Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question -
If the club was rich enough to charter a couple of luxury private jets for these games, would the cost come out of the soft cap?

AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon won’t commit to more games in WA despite travel burden on Fremantle, Eagles​

Headshot of Mitchell Woodcock
Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Wed, 17 July 2024 6:49AM
Mitchell Woodcock
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon has stopped short of promising more games in WA as Fremantle and West Coast push to ease their travel burden.
Dockers chief executive Simon Garlick gave a “detailed presentation” about the burden on the WA clubs of the number of games outside of the state and was backed by his Eagles counterpart Don Pyke.
It comes two years after an extra interstate game has been added to their because of the introduction of Gather Round, which is held in South Australia, taking the total to 11.
While it was part of a CEO featuring all 18 clubs in Perth, no concrete solutions have emerged from the two-days of meetings.
Speaking after the conference, Dillon conceded the fixturing was a “complex issue” and there were options on the table.
“Our fixture is a complicated set of arrangements and there are a number of competing interests. We’ve got venues, we’ve got broadcasters, we’ve got club preferences,” Dillon said.
“We will look at that and ultimately where WA (clubs) were coming from was to look at fewer nights away from home and is there a possibility to travel west.
24c9779637355de2d3d72a57a35e7d8399dc8062.jpg
Sport. AFL. Fremantle Dockers players arrive at Perth Airport for their flight to Melbourne to play Richmond on Sunday. Josh Treacy, Jordan Clark and Jeremy Sharp. Yes
“There’s a number of potential outcomes there but we have to work through that.”
Asked how they could limit travel for the WA clubs and if there would be more games in WA, Dillon said: “I don’t want to go into detail on that, but I think there are different options.
“You might have potentially more games in Western Australia. That’s one option but that’s difficult when you have venues, broadcast.
“We’ll look at more opportunities for the WA clubs which they have done previously to play two games from home at a time.
“At the moment we’ve got a fixture and a fixturing process that’s been in place for a long time with an equal number of home and away games and now of course Gather Round.”
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon denies league has a homophobia issue after latest incident
‘We’ve got an incredible game,’ AFL CEO Andrew Dillon stands by controversial tackling suspensions
It is being widely reported that the AFL is set to change the rules around Next Generation Academy prospects and the draft index, giving clubs greater accessibility to the talent they develop.
Previously most clubs except for the NSW and Queensland clubs have not been able to match bids on their NGA products inside the top 40.
This led to West Coast being unable to draft Lance Collard (St Kilda) last year, while Fremantle missed out on Mitch Edwards (Geelong).
69fed737e9337406f0e133878daa0542860c4964.jpg
Malakai Champion could land at West Coast with NGA changes. 2024 AFL Photos No
These rules are set to change and will have an impact on the Eagles who can land NGA forward Malakai Champion this year as well as Wes Walley and Koby Evans in 2025.
Fremantle would also be able to get Toby Whan in next year’s draft.
“With the competitive balance, that access to draft talent is really important and we want to make sure that when you have that preferential access to a player you’re paying as far a price as possible,” Dillon said.
“We’ve still got a little bit more consultation to do (on if the NGA rules will change in 2024) and ultimately that will be a decision for our commission.”
Surely Sydney need to bid on Wes Walley and then change their jumpers to have horizontal red stripes & a beanie :)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are from different states and not full time umpires, so not that unexpected. The part that annoys me is that they don't appear to get together (either in person or electronically) to agree on interpretations of rules. They may, but it doesn't seem like it.

It wouldn't be hard to get them all together a couple of times a year. Do some sessions through gather round for example.

The only explanation is that it hasn't been prioritised. If the AFL values something they make it happen.

You can’t fly non stop to Launceston I don’t think. If you can it might only be once or twice a week

I have been trying to plan a mountain biking trip to Derby, and I can't seem to find any direct flights to Launceston (the nearest airport to Derby).

I swear Qantas or Virgin advertised a few years ago they were doing it, but if they did then I can't find them now or they have been cancelled.

West Coast chief executive Don Pyke has assured Eagles fans of “positive” discussions around equality and fixturing to come out of the AFL chief executives’ meeting held in Perth this week.

All 18 CEOs and AFL representatives, including league boss Andrew Dillon, met at Optus Stadium on Tuesday as part of the collaborative talks where Pyke and Fremantle chief executive Simon Garlick championed for greater equality for the WA clubs.

The Eagles and Dockers are chasing a better fixture, having been forced to travel an extra game in recent seasons because of the introduction of Gather Round.

In an address to West Coast members and fans, Pyke said he was confident the talks were leading in the right direction to helping reduce the burden of travel.

“I attended the AFL CEOs’ conference here in Perth earlier this week and we had some positive and collaborative discussions around competitive balance issues, future fixturing and the strategic direction of the game,” Pyke said.

“Please be assured we continue to push to ensure that some of the inequities that exist in the current national competition are being acknowledged, considered, and addressed at AFL level.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back