2024 Membership Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve always had a Melbourne membership, which gave me all games at Melbourne (MCG and Docklands), plus 3 at Kardinia Park. I’ve also had the Premiership add-on, which I started in 2008, after missing out on the 2007 GF ballot, and forking out for a corporate package to attend the Grand Final that year.

This year, my membership renewal defaulted to a Home membership plus Premiership add-on, which gives all home in Victoria, at KP and MCG, as well as priority 1 for the GF. However, I rarely make it down to Kardinia Park to attend games, and am also already an MCC restricted member, so don’t need access to the MCG games. So I’ve down-graded to the Flexi6 membership, so that I can still go to the odd game in Geelong, and also still have the Premiership add-on for priority 1 GF tickets.

So I can see my invoice when I log into my account but have still not received a “renewal notice” by email. Is that still a thing? Is this normal?
I saw my invoice on Thursday night at stupid o'clock, and then got an email the next day

Doesn't sound right that nothing's been sent - unless you've asked for no contact? 🤷‍♂️

I saw my invoice on Thursday night at stupid o'clock, and then got an email the next day

Doesn't sound right that nothing's been sent - unless you've asked for no contact? 🤷‍♂️
Just checked all my contact details but noticed I didn’t get the Sam Simpson contract email either. Will call the club tomorrow if nothing shows up.

The "members choice" option is really disappointing. A $20 Cats Shop voucher is pretty ordinary.

This is especially poor for the rural and interstate members - partially because shipping will eat most of the $20 voucher anyway, and partially because most of those members won't get to use the full quota of games on their membership regardless, so the paraphernalia is half the value. I can't see many interstate members being in Geelong/Melbourne for three home games across the year.

At least this year you can sign up for Grand Final Guarantee off those memberships.

Interstate membership has always been awful. I made a complaint about a decade ago and things have only got worse. I just see it as a donation now, I’ve never reaped any benefit from it.

Interstate membership has always been awful. I made a complaint about a decade ago and things have only got worse. I just see it as a donation now, I’ve never reaped any benefit from it.
I reached out to the club, and they had the following response:
  • In previous years, interstate members had discounted access to a ticket in their home state, now the ticket is FOC
  • There will be no postage fee if you pick a 2023 Membership Cap or Scarf
Which is less crap than it was. And at least this year I can also buy the GF guarantee with it from the off.

• In previous years, interstate members had discounted access to a ticket in their home state, now the ticket is FOC
Which is less crap than it was. And at least this year I can also buy the GF guarantee with it from the off.

Nice, one free game for $120 haha. No that is at least an improvement.

So I may be off base here..
- the member choice used to be part of the membership costs I thought and you’d get a gift shop voucher as well.

Now the voucher is less… and the member item costs actual money now as well!?!
I know shipping has always been paid by me

And as for the digital… it used to include the years worth of streaming games access and now that’s gone too!?!

Happy to be corrected in all these but * me that’s stripping a lot away for not a lot of return.

Go Catters
You are not missing anything. You get less and you pay more.

Where is this cap or scarf stuff coming from? It's directly contrary to what is on the website here:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I first took out my membership over a decade ago, we had the choice of member item: hat, scarf or 3rd item which changed each season. I remember they had options like a roll up blanket, USB stick, beanie etc

On top of that, members would get a 10% discount on purchases at the Cats Shop, but there was no actual voucher

3 or 4 years ago they made the third members choice item a $20 Cats Shop voucher, which could be used alongside your member discount on your choice of item/s from the Cats Shop

They've subsequently given the option to donate the $20 back to the club - not sure how many select though

The last couple of years have seen the voucher become the default choice if you didn't select a different option, as they still had the hat or scarf as options at the time of membership purchase or renewal. If you received the voucher, you could still get the members hat or scarf, you'd just exchange it for the members item and only pay for postage if required - is the option they've gone for this year

So if you want a new guernsey you get your 10% member discount & $20 off, or you can exchange the voucher for one of the members items

As for the Digital Membership, it looks misbranded but I understand the idea behind it. 'Supporter Membership' would likely have been a better name, and is what other sporting clubs call it - basically, the idea of it is for those who are unable to attend matches but still want to be an official member - still get the off-field member perks but no match access included. It can also be good for those who won't be in a position to attend the upcoming season and want to keep their membership active without paying the additional cost for something they can't use
I'm honestly not sure where you're getting this from. This is what the club website says right here:

Members looking for the traditional member scarf or cap can select the $20 Cats Shop voucher towards the purchase of these items.

Nowhere does it say you can simply exchange the voucher for an actual scarf or beanie - and the cheapest scarf is $35 while the only currently available beanie is $45.

Can you link to something that actually clearly states that it's a straight swap, voucher for scarf?

Just checked all my contact details but noticed I didn’t get the Sam Simpson contract email either. Will call the club tomorrow if nothing shows up.
FWIW apparently I "opted out of club communications" in my sleep, because I suddenly stopped receiving anything too. I had to contact them about this and explain (about 5 times) that I never opted out, and eventually they restored it. If it's happened to you too then it sounds like an error on the club's part with at least a subset of members, which the club will have to fix for you.

I'm honestly not sure where you're getting this from. This is what the club website says right here:

Nowhere does it say you can simply exchange the voucher for an actual scarf or beanie - and the cheapest scarf is $35 while the only currently available beanie is $45.

Can you link to something that actually clearly states that it's a straight swap, voucher for scarf?

Taken from the link included in your post:

Live locally? You can select the $20 Cats Shop Voucher and exchange for a Member Cap or Member Scarf in person at the Cats Shop for no postage fee.

Do I have to pay for shipping?
Yes, if you purchase a Membership Cap & Scarf with your voucher through the Cats Shop online, you will see this fee when you head to the checkout.

Can I collect my item from the Cats Shop?
Yes. You can select the $20 Voucher and exchange for a Cap or Scarf in the Cats Shop for no postage fee.

It has been excruciating dealing with the club on this. After phone calls and emails being assured they had sent it I got nothing. Finally got an invoice only today.

Was there anything more than an invoice? Surely there was information about dates and deadlines and options etc. ?

It has been excruciating dealing with the club on this. After phone calls and emails being assured they had sent it I got nothing. Finally got an invoice only today.

Was there anything more than an invoice? Surely there was information about dates and deadlines and options etc. ?

I found there to be minimal additional info in the renewal email, and the invoice was the key stuff:

2023 MEMBERSHIP

Dear M,

What a year it has been for the Geelong Cats!

The 2022 AFL Premiership, two AFLW seasons with our women’s looking strong heading into season 7 finals and together we've raised over 1 million dollars for our Geelong Cats community programs.

All this could not have been achieved without your loyal support, our 71,943 record breaking members!

The countdown begins now for 2023 and it is time to fill the stands, bring the noise and cheer on our Geelong Cats.

Your Membership Details:
"Invoice Details"

WHAT'S NEXT?
If you are not making changes to your product or payment details for 2023 your membership will automatically renew with Easy Pay on Monday 5 December. If you are considering other membership options or would like to opt out of Easy Pay contact membership services by Monday 28 November.

I found there to be minimal additional info in the renewal email, and the invoice was the key stuff:

2023 MEMBERSHIP

Dear M,

The 2022 AFL Premiership, two AFLW seasons with our women’s looking strong heading into season 7 finals and together we've raised over 1 million dollars for our Geelong Cats community programs.

All this could not have been achieved without your loyal support, our 71,943 record breaking members!

The countdown begins now for 2023 and it is time to fill the stands, bring the noise and cheer on our Geelong Cats.

Your Membership Details:
"Invoice Details"

WHAT'S NEXT?
If you are not making changes to your product or payment details for 2023 your membership will automatically renew with Easy Pay on Monday 5 December. If you are considering other membership options or would like to opt out of Easy Pay contact membership services by Monday 28 November.
Yep!

This is what I received a week or so ago.

Underneath the "Your Membership Details" was a summary. And underneath that "View Invoice" you could click on the invoice.

LlfJaFQ.jpg

Yep!

This is what I received a week or so ago.

Underneath the "Your Membership Details" was a summary. And underneath that "View Invoice" you could click on the invoice.

LlfJaFQ.jpg
Cheers for the screenshot - I was going to do that but didn't want to play around with trying to block out my name on my phone

2023 MEMBERSHIP

Dear M,

Your Membership Details:
"Invoice Details"

WHAT'S NEXT?
Thanks for that. Maybe I’m misremembering but I thought there used to be a renewal notice that had all the details of your package and the key dates etc.

Oh well, I will just cough up i guess!

Thanks for that. Maybe I’m misremembering but I thought there used to be a renewal notice that had all the details of your package and the key dates etc.

Oh well, I will just cough up i guess!

Nah, you're not misremembering

The renewal emails were definitely better like a decade ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a system change or something in recent years because even the members hub isn't the most user friendly

Nah, you're not misremembering

The renewal emails were definitely better like a decade ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a system change or something in recent years because even the members hub isn't the most user friendly
It’s pretty poor. Not even a schedule of when payments will be due!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back