List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, he can play immediately and in multiple positions, and already has AFL experience. Good plug & play option given we are dropping like flies

Immediately in two weeks.

Immediately by our standards

giphy.gif

Long is not fast and his kicking can be a bit dodgy, but he is good by hand, big, strong and a tackling machine.
A former Hawk to replace another former Hawk?
We certainly need another big body in there.

From his highlights Smit has good speed for his size and good tapping, marking and kicking.
Shows a bit of aggression, too.
I like the look of him.
Welcome young fella!

I think what stood out for me in the highlights is his reading of the fall of the ball in the hitouts.

Bolded has shown to be patently untrue.
The entire concept of “help now” has proven be a bust. No team has done that to date.

Every team has use MSD to pick for the future.
Suspect it’s because of 18 months contracts.
Picking someone now limits what you can do at end of year (when majority of contracts expire).

No team has drafted for now.

Noble, Newcombe, Durham and Pickett suggest otherwise.

Not if it’s 6 months.
Where was that written that it’s 6 months?
If true makes sense as to why we took him at 19.

6 months is nothing about long term.
That is “this year only”. Absolutely not long term.
He has 6 months to change our minds.

Maybe he’s our marlen picket Basil brush this year.
But 6 months says short term and immediate coverage. Nothing about long term.
6 months says you have a chance, get a game, make it count.

I like the club drafting from their VFL side. It rewards players in the club and gives hope to others and the end result is a stronger VFL team which helps the seniors.
Totally, It would attract talent to our VFL knowing there is a chance of seriously being looked at.

I look forward to these guys running out at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally, It would attract talent to our VFL knowing there is a chance of seriously being looked at.

I look forward to these guys running out at some point.

Exactly and especially knowing we have now taken two players from our vfl side in the last 12 months. Eyre. Now Long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes 6 months, but given he just turned 21 a few months ago, we would see a longer term future. Even if he is a mature ager.
Not necessarily. I think with Long he’s a player for now given the injuries to veterans. If he improves or shows form at AFL level, then those discussions become longer.

Not necessarily. I think with Long he’s a player for now given the injuries to veterans. If he improves or shows form at AFL level, then those discussions become longer.

I’m think they had an eye on taking him for some time. Injuries or not
Even the injuries are short term and he too is injured for a couple weeks

Bolded has shown to be patently untrue.
The entire concept of “help now” has proven be a bust. No team has done that to date.

Every team has use MSD to pick for the future.
Suspect it’s because of 18 months contracts.
Picking someone now limits what you can do at end of year (when majority of contracts expire).

No team has drafted for now.
I’d argue we have a few times now, with Noble, AJ and now Long all being mature age recruits who could step in almost immediately after being drafted.

We didn’t need to give him a longer term, we will need some flexibility, if he’s good enough we will retain him.

Tough caper this AFL and he’s taken the next step and pretty sure he’s better off today than this time yesterday.

I must say, I wasn't overly enthused about us taking him, even with the obvious reasons for the link. I hope he goes well, but it's clear that our coaches don't see it.
Leppa and Bolts have been working with list management whilst Wright is taking his sabbatical so extra insight there.

I was really enthused by our drafting strategy until I watched Dekker’s video
I thought we’d been really clever in targeting a pure ruck to develop alongside Steene and then heard…”he was at the top of our list”… of remaining players
Lucky he was there otherwise we’d be discussing a different selection and approach inconsistent w the drafting Roo

Which is what I found frustrating about the 2024 ND
After taking McMahon a few years ago as a “needs pick”…then only giving him 2 years to develop, we could have taken Morris (a guy they were going to trade up for if he made it past Brions) then taken Payne late in the draft - a guy w speed that plays like Haz, and a bit bigger

I wonder if “top of the board” is our default or if we have the ability to pivot based on needs / who is available?

Wish him the best. But it was clear we were never taking him with our first pick with dekka saying ilro being the top of our list when our turn came

Given we spoke to him around the Freo game I’d say it’s more we were interested, but had others ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back