Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon won’t commit to more games in WA despite travel burden on Fremantle, Eagles​

Headshot of Mitchell Woodcock
Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Wed, 17 July 2024 6:49AM
Mitchell Woodcock
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon has stopped short of promising more games in WA as Fremantle and West Coast push to ease their travel burden.
Dockers chief executive Simon Garlick gave a “detailed presentation” about the burden on the WA clubs of the number of games outside of the state and was backed by his Eagles counterpart Don Pyke.
It comes two years after an extra interstate game has been added to their because of the introduction of Gather Round, which is held in South Australia, taking the total to 11.
While it was part of a CEO featuring all 18 clubs in Perth, no concrete solutions have emerged from the two-days of meetings.
Speaking after the conference, Dillon conceded the fixturing was a “complex issue” and there were options on the table.
“Our fixture is a complicated set of arrangements and there are a number of competing interests. We’ve got venues, we’ve got broadcasters, we’ve got club preferences,” Dillon said.
“We will look at that and ultimately where WA (clubs) were coming from was to look at fewer nights away from home and is there a possibility to travel west.
24c9779637355de2d3d72a57a35e7d8399dc8062.jpg
Sport. AFL. Fremantle Dockers players arrive at Perth Airport for their flight to Melbourne to play Richmond on Sunday. Josh Treacy, Jordan Clark and Jeremy Sharp. Yes
“There’s a number of potential outcomes there but we have to work through that.”
Asked how they could limit travel for the WA clubs and if there would be more games in WA, Dillon said: “I don’t want to go into detail on that, but I think there are different options.
“You might have potentially more games in Western Australia. That’s one option but that’s difficult when you have venues, broadcast.
“We’ll look at more opportunities for the WA clubs which they have done previously to play two games from home at a time.
“At the moment we’ve got a fixture and a fixturing process that’s been in place for a long time with an equal number of home and away games and now of course Gather Round.”
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon denies league has a homophobia issue after latest incident
‘We’ve got an incredible game,’ AFL CEO Andrew Dillon stands by controversial tackling suspensions
It is being widely reported that the AFL is set to change the rules around Next Generation Academy prospects and the draft index, giving clubs greater accessibility to the talent they develop.
Previously most clubs except for the NSW and Queensland clubs have not been able to match bids on their NGA products inside the top 40.
This led to West Coast being unable to draft Lance Collard (St Kilda) last year, while Fremantle missed out on Mitch Edwards (Geelong).
69fed737e9337406f0e133878daa0542860c4964.jpg
Malakai Champion could land at West Coast with NGA changes. 2024 AFL Photos No
These rules are set to change and will have an impact on the Eagles who can land NGA forward Malakai Champion this year as well as Wes Walley and Koby Evans in 2025.
Fremantle would also be able to get Toby Whan in next year’s draft.
“With the competitive balance, that access to draft talent is really important and we want to make sure that when you have that preferential access to a player you’re paying as far a price as possible,” Dillon said.
“We’ve still got a little bit more consultation to do (on if the NGA rules will change in 2024) and ultimately that will be a decision for our commission.”

They don't give a shit! The only way to make them realise would be if the WA clubs forfeited games because of the travel.
Forfeit would mean no game, no tv, no advertising, no getting in to kids apps and getting them gambling.
They are basically morally bankrupt, and use weasel words to save their own bacon.
White man speaks with fork tongue, comes to mind!

This wouldn't be bad. Play Saturday night, followed by Friday night in one state then spend two weeks home.

We’ll look at more opportunities for the WA clubs which they have done previously to play two games from home at a time.,

But I can't see why a Vic club can't have a home game in Perth once every five years. It wouldn't kill them. Its just a case of whether the Afl has the authority (or will) to dictate that to the Victorian clubs

AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon won’t commit to more games in WA despite travel burden on Fremantle, Eagles​

Headshot of Mitchell Woodcock
Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Wed, 17 July 2024 6:49AM
Mitchell Woodcock
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon has stopped short of promising more games in WA as Fremantle and West Coast push to ease their travel burden.
Dockers chief executive Simon Garlick gave a “detailed presentation” about the burden on the WA clubs of the number of games outside of the state and was backed by his Eagles counterpart Don Pyke.
It comes two years after an extra interstate game has been added to their because of the introduction of Gather Round, which is held in South Australia, taking the total to 11.
While it was part of a CEO featuring all 18 clubs in Perth, no concrete solutions have emerged from the two-days of meetings.
Speaking after the conference, Dillon conceded the fixturing was a “complex issue” and there were options on the table.
“Our fixture is a complicated set of arrangements and there are a number of competing interests. We’ve got venues, we’ve got broadcasters, we’ve got club preferences,” Dillon said.
“We will look at that and ultimately where WA (clubs) were coming from was to look at fewer nights away from home and is there a possibility to travel west.
24c9779637355de2d3d72a57a35e7d8399dc8062.jpg
Sport. AFL. Fremantle Dockers players arrive at Perth Airport for their flight to Melbourne to play Richmond on Sunday. Josh Treacy, Jordan Clark and Jeremy Sharp. Yes
“There’s a number of potential outcomes there but we have to work through that.”
Asked how they could limit travel for the WA clubs and if there would be more games in WA, Dillon said: “I don’t want to go into detail on that, but I think there are different options.
“You might have potentially more games in Western Australia. That’s one option but that’s difficult when you have venues, broadcast.
“We’ll look at more opportunities for the WA clubs which they have done previously to play two games from home at a time.
“At the moment we’ve got a fixture and a fixturing process that’s been in place for a long time with an equal number of home and away games and now of course Gather Round.”
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon denies league has a homophobia issue after latest incident
‘We’ve got an incredible game,’ AFL CEO Andrew Dillon stands by controversial tackling suspensions
It is being widely reported that the AFL is set to change the rules around Next Generation Academy prospects and the draft index, giving clubs greater accessibility to the talent they develop.
Previously most clubs except for the NSW and Queensland clubs have not been able to match bids on their NGA products inside the top 40.
This led to West Coast being unable to draft Lance Collard (St Kilda) last year, while Fremantle missed out on Mitch Edwards (Geelong).
69fed737e9337406f0e133878daa0542860c4964.jpg
Malakai Champion could land at West Coast with NGA changes. 2024 AFL Photos No
These rules are set to change and will have an impact on the Eagles who can land NGA forward Malakai Champion this year as well as Wes Walley and Koby Evans in 2025.
Fremantle would also be able to get Toby Whan in next year’s draft.
“With the competitive balance, that access to draft talent is really important and we want to make sure that when you have that preferential access to a player you’re paying as far a price as possible,” Dillon said.
“We’ve still got a little bit more consultation to do (on if the NGA rules will change in 2024) and ultimately that will be a decision for our commission.”
Ahh yes, why did I get any kind of hopes up. The $ rules all. Gather round for SA, opening round for Northern Teams and every other round for VIC teams. **** WA though, give us the money you make then get ****ed

Ahh yes, why did I get any kind of hopes up. The $ rules all. Gather round for SA, opening round for Northern Teams and every other round for VIC teams. **** WA though, give us the money you make then get ****ed
No we will never make Collingwood or Carlton play in the NT or Tasmania and allow the Bombers, Pies, Bulldogs and Blues to have 6 or 7 games in a row in Victoria and if you're lucky we might let you play 4 times a year at the MCG instead of 3. The AFL is a complete joke!

This wouldn't be bad. Play Saturday night, followed by Friday night in one state then spend two weeks home.

We’ll look at more opportunities for the WA clubs which they have done previously to play two games from home at a time.,

But I can't see why a Vic club can't have a home game in Perth once every five years. It wouldn't kill them. Its just a case of whether the Afl has the authority (or will) to dictate that to the Victorian clubs
I don't think they want to be away from home for long periods either, like when we were in Adelaide?

their gift to us is having Stevic umpire most of our games lol

I am sure they have the authority to tell the VFL clubs what to do, but do not have the balls to actually do it to the likkes of Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, etc, the elite VFL clubs.
Maybe a bonus. That shopuld please everyone.Still gob smacked HTF you can have a bye in the first round of competition.A bye without playing a game WTF> I say again WTF. they will give us the Opening round bye plus the round one as a
Plenty of we will look into it. Just like the peeping Tom perving throuugh a dirty window.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think they want to be away from home for long periods either, like when we were in Adelaide?
Yeah but two weeks at home after that. It would just be 7 days, two games and home for 14 or so days. We get there two days early anyway, so they wouldn't be away much longer than usual, but would have to do it less frequently.

This from Dill say, look it is all too bloody hard to work out.We have more important things going on to worry about you moaners.
We really don't give a Rats Rse about you here. We have clubs like Collingwood, Essendon , Carlton Richmond... did I forget any one!! Oh Yes Geelong to worry about.
You lot are way down the list of have to please.

Yep, that would be just what Dill was thinking

Problem is that we have done this twice and both times we have been belted by teams we should beat at home the next week

Dogs in 2023
Eagles in 2024

Problem is that we have done this twice and both times we have been belted by teams we should beat at home the next week

Dogs in 2023
Eagles in 2024
Yeah the Eagles tried it years ago and they didn't like it. The fact that we have so many players from out of state might make it less of an issue though. Most of the Eagles players at that time were West Australians. Ultimately, It would probably be up to the players to decide what they preferred. If it was me, I would stay for a week and then be home for two or three. That's just me though. The loses might be sorted out if it was something they did more often.

Still, I don't think we are the one's who should have to make all the concessions though. Vic clubs should just be asked to come over once in a while.

Yeah the Eagles tried it years ago and they didn't like it. The fact that we have so many players from out of state might make it less of an issue though. Most of the Eagles players at that time were West Australians. Ultimately, It would probably be up to the players to decide what they preferred. If it was me, I would stay for a week and then be home for two or three. That's just me though. The loses might be sorted out if it was something they did more often.

Still, I don't think we are the one's who should have to make all the concessions though. Vic clubs should just be asked to come over once in a while.

How is training impacted away from home?
Week away from family?
Not easy decisions

Once a year is ok

I can’t stand the fact that the AFL treats our relatively simple request, asking for an extra game at home in response to the SA teams getting one - as if we had just made an outrageous request and that they would be doing us the worlds biggest favour to do so
It is funny how broadcast, venues, complexity, preferences etc wasn't an issue when gather round and zero round were very quickly put into place.

Apologies if I've missed it but watched this evening and it's so laughable but also so believable for the AFL:

It's so bloody typical. Hope the club questions the Clark stuff too if true.

What a joke... the league is a joke and run in a ridiculous manner. Going that long without a skills session and without practice making decisions as a group etc is going to cause a decline that won't be stopped quickly. Things start sliding and the tend to slide past the point on intervention. What a clown league.

Apologies if I've missed it but watched this evening and it's so laughable but also so believable for the AFL:

It's so bloody typical. Hope the club questions the Clark stuff too if true.

Not overly surprising given the state of umpiring this year and the incompetence of this administration.
What's the point in questioning the Clark stuff at this stage, every person on the field and watching at home that day knows that game was the ultimate stitch up but they would just lie and say it was all good, like they did at the time, and that the ump was dropped for unrelated reasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back