Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

80,156 at NRL Grand Final

IMG_6342.jpeg

I’m intrigued, what other countries get crowds of over 80,000 consistently to the grand final of two different domestic leagues.

Last edited:

NRL grand final should have big ratings, with a high quality match between two strong teams and a close result.

Huh ? A replay between two teams nobody really cares about so much so that it wasn't a sellout.
You have a strange idea of close result.
Definitely not a world event.

Huh ? A replay between two teams nobody really cares about so much so that it wasn't a sellout.
You have a strange idea of close result.
Definitely not a world event.
I never said NRL grand final was a world event. Replay? Last year it was Penrith vs Broncos. Clearly you have very little idea of the sport. I am for one happy to follow both codes. Both AFL and NRL will grow and prosper.

I never said NRL grand final was a world event.

You seemed to be interested in what constitutes "world events".

Last year it was Penrith vs Broncos.

And i didn't say last year's replay.

Clearly you have very little idea of the sport.

You confuse "interest" with "idea".
I am for one happy to follow both codes. Both AFL and NRL will grow and prosper.

Good for you.
A very long time ago I proposed that we should move to have combined sporting clubs rather than individual football clubs
especially in regional and amateur areas.
Nobody and I repeat nobody thought that idea had merit.

Saturday #AuSportTV
NRL Grand Final Average 3.422m
inc BVOD 762,000
\Reach5.349m

Postmatch 1.658m (Rch 3.755m)
Entertainment 1.744m (Rch 3.571m)

NRL Womens Grand Final Average 691,000
inc BVOD 101,000

NRLW GF Post 820,000 (rch 1.393m)
Prematch 447,000 (rch 837,000)

State Championship 353,000 (rch 861,000)

Data: VOZ

View attachment 2133700

I’m intrigued, what other countries get crowds of over 80,000 consistently to the grand final of two different domestic leagues.
I think it would be tainted though wouldn't it? Isnt Australia kind of unique in the fact that all of our major sports have a championship game? Isnt the premier league just a "top of the table wins" type deal?

Off the top of my head though, I would have to imagine that the US would with NFL and Baseball?

I don't know if it still stands but Melbourne held the record baseball crowd at 80k for the 1956 Olympics.

n 2008, the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum hosted an exhibition game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Boston Red Sox in front of a crowd of 115,300, setting a Guinness World Record for the largest attendance ever at a baseball

I think it would be tainted though wouldn't it? Isnt Australia kind of unique in the fact that all of our major sports have a championship game? Isnt the premier league just a "top of the table wins" type deal?

Off the top of my head though, I would have to imagine that the US would with NFL and Baseball?

IPL final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2133700

French Top 14 (rugby union) and the French domestic cup finals in soccer probably both draw 80K at the Stade de France.

The Gallagher Premiership final (rugby union) draws around 80K to Twickenham while the two domestic cup finals at Wembley for soccer draw over 80K.

French Top 14 (rugby union) and the French domestic cup finals in soccer probably both draw 80K at the Stade de France.

The Gallagher Premiership final (rugby union) draws around 80K to Twickenham while the two domestic cup finals at Wembley for soccer draw over 80K.

Basically most countries with more than 1 big sport and a stadium of a decent size. I can assure you that all grand finals in big sports across the world sellout though and tickets are highly sort after, except for the nrl grand final.

Basically most countries with more than 1 big sport and a stadium of a decent size. I can assure you that all grand finals in big sports across the world sellout though and tickets are highly sort after, except for the nrl grand final.
Yep.

the MLS Cup Final (ie their grand final) sells out every year.

Debatable if it would sell out at a netural venue but they've maxed out NFL stadiums in recent years e.g.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup_2018

Yep.

the MLS Cup Final (ie their grand final) sells out every year.

Debatable if it would sell out at a netural venue but they've maxed out NFL stadiums in recent years e.g.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup_2018

The u.s have heaps actually, not only NFL, MLB, NBA+NHL (would sell 50x over due to the stadiums only being around 20k) and MLS, but then you've gotta include all the college sports, particular American football ones.

They have the rose bowl, this bowl, that bowl, they get huge crowds to those finals too.

1728288421295.png
  • The NRL Grand Final dominated Sunday night viewing achieving an average audience across Total TV of 3.422 Million (up 0.3% year-on-year). This is the highest Total TV Audience for an NRL Grand Final since 2022. It achieved a National Total TV Reach of 5.349 Million.
  • The NRL Grand Final has recorded the highest ever BVOD Audience for a NRL Grand Final at 762,000. This is an increase of 26% year-on-year.
  • The NRLW Grand Final recorded the highest ever BVOD Audience for Women’s Grand Final at 101,000. This is an increase of 15% year-on-year. It achieved a National Total TV Reach of 1.452 million and a Total TV National Audience of 691,000.
  • 9News was the No. 1 news bulletin in Australia with Total People, People 25-54 and People 16-39. The combined national bulletins achieved a National Total TV Reach of 1.814 million and a Total TV National Audience of 1.219 million. On 9Now, its BVOD Audience of 160,000.
  • The 9Network was the No. 1 Network across the 5 City Metro on Sunday with all key demos and Total People
  • 9Now was the No. 1 CFTA BVOD platform on Sunday with all key demos and Total People

1728288373862.png

Not according to Wiki.
A liitle surprising is Ireland wit 82k for both Gaelic Football and Hurling.
Surprising omission is NFL bowl played at a lesser stadium.

Back in the halcyon days of the International Rules series, it had over 80k at Croake Park. Of coarse the powers that be decided to degrade the quality of the series by picking inferior sides and killed off what was a hugely popular event for a time.

Back in the halcyon days of the International Rules series, it had over 80k at Croake Park. Of coarse the powers that be decided to degrade the quality of the series by picking inferior sides and killed off what was a hugely popular event for a time.
The changing AFL media and fan landscape was always going to influence it though.

We can't say that the disinterest in international rules over time is significantly different than the growing disinterest in pre-season football over the same period of time, for instance, the same factors influenced both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back