Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen anything mentioned on here about it and could come into play regarding North trading their F1 for picks is LDU being a RFA in 2025. If he was to accept an offer from another club next year then their compensation would only be a 2nd Round pick if they have traded out their F1st this year. So if he does go to another club you would be entitled to a Band 1 compensation, but it could end up being pick 30 or so. I'm sure Rawlings would have to consider this as something that could happen.
You would have to be some special sort of f*ckwit to think this is how free agency compensation actually works. By the method you outlined, a top team who was about to lose a gun player to free agency that would receive band 1 compo could trade with the bottom team for the #1 pick, and then get pick #2 as compensation. Yeah, it don't work like that.

See I think this is were we disagree.

At 7 we are going to land someone we want.

Similar at 8 or we turn it into multiple players of the tier 2 calibre.

It’s evident you guys want another pick in the first round. But you have very limited options.

I think we both agree that Your F1 is likely a top 6 pick next year. It doesn’t seem good value to part with that for pick 14+ in this draft. As Twomey said last week, F1s just aren’t as valuable when being traded into this years draft.

But our future first for those same picks in the Vicinity of p14 is much better value for you then burning yours. Ours could be p5 or p12 next year. (Then you add on the academy picks and father sons and you end up getting a poorer talent)

So really, the whip hand isn’t going to lie with you blokes and it seems very unlikely you are holding p2 (**** imagine if you did and took Tauru anyway 😂) because you want more of this years first round quality and you can move into the draft and grab the bloke rising in similar fashion to Bont or Oliver late on or the most consistent tall in the class.

If this draft class had Reid and Sheezel as the top 2 picks. You would be getting a bounty and every clubs next father sons. But the way this draft is shaping up - it’s that even that clubs won’t bend to your demands.
I don't mind the 8 +f1 trade but I'd try and get 47 out of you guys also.
Slightly improve our second pick.

Having real trouble splitting the top 5 or 6. All have various different attributes that stand out and we could use.

Jagga - Stoppage craft, ball winner, elite decisions & footy IQ, endurance (6:27 2km), agile in traffic, professional, one-paced?, scoreboard impact? 180cm slight frame?

FOS - class, elite speed (2.99s 20m), endurance (6:28 2km), agility (8.12s), RVJ (93cm), defensive pressure, kicks goals, 20m Cunners-like handballs/vision, competitor, agile, good overhead, Accumulation? 180cm frame?

Lalor - Powerful, explosive, competitive, physical, tackling, strong mark, kicks goals, Endurance? Kicking efficiency?

Draper - Speed, professional/driven, competitive, leadership, agility, metres gained, tackling, damage? 180cm frame?

Langford - 190cm versatile (hbf/mid/fwd), consistent performer, courageous, competitor, gun runner (6:24 2km), relisient (worked harder when he didn't make u16's Vic C team), One-paced? Kicking efficiency?

Smilie - 194cm mid/fwd, clean hands, scoreboard impact, top 10 SV Jump, 6:38 2km, 3.09s 20m, kicking efficiency (woeful in champs)?, defensive and general intensity in the contest?

Last edited:

I haven't seen anything mentioned on here about it and could come into play regarding North trading their F1 for picks is LDU being a RFA in 2025. If he was to accept an offer from another club next year then their compensation would only be a 2nd Round pick if they have traded out their F1st this year. So if he does go to another club you would be entitled to a Band 1 compensation, but it could end up being pick 30 or so. I'm sure Rawlings would have to consider this as something that could happen.
No we tend to know what we’re talking about in these parts.

I don't believe we are "demanding" anything though......All Brady has said is "We will look at sliding back a couple of spots".
Personally, I think our midfield isn't set yet, so FOS or Lalor both are very appealing to me. Not a chance we would take Tauru at 2, I think we like him for a teens pick, hence the dangling of F1.

Let's also remember what Twomey's job is.......that is to talk up the draft, generate clicks and get people interested in his phantom etc etc.
I like Twomey, but I'm not basing who I like on who he does......be like taking Shifter Sheahan's thoughts on every player as gospel......"Gee I like this boy, he's a steal at pick 56, a lot of similarities to Nat Fyfe!"

I'm not saying none of the proposed deals won't happen, but there is so much to play out here, I just don't see how North's under the pressure you suggest.

For all we know there is already an "in-principal" deal in place and it's all being stage managed by the AFL. It's cool though to talk and read about.
a/ Cal is normally pretty spot on with his phantom draft.....genuine inside word? clubs using him as a go between? or an example of mosaic theory in action.
b/ I think you may be right, with delistings, and I suspect Cooper got a reprieve via Sleevo's retirement. Not much discussion re DFA's so it would seem an agreement of sorts has already been reached if making room on the list.

I don't believe we are "demanding" anything though......All Brady has said is "We will look at sliding back a couple of spots".
Personally, I think our midfield isn't set yet, so FOS or Lalor both are very appealing to me. Not a chance we would take Tauru at 2, I think we like him for a teens pick, hence the dangling of F1.

Let's also remember what Twomey's job is.......that is to talk up the draft, generate clicks and get people interested in his phantom etc etc.
I like Twomey, but I'm not basing who I like on who he does......be like taking Shifter Sheahan's thoughts on every player as gospel......"Gee I like this boy, he's a steal at pick 56, a lot of similarities to Nat Fyfe!"

I'm not saying none of the proposed deals won't happen, but there is so much to play out here, I just don't see how North's under the pressure you suggest.

For all we know there is already an "in-principal" deal in place and it's all being stage managed by the AFL. It's cool though to talk and read about.
Nothing surer than North taking FOS or Lalor at 2 if we don't split the pick.

This would set up our midfield for years to come.

Tiger supporters are delusional if they think we will pick the Viking at 2 and therefore allowing an extra quality mid to be available at 6.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Lol. You really know SFA about how compensation for Free Agency works.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

a/ Cal is normally pretty spot on with his phantom draft.....genuine inside word? clubs using him as a go between? or an example of mosaic theory in action.
b/ I think you may be right, with delistings, and I suspect Cooper got a reprieve via Sleevo's retirement. Not much discussion re DFA's so it would seem an agreement of sorts has already been reached if making room on the list.
He ends up spot on the day or so before. Not 3 weeks out generally. Things change a lot between now and end November.

Reckon something has been agreed to for sure. I’m suss anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta love these Aints/Tuggers supporters coming in here talking like they know all the outcomes and value of our 'worthless' pick 2.

I will lmfao if we pick the best player in the draft while they quibble over a couple of shitty picks outside the 'elite' zone...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back