List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Noble, Newcombe, Durham and Pickett suggest otherwise.

I’d argue we have a few times now, with Noble, AJ and now Long all being mature age recruits who could step in almost immediately after being drafted.
yeah my bad. I didn’t really state my point very welll!!
Poorly written on my behalf.

Wasn’t taking about mature age players.

Just that no one has taken the “break glass” option in the MSD….which is what the media and AFL spruiked it for.

Expect the same to happen with Mid season trading….despite the fact it will be promoted as a “break glass” situation.

Noble, Newcombe, Durham and Pickett suggest otherwise.

Really?

Noble - 2018 MSD debuted R17 2019
Newcombe - 2020 MSD debuted R13 2021
Durham - 2020 MSD debuted R18 2021
Pickett - 2018 MSD debuted 2018 GF, the only 1 who played in his draft year.

Surely all of those selections were about longer term.

Really?

Noble - 2018 MSD debuted R17 2019
Newcombe - 2020 MSD debuted R13 2021
Durham - 2020 MSD debuted R18 2021
Pickett - 2018 MSD debuted 2018 GF, the only 1 who played in his draft year.

Surely all of those selections were about longer term.
The year of those drafts is off (by one year)! If you just looked at Draftguru, for some reason they're all wrongly named e.g. this one: https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2018/midseason_draft
The site calls it the 2018 AFL Mid-Season Draft, but it happened a year later!

John Noble debuted for Collingwood only a few weeks after we selected him (in 2019), and Marlion Pickett wasn't picked up in 2018, it was 2019, and that year's Grand Final when he debuted. There wasn't an MSD in 2020, and Durham and Newcombe were picked up in the middle of 2021.

The year of those drafts is off (by one year)! If you just looked at Draftguru, for some reason they're all wrongly named e.g. this one: https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2018/midseason_draft
The site calls it the 2018 AFL Mid-Season Draft, but it happened a year later!

John Noble debuted for Collingwood only a few weeks after we selected him (in 2019), and Marlion Pickett wasn't picked up in 2018, it was 2019, and that year's Grand Final when he debuted. There wasn't an MSD in 2020, and Durham and Newcombe were picked up in the middle of 2021.

That makes more sense. Still think all of those players were largely selected with a longer term view.

That makes more sense. Still think all of those players were largely selected with a longer term view.
I absolutely agree with that. I think a large percentage of the players selected would be in that category (players the clubs expected to be on their lists for years to come). Almost certainly 100% of those Collingwood have picked up in the MSD over the last few years would be. Even if it's correct that Ned Long only nominated a 6-month contract I doubt we'd be seriously considering axing him at the end of the season if he doesn't perform well enough. Smit is one they'll be prepared to give plenty of time to, and I think the approach our club has had all along towards this draft is the best one. We probably could have found a reasonable standard mature ruckman playing state league football and put him on the list for 6 months, but I wasn't keen on us doing that.

Last edited:
I just can't help but feel Saad El-Hawli is who we should have grabbed first pick.

I think rucks are generally gettable from other teams
We went for best available to who was available, and this kid was the top of our list.
Saad probably not exactly a need. And while a longer term option, talent first. I'm perfectly happy with the choices we made given who we available.

Last few years clubs generally have targeted rucks in MSD. You can get them for free basically wiithout trading any ND picks.

Last edited:
We went for best available to who was available, and this kid was the top of our list.
Saad probably not exactly a need. And while a longer term option, talent first. I'm perfectly happy with the choices we made given who we available.

Last few years clubs generally have targeted rucks in MSD. You can get them for free basically wiithout trading any ND picks.
Smit looks to have great potential.
For his age, he looks unusually coordinated and agile, if his highlights are anything to go by.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back