Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo chat at 32:22

tl;dr: 5th best with the ball. The last 6 weeks we are second only to Brisbane for scores off turnover. Easiest to move the ball against. Winning the ball back between the arcs the 2nd least.

Other points from the video: We are 4th and just behind Brisbane in points differential from turnover. 17 of the last 18 premiers have been top 3. Young is top 10 in the comp for effective inside 50s whereas Serong is 2nd worst.

tl;dr: 5th best with the ball. The last 6 weeks we are second only to Brisbane for scores off turnover. Easiest to move the ball against. Winning the ball back between the arcs the 2nd least.

Other points from the video: We are 4th and just behind Brisbane in points differential from turnover. 17 of the last 18 premiers have been top 3. Young is top 10 in the comp for effective inside 50s whereas Serong is 2nd worst.

You can see all those things.

We've been shredding teams on turnover, but geez we looked easy to move the ball against when the Dees did get out of their D50 on Sunday. The differential is so good because clearance is so good.

Serong tidying up his delivery / damage inside 50 instantly takes him into Brownlow territory

Serong tidying up his delivery / damage inside 50 instantly takes him into Brownlow territory

I reckon his last 6 weeks have been very good in this respect. It’s a feel more than stats,and he’s also been kicking some snags

I reckon his last 6 weeks have been very good in this respect. It’s a feel more than stats,and he’s also been kicking some snags

He has a tendency to bite off too much and not take the first or the simple option. The coaches will be all over it though. It works well for him by hand in congestion and we want him playing with confidence, so a balance needs to be found. I agree about the last 6 weeks. He has improved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love my Bae. Unselfish and great team guy. Can they please announce a signing soon please.
I've heard it's all but done but will be Christmas gift like other previous years

How Josh Treacy went under the radar in his draft year and is now starring at Fremantle​

Josh Treacy didn’t play in his draft year, but Fremantle took a chance on him and it’s paying off. MARK DUFFIELD chats with the Dockers’ power forward on his journey so far.

5 min read
July 24, 2024 - 5:53PM
https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/f.../bb798cfef1fec742f5549d08620460d5#share-tools
Josh Treacy has had a breakout season. Picture: Getty Images

Josh Treacy has three nicknames: There is JT - his initials as many teammates know him. There is The Big Cohuna - a reference to his size and his home town in Victoria.
And there is Cyclone - as some fans know him, referring to the big wind that blew through Darwin at Christmas time in 1974.
It is an ill wind that blows no good as they say. The global tragedy that was the COVID 19 pandemic probably blew Treacy past the waiting eyes of recruiters and into Fremantle’s path in 2020.
Fremantle’s young power forward has kicked 39 goals this season to stake a claim on being the most improved player in the AFL and elevate himself onto the cusp of conversations like - should he make the All-Australian squad?
Treacy sits sixth in the Coleman race. Picture: Getty Images

He is a week away from his 22nd birthday, almost exactly a year older than Fremantle’s other young forward Jye Amiss who is about to turn 21. He is just under a year younger than the other target in attack, forward ruck Luke Jackson - who is still only 22.
Jackson was pick three in his draft year. Amiss was pick eight.
Treacy? He was pick seven in the 2021 rookie draft which begs the question - how did the 195cm 95kg powerhouse we now see playing slide through an entire draft, then get past the first six picks in the rookie draft?
And the answer is no one got to see him play in his draft year because the pandemic shut and junior footy down.
A recruiter this week, asked if he had seen Treacy play before his draft year, said he had. When asked what he saw, he said that it was some of what we see now.
“He played for Bendigo versus the Western Jets at Mars Stadium. He was best on ground by a mile. He led hard and strong, and kicked four goals.”
That was Treacy’s bottom age year - 17. The recruiter remembered and made a note to himself that he was big for 17 and it would be worth watching how he progressed as an 18-year old.
Another said he impressed him as a 16-year old because of how well he moved for his size - again - keep a watch on him. But when Treacy’s draft year came around no-one got to see him.

AFL COLEMAN LEADERS​

1. Charlie CurnowCARL53
2.Jesse HoganGWS49
3.Ben KingGC45
4.Harry McKayCARL44
5.Jake WatermanWC41
6.JOSH TREACYFREM39

Treacy missed out on playing in his draft year. Picture: Getty Images

“As an 18-year old when they take footy away from you as happened with COVID. It felt like the world was going to end. We soldiered on. The draft night wasn’t a memorable night but the next morning was,” Treacy said.
When the 2020 draft came around at the end of the 2020 season, Treacy and his family did not make a big occasion out of watching the event on television. He had a feeling that if his bottom age year was all recruiters had to go on, it wasn’t going to be enough.
“Deep down I probably knew I wasn’t going to go anywhere. It was a pretty emotional night. I might not have shown much emotion but it was a pretty tough pill to swallow.”
The next morning his mum decided to track the rookie draft on her computer while Treacy sat quietly in another room. He heard her squeal - and then the phone rang.
“The next few hours were a bit of a blur,” he said.
He still can’t remember who from Fremantle was on the phone but reckons it must have been then football manager Peter Bell.
He has looked like one of the great draft bargains from day one: He kicked a bag of goals on pre-season debut for Peel but also got himself reported and suspended. He kicked another bag on his return and ended up playing 15 games of AFL in his debut season for 13 goals.
He battled injury and an interrupted pre-season in a four-game second season, then managed 17 games for 15 goals as a 20-year old in his third.
He was, at that point, expected to be the support cast for Amiss. This year he has become the main act.
The Fremantle forward line has a number of weapons. Picture: Getty Images

“I don't think a heap (has changed),” he says. “It is probably just a lot of confidence to be honest. The ability to back myself and be backed in by others has played a huge part. My impact is valued greatly within these four walls.”
“I have learned to be a bit smarter on where to run and how to use my body.”
Victoria’s COVID shutdown turned recruiting that year into educated guesswork and the Dockers scouts were smart enough to see and remember the early promise.
“It is five or six years ago now. I think my physicality and competitiveness has always been there. My ability to hit the scoreboard as well. I may have shown a glimpse of something in my bottom aged year that was enough.”
Treacy remembers the Dockers being one of a few clubs that wanted more than one chat with him in his draft year.
“My family and I were writing a story in our heads that they might have been more excited but it is hard to know whether they actually were,” he said.
“I wouldn’t change any of it because if I hadn’t gone through what I had I wouldn’t be in this position at the moment.”
Can Fremantle challenge for the flag in September? Picture: Getty Images)

There is a dual narrative playing out at Fremantle at the moment. There is what they might do in the next two months - they are fourth at the moment. And there is the upside that lies ahead for a group that fielded the youngest team in the AFL the weekend they beat Sydney at the SCG.
“I feel like we have it in a pretty good spot but I also feel we have so much growth still to have in that area,” Treacy said.
But he also stressed the now “comes first”.
“Focus on the position we are in now rather than worrying about what is to come. It is clearly an exciting position for the football club, where we are right now but we understand there is a lot of hard work coming up,” he said.
Treacy is 54 games into his career now and a lot of stuff about AFL footy is just starting to make sense to him.
“You run on emotion a lot as a young guy coming in. You are just so excited to be playing AFL footy and sometimes you forget to do the things I am starting to do now,” he said.
“I have always prided myself on being a good kick and not just a kick for goals but a really good field kick as well. I feel like that plays a big part in my game.”

How Josh Treacy went under the radar in his draft year and is now starring at Fremantle​

Josh Treacy didn’t play in his draft year, but Fremantle took a chance on him and it’s paying off. MARK DUFFIELD chats with the Dockers’ power forward on his journey so far.

5 min read
July 24, 2024 - 5:53PM
https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/f.../bb798cfef1fec742f5549d08620460d5#share-tools

Josh Treacy has three nicknames: There is JT - his initials as many teammates know him. There is The Big Cohuna - a reference to his size and his home town in Victoria.
And there is Cyclone - as some fans know him, referring to the big wind that blew through Darwin at Christmas time in 1974.
It is an ill wind that blows no good as they say. The global tragedy that was the COVID 19 pandemic probably blew Treacy past the waiting eyes of recruiters and into Fremantle’s path in 2020.
Fremantle’s young power forward has kicked 39 goals this season to stake a claim on being the most improved player in the AFL and elevate himself onto the cusp of conversations like - should he make the All-Australian squad?

He is a week away from his 22nd birthday, almost exactly a year older than Fremantle’s other young forward Jye Amiss who is about to turn 21. He is just under a year younger than the other target in attack, forward ruck Luke Jackson - who is still only 22.
Jackson was pick three in his draft year. Amiss was pick eight.
Treacy? He was pick seven in the 2021 rookie draft which begs the question - how did the 195cm 95kg powerhouse we now see playing slide through an entire draft, then get past the first six picks in the rookie draft?
And the answer is no one got to see him play in his draft year because the pandemic shut and junior footy down.
A recruiter this week, asked if he had seen Treacy play before his draft year, said he had. When asked what he saw, he said that it was some of what we see now.
“He played for Bendigo versus the Western Jets at Mars Stadium. He was best on ground by a mile. He led hard and strong, and kicked four goals.”
That was Treacy’s bottom age year - 17. The recruiter remembered and made a note to himself that he was big for 17 and it would be worth watching how he progressed as an 18-year old.
Another said he impressed him as a 16-year old because of how well he moved for his size - again - keep a watch on him. But when Treacy’s draft year came around no-one got to see him.

AFL COLEMAN LEADERS​

1.Charlie CurnowCARL53
2.Jesse HoganGWS49
3.Ben KingGC45
4.Harry McKayCARL44
5.Jake WatermanWC41
6.JOSH TREACYFREM39

“As an 18-year old when they take footy away from you as happened with COVID. It felt like the world was going to end. We soldiered on. The draft night wasn’t a memorable night but the next morning was,” Treacy said.
When the 2020 draft came around at the end of the 2020 season, Treacy and his family did not make a big occasion out of watching the event on television. He had a feeling that if his bottom age year was all recruiters had to go on, it wasn’t going to be enough.
“Deep down I probably knew I wasn’t going to go anywhere. It was a pretty emotional night. I might not have shown much emotion but it was a pretty tough pill to swallow.”
The next morning his mum decided to track the rookie draft on her computer while Treacy sat quietly in another room. He heard her squeal - and then the phone rang.
“The next few hours were a bit of a blur,” he said.
He still can’t remember who from Fremantle was on the phone but reckons it must have been then football manager Peter Bell.
He has looked like one of the great draft bargains from day one: He kicked a bag of goals on pre-season debut for Peel but also got himself reported and suspended. He kicked another bag on his return and ended up playing 15 games of AFL in his debut season for 13 goals.
He battled injury and an interrupted pre-season in a four-game second season, then managed 17 games for 15 goals as a 20-year old in his third.
He was, at that point, expected to be the support cast for Amiss. This year he has become the main act.

“I don't think a heap (has changed),” he says. “It is probably just a lot of confidence to be honest. The ability to back myself and be backed in by others has played a huge part. My impact is valued greatly within these four walls.”
“I have learned to be a bit smarter on where to run and how to use my body.”
Victoria’s COVID shutdown turned recruiting that year into educated guesswork and the Dockers scouts were smart enough to see and remember the early promise.
“It is five or six years ago now. I think my physicality and competitiveness has always been there. My ability to hit the scoreboard as well. I may have shown a glimpse of something in my bottom aged year that was enough.”
Treacy remembers the Dockers being one of a few clubs that wanted more than one chat with him in his draft year.
“My family and I were writing a story in our heads that they might have been more excited but it is hard to know whether they actually were,” he said.
“I wouldn’t change any of it because if I hadn’t gone through what I had I wouldn’t be in this position at the moment.”

There is a dual narrative playing out at Fremantle at the moment. There is what they might do in the next two months - they are fourth at the moment. And there is the upside that lies ahead for a group that fielded the youngest team in the AFL the weekend they beat Sydney at the SCG.
“I feel like we have it in a pretty good spot but I also feel we have so much growth still to have in that area,” Treacy said.
But he also stressed the now “comes first”.
“Focus on the position we are in now rather than worrying about what is to come. It is clearly an exciting position for the football club, where we are right now but we understand there is a lot of hard work coming up,” he said.
Treacy is 54 games into his career now and a lot of stuff about AFL footy is just starting to make sense to him.
“You run on emotion a lot as a young guy coming in. You are just so excited to be playing AFL footy and sometimes you forget to do the things I am starting to do now,” he said.
“I have always prided myself on being a good kick and not just a kick for goals but a really good field kick as well. I feel like that plays a big part in my game.”
Always rated Treacy higher than Amiss. Watched him play those early games and was very impressive and knew once he got more strength into him he would be a key target .

Amiss will improve but he will never be the bustling Forward like Treacy. But together they will be great

Must sign them both for long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back