Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Darcy trade discussion in the media is getting tiresome, but I do agree with Haselby that we need to do something this offseason. I’m not talking about a Hail Mary trade, but if we assume that we will just come good next year then I think we are cooked.

I hope the club has a good review of the season and makes the appropriate changes - maybe it’s in the coaching box (assistants), maybe it’s in strategy. But standing still is a road to nowhere on the back of 2023.
It's experience and it's obvious if you check.

How do you compare us to the Suns in terms of expectations for next year, out of curiosity?
Should we be outperforming them in 2024?
Hardwick is apparently aggressively looking to bring in a big fish this off season. They are getting 3 top 15 picks, one of whom will play R1 as a key forward next year. Wouldnt be surprised if someone like Jack Ginnivan ends up going up there too.

Personally I think they are expecting to rise significantly next year. I see them as a very comparable club to ourselves in terms of list profile. Most of their elite talent is in the same age bracket as our elite talent. That 2016-2021 draftee kinda range.
If they are sitting in 6th place next year and we are still down in 14th I don’t think it would be acceptable from our POV.

No doubt we should get better with more experience, but that’s not a guarantee (see Gold Coast, pre-Roos demons).

What I’m referring to in no particular order:

• Fyfe as a forward
  • Fyfe and Tabs in front of Amiss at the start of the season
  • Treacey getting dumped after Rd 1
  • No valid plan B for the wing (Hughes FFS?)
  • Unbelievably rubbish first quarters
  • Ryan dumping it to a wing incessantly

How do you compare us to the Suns in terms of expectations for next year, out of curiosity?
Hardwick is apparently aggressively looking to bring in a big fish this off season. They are getting 3 top 15 picks, one of whom will play R1 as a key forward next year. Wouldnt be surprised if someone like Jack Ginnivan ends up going up there too.

Personally I think they are expecting to rise significantly next year. I see them as a very comparable club to ourselves in terms of list profile. Most of their elite talent is in the same age bracket as our elite talent. That 2016-2021 draftee kinda range.
If they are sitting in 6th place next year and we are still down in 14th I don’t think it would be acceptable from our POV.
They should have been better than us this year and should definitely be better next year.

It's interesting to see if Dimma can get them going. I suspect he can. Wouldn't surprise me to see them in a prelim but then nobody else has managed with equal or more talent in the past.

No doubt we should get better with more experience, but that’s not a guarantee (see Gold Coast, pre-Roos demons).

What I’m referring to in no particular order:

• Fyfe as a forward
  • Fyfe and Tabs in front of Amiss at the start of the season
  • Treacey getting dumped after Rd 1
  • No valid plan B for the wing (Hughes FFS?)
  • Unbelievably rubbish first quarters
  • Ryan dumping it to a wing incessantly

The difference is we have 2022 where we showed with a bit more experience that we could do it. GC and Dees didn't have that form line.

As much as I didn't enjoy Hughes on the wing, I didn't mind it as an option to try. The bigger problem on the wing was that it took Liam half the season to come on and Noddy was a complete no show.

Plan B I think is rubbish. Literally every coach bangs on about getting a "insert team here" type game. Coaches only make small tactical moves not game plan overhauls in game or even in season.

The Ryan stuff I have NFI why we don't jazz up kick ins.

The rest I don't care about.

The problem we have is that experience can explain a lot of our issues so it's basically impossible to tell which ones are systemic and which are personnel.

I mean consider how many concessions the suns have received over the years and how many they still receive today. 3 top 15 picks for free essentially, while we can't even access our own NGA talent much later in the draft. And the AFL paid for Dimma to go there. Can't keep comparing us to clubs that receive all these handouts when we have to fix our own mistakes.

I mean consider how many concessions the suns have received over the years and how many they still receive today. 3 top 15 picks for free essentially, while we can't even access our own NGA talent much later in the draft. And the AFL paid for Dimma to go there. Can't keep comparing us to clubs that receive all these handouts when we have to fix our own mistakes.
I don’t disagree with your point, the concessions are a disgrace but I mean, if we accept that then what’s the point ever trying to win a flag.
We will have to beat the suns and 16 other teams to climb the mountain. Unless it really is just impossible.

I hope the club has a good review of the season and makes the appropriate changes - maybe it’s in the coaching box (assistants), maybe it’s in strategy. But standing still is a road to nowhere on the back of 2023.
You’re not the first to make this argument, but say the review determines that the biggest problem was the multitude of changes (list and coaching): wouldn’t the appropriate change then be to minimize the number of changes?

I don't disagree with you - but this the essence of why we're such a mediocre club, we've always got an excuse. Your reasoning is valid, but really who cares about the reasons, no matter how valid? Fact of the matter is our cupboard is empty and no amount of valid excuses make that feel any better.

thankful for Collingwood winning the cup this year. Carlton, GWS or Brisbane and we would have had article after article in the local rag until trade period on how ex-Freo player was glad they left the rotting corpse that is the FFC. Thank you Pies.
I'm sure someone will manage to squeeze in a story about us taking Sturt instead of him sometime very soon.

I was devo at the time. Was mad keen on Hill.
Before he kicked 8 in the finals series he wasn't having a particularly stand out year. 25 goals from 21 games. Stats all average. I'd have to watch the game again (which I won't) but I really would like know what was going on as it looked to me like Hill was pushing up high on the fat side then running forward all by himself. Maybe have someone pick up his run after he kicks his second but nup, Brissie did nothing till the second half.

Before he kicked 8 in the finals series he wasn't having a particularly stand out year. 25 goals from 21 games. Stats all average. I'd have to watch the game again (which I won't) but I really would like know what was going on as it looked to me like Hill was pushing up high on the fat side then running forward all by himself. Maybe have someone pick up his run after he kicks his second but nup, Brissie did nothing till the second half.
I was watching the game on 7plus which had about a minute delay and was scrolling through twitter who was watching it live. Saw a tweet like "who's on Bobby Hill" so I decided to watch the play focusing only on Hill knowing he was either going to mark/goal in the next minute. Long story short not a single Lions player paid attention to him at all. Completely alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was matched up by Kedean Coleman wasn't he? More focused on rebounding himself and less on stopping his direct opponent.

Definitely, never looked like the u18 player at AFL level until that first half.

Yeah I did wonder who the hell was on Hill in that first half. Was it Coleman? Maybe they were thinking that he could have had more impact running around doing his thing than playing a more defensive game.

Yeah I did wonder who the hell was on Hill in that first half. Was it Coleman? Maybe they were thinking that he could have had more impact running around doing his thing than playing a more defensive game.
I'm not sure it was Coleman. He was matched up on him that one time when he kicked his 3rd or 4th (?) and Hodgy picked it out, but that was from a stoppage wasn't it? The rest of the time he seemed to be running free from deep. I find it hard to believe Coleman was under instruction to drive the game forward but they forgot to tell anyone to roll back and cover people entering through his part of the zone?
I'm not sure its an individuals fault, I'm pointing the finger at the coaches.

Brisbane defensive unit actually held down the Pies forward line down really well, more than half their entire tally of goals was kicked out of the midfield.

But I got the vibe watching that Coleman v Hill was going to decide the medal and the game.
So, what you're saying, is that Brisbane lost the game...

At The CONTEST..

happy birthday GIF

Dayne Beams cost them..

Trading for Beams cost Brisbane the pick they got DeGoey with and Crisp.
Agree, but at the time they were losing A graders every year and were desperate to get players to come to them so they could build a reputation as a destination club, do they attract Neale, Daniher, Cameron if they don’t bring in Beams?

Agree, but at the time they were losing A graders every year and were desperate to get players to come to them so they could build a reputation as a destination club, do they attract Neale, Daniher, Cameron if they don’t bring in Beams?
Considering Neale was paid the money from Beams' last two years on the contract, they don't get him if Dayne doesn’t come so he could leave.

SO this is completely random and not at all new, but I was searching for info on Fyfe's total contested possessions for each season, and this was brought up in the results:

I would have read this at the time, but it's nice to be reminded of how brilliant he has been. Looking at it now after reading so many comments about Fyfe offering no defensive pressure, it was interesting to see this line towards the end:

"789 – Fyfe’s career tackle count is the third most-for Fremantle. He only needs nine more to overtake Matthew Pavlich (798) to move into second place."

This is in the lead up to his 200th game, so basically was averaging 4 tackles a game up to that point. Obviously tackling is only one measure of defensive effort (arguably the most attacking form of defence, at that), but I remain impressed by how well he performed even against the measures that he's not best known for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back