting out but no runs. Usually the one who breaks loses, either bowling side makes a change and releases the pressure for runs or batsman makes a rash shot and gets out.

I always find these types of takes pretty funny on a football forum. We are discussing things in a list management thread, but aren't allowed an opinion unless it's positive because we are just casuals.

Guess you are pro Walters as well then I take it.
I'm fine with your opinion, but the way I see it:

Walters and Fyfe are on the list.

The metric is wins.

The decision maker is Longmuir.

Longmuir is a decent chance to be coach of the year.

If Warner nor Bolton are going to happen, I tend to think we just keep it simple and use all 4 of our picks in this year's draft. I know there is an argument that we don't need more kids and premiership teams have a bunch of traded in players, but I don't see any good options that we can bring in except Warner or Bolton. Not a fan of Baker for salary cap reasons.

If Warner wants to come when his contract runs out, then we offer our 2025 and 2026 1sts (and maybe 2nds). It's not our fault if Sydney want more and that's all we have. They could have had more and chose to hold him (as they are entitled to do). The caveat is we have to be sure WC are not an option for Warner.
The more I read this, the more I agree.

The whole reason you have to trade in is that you cannot draft enough of the right age group to compete together. But Sharp and Jackson went a long way to rounding out that cohort.

We have already done some of the required trading.

We need more but we don’t need to **** the future in doing so.

Let the ones in genuine need do the bending over.

Like I said of course I could be wrong. But I don't think I am. And all you have offered for discussion is condescending comments about how he is picked so he must be doing good.

Again, have you never disagreed with the selection panel?
Really? So you think you've offered a detailed case in "he's not contributing"? And "his contribution might be in a role that's non-obvious, but coaches have set would be more than aware of" is nothing? LOL

It is hard to take seriously responses that are quick to play the victim card and devolve into generic copy and paste insults, nevertheless...

Fyfe is not perfect. The coaches are not perfect. There are things I wouldn't mind them doing differently. But the results that have been achieved with such a young team to this point of the year is a fair case for trusting their method.

Gerard is spot on here let’s be honest.
This is only going to make the whole rort even worst.
There’s a chance we are a winner from this next year of course.
But I hope that the god-awful draft value index is changed dramatically this year or this is just a switch back to 2020 when everyone lost their minds as the bulldogs got ugle Hagan for free basically.

Equalisation is dead

Gerard is spot on here let’s be honest.
This is only going to make the whole rort even worst.
There’s a chance we are a winner from this next year of course.
But I hope that the god-awful draft value index is changed dramatically this year or this is just a switch back to 2020 when everyone lost their minds as the bulldogs got ugle Hagan for free basically.

Equalisation is dead

To be fair equalisation was dead when only Northern clubs were getting decent access NGA's and only random clubs were paying stuff all for Father /sons . The index is being changed. I just hope they go hard enough

Anecdotally, he appears to stabilise things when he comes on and it sometimes seems that we start having issues when he is out of there. Not always, but often. It's just his kicking and lack of defensive run that is the issue. Along with his lowish game time.
In any case he should be rested occasionally, no point going to Tassie.
Same with Walters. Try to get them primed for one last finals campaign.
If we played a true ruck, then Jackson could be tried in Fyfes position.
But you can make an argument that even JOM, etc, need to be in good form
or replaced.

In any case he should be rested occasionally, no point going to Tassie.
Same with Walters. Try to get them primed for one last finals campaign.
If we played a true ruck, then Jackson could be tried in Fyfes position.
But you can make an argument that even JOM, etc, need to be in good form
or replaced.
Couldn't agree more. Or keep our structure up forward and play Brodie inside also maybe Jaeger going in there as well occasionally. Nash is 198cm or something and Meek is a big man . We needed bigger more mature bodies in there.

Of course it's possible. Are you gonna have a crack at all the people disagreeing with the selection of Walters as well or just me on Fyfe?

Dropping Fyfe would essentially retire him and is a massive call to make for JL on a club champion?

Maybe don't shut people down on opinions on a football forum mate, team selections on this forum are a constant discussion.

Did you wanna also message snuff and have a crack at him for his wajt for freo to drop Walters?

Not shutting down opinions - its the statements of “fact” you make that i am questioning. All ya gotta do is add a “i reckon” or “i think” and what you are saying is more than fine👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think he does better when he doesn't have time to overthink his options & relies on his footy instincts

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Couldn't agree more. Or keep our structure up forward and play Brodie inside also maybe Jaeger going in there as well occasionally. Nash is 198cm or something and Meek is a big man . We needed bigger more mature bodies in there.
Fyfe needs continuity in games, when we rested him after his best game of the year he took awhile to return to reasonable footy.

Fyfe needs continuity in games, when we rested him after his best game of the year he took awhile to return to reasonable footy.
Then we need a player of similar ilk to take his place when he rests forward or on the bench. Whether that is Brodie or Jaeger or both, I don't care. He can't play full games so maybe he needs to find a way to get himself up for games after a break. It is about team now, not individuals.

Not shutting down opinions - its the statements of “fact” you make that i am questioning. All ya gotta do is add a “i reckon” or “i think” and what you are saying is more than fine👍

I'm always open to being wrong lol, sometimes I can state things as fact but I normally try to add an "imo" at the end of it.

I only got as defensive here because people seemed to be having a sarcastic dig at me rather than countering my points.

Really? So you think you've offered a detailed case in "he's not contributing"? And "his contribution might be in a role that's non-obvious, but coaches have set would be more than aware of" is nothing? LOL

It is hard to take seriously responses that are quick to play the victim card and devolve into generic copy and paste insults, nevertheless...

Fyfe is not perfect. The coaches are not perfect. There are things I wouldn't mind them doing differently. But the results that have been achieved with such a young team to this point of the year is a fair case for trusting their method.

Play the victim card? You came in and had a go and when I had a go back cried. You are the one playing victim. Other posters mentioned that it might not be so obvious, you replied instantly with an arsesmart comment. I should have just not bothered replying after reading your name, quality troll tho I respect it.

I love 95% of what longmuir is doing, if you look through my previous posts on this forum I am genuinley super positive. But this is something I disagree with that's all.

To be fair equalisation was dead when only Northern clubs were getting decent access NGA's and only random clubs were paying stuff all for Father /sons . The index is being changed. I just hope they go hard enough

Equalisation was never alive but still born. It is rather all about the optics of opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back