Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh I agree, but we seem to be completely ignorant of the fact we could draft attacking / goal sense players.

The one who we have drafted in Sturt has been held out of the team because he doesn't tackle enough. Boggles my mind.

We get guys who end up taking shots on goal and just don't have the knack for it. For years people have been screaming for Fyfe to be a forward, I've been fairly adamant he is not a forward. We need to start going after guys who not only can kick goals, but who WANT to kick goals.

Amiss is hopefully a step in the right direction.
Yep Sturt and Amiss are our 2 best “natural forwards” which is what we’re crying out for, yet we’re trying to rush everything and hinder their development. We’ve done all this development and now are trying to cut the last corner.

Can still get that key forward later, getting Jackson doesnt exclude us from bringing anyone else in.

While I agree he's not a forward (and I hope the club see it the same), he still had three shots on goal where I'll back him to average converting at least 2 of those opportunities normally. Keep building his tank so he can play like 60-70% midfield and ruck and be a real point of difference to our midfield that lacks a bit of x-factor.
although he had 3 shots, my problem is (like with fyfe) those shots are midfield crumbing type goals, they're not leading to space or working an opponent over like a natural forward does. Those shots were just pure midfielder type goals. same with fyfes 6 goals in his 2 pre-season games.

Yep Sturt and Amiss are our 2 best “natural forwards” which is what we’re crying out for, yet we’re trying to rush everything and hinder their development. We’ve done all this development and now are trying to cut the last corner.

This is it

Yet we don't play them. They are the future

Don't know if this has been posted here before. Some stats and wotnot. We crabbed it essentially.

Speed kills: How run-and-gun footy dominated round one

Fremantle was the least efficient team of the round, ranking No.1 for disposals, marks and switches, and bottom two for scores per inside 50 (18th) and kick forward percentage (17th) in its loss to St Kilda.

The Dockers' corridor use was high, albeit not in a way that challenged the opposition before their defence was set.

Corridor use from defensive 50, R1 2023

1. Port Adelaide, 2. Fremantle, 3. Collingwood, 4. Brisbane, 5. Hawthorn, 6. Essendon, 7. Carlton, 8. Sydney, 9. Gold Coast, 10. Melbourne, 11. Geelong, 12. Adelaide, 13. West Coast, 14. St Kilda, 15. Western Bulldogs, 16. GWS, 17. Richmond, 18. North Melbourne

Port Adelaide and Collingwood revealed themselves to be two of the boldest teams in the competition in the opening round, ranking No.1 and No.3 respectively for corridor use when coming out of the defensive 50.

The style was highly effective, with both teams also ranking in the top four for converting rebound 50s into inside 50s, turning possession chains into scores, and scores per inside 50.

Chain to score percentage for, R1 2023

1. Port Adelaide, 2. GWS, 3. Essendon, 4. Collingwood, 5. Adelaide, 6. Melbourne, 7. North Melbourne, 8. Geelong, 9. Sydney, 10. Hawthorn, 11. West Coast, 12. Western Bulldogs, 13. Brisbane, 14. Richmond, 15. Carlton, 16. Fremantle, 17. St Kilda, 18. Gold Coast

Fremantle's clash with St Kilda provided arguably the biggest contrast in styles when the two teams had the ball, with the Saints ranking No.2 for kick forward percentage and Fremantle 17th.

Ross Lyon's team also took 17 bounces compared to the Dockers' five, with Jack Sinclair, Bradley Hill, Jade Gresham and Ryan Byrnes combining for 13 of those.

Having faced a St Kilda team last Sunday that repeatedly clogged the Dockers' forward half, how Justin Longmuir adjusts in round two against North Melbourne will be one of the most interesting aspects of this weekend.

The Magpies' clash with Port Adelaide, however, promises to deliver on pure excitement if both teams continue to challenge their opponents with daring ball-use out of the back half.

I'd trade him for one of their firsts but I can see a possibility of it biting us in the future

I'm not sure his kicking will ever get up to standard, hope I'm wrong
If you get a pick 10 for him and trade it for Pickett, you are automatically a better team. Probably not good to do culture wise though. I have always favored Johnson over Ras but we won't know for a few more years who will be the better pick.

According to a recently retired West Coast player, they have a deliberate trade embargo with Freo as they don't want their players to be able to leave and see Freo as an option to stay in WA. When players leave West Coast, they want it to be interstate and generally for family reasons. It's why they resisted Jayme Graham coming to Freo so much when he was heading here. Unless they've very recently lifted that embargo we don't run any risk of losing players to West Coast

According to a recently retired West Coast player, they have a deliberate trade embargo with Freo as they don't want their players to be able to leave and see Freo as an option to stay in WA. When players leave West Coast, they want it to be interstate and generally for family reasons. It's why they resisted Jayme Graham coming to Freo so much when he was heading here. Unless they've very recently lifted that embargo we don't run any risk of losing players to West Coast
Losing Trent Carroll to us was the last straw for West Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a rant earlier re the Barra and Quarters podcast- that's it I'm done. Got halfway through last night's episode before I couldn't subject myself to Barichs utter dribble. Hearing him shit on freo for most of it then defending buddy franklins bump sent me over the edge. The bloke had absolutely no idea and I'm cancelling my subscription. GGF

You can't expect Victorian audiences to have to watch Fremantle v North on a Saturday night.

I suppose they do since they have us playing an hour earlier than normal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back