2024 Offseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Knowledgable posters of basketball.

I invite you to contribute and enjoy the basketball during and in the

2024 Paris Olympic Games basketball thread (XXXIII Olympiad)

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dannnnnnnnnn - sounds like it's a bum's rush to get to the Eastern Conference.

If two teams are added in the West, what will happen to the conferences?

Presuming the two new teams are awarded to Seattle and Las Vegas, they would both land in the Western Conference. That would mean there would be 15 teams in the East and 17 teams in the West, necessitating one shifting from West to East to balance things out.

This will likely come down to a decision among three teams: the Minnesota Timberwolves, New Orleans Pelicans and Memphis Grizzlies. The Pelicans and Grizzlies are the easternmost teams in the Western Conference, but they also are short flights from several Western Conference opponents (each other, all three Texas teams and the Thunder).

Minnesota, meanwhile, is a little farther west but is far more geographically isolated. The Timberwolves' closest Western Conference opponent, by air miles, is the Denver Nuggets (680 miles). By comparison, Minnesota has five East cities (Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis, Detroit and Cleveland) that are shorter trips than that, plus a sixth (Toronto) that is the exact same distance.

It would likely be a protracted fight to determine who would move east, but those facts seem to make Minnesota the most logical choice.

images

Robinson out until December/January. Knicks letting Hartenstein go looking shaky

Precious will need to start and very little backup behind him. OG has done it a bit but the bigger guys will dominate

A mate of mine thinks Knicks will trade for Kessler, I guess it makes sense but surely it'd happen by now if it was going to. They need to reasonably quickly

Robinson out until December/January. Knicks letting Hartenstein go looking shaky

Precious will need to start and very little backup behind him. OG has done it a bit but the bigger guys will dominate

A mate of mine thinks Knicks will trade for Kessler, I guess it makes sense but surely it'd happen by now if it was going to. They need to reasonably quickly

Question about Hartenstein was whether he'd back up well after last seasons efforts or not. I guess we will never know. There is a gaping hole at centre...and that maybe filled with a little randle

Question about Hartenstein was whether he'd back up well after last seasons efforts or not. I guess we will never know. There is a gaping hole at centre...and that maybe filled with a little randle
I can't see Randle playing it that well but someone is going to have to! I hope the Kessler rumour is true, I rate him more than Utah seem to

Was out of their hands.

The most they were permitted to offer was 4/72. OKC blew that out of the water.
Just not replacing it, a giant hole in that position now. Brunson/Donte/Hart/OG/Bridges/Randle is great but there's a massive issue there they haven't addressed. I'm sure they will but seemingly put all the eggs in the MRob basket and he's always injured

Just not replacing it, a giant hole in that position now. Brunson/Donte/Hart/OG/Bridges/Randle is great but there's a massive issue there they haven't addressed. I'm sure they will but seemingly put all the eggs in the MRob basket and he's always injured

Opportunity cost of the Bridges trade, I'm afraid, Sent all their expendable trade contracts and most of their draft capital to Brooklyn for that deal. They didn't have the cap room to replace Hartenstein if he walked, which he did, so it'd have to be via trade.

They might have figured they had a good chance of retaining Hartenstein when they pulled the trigger, although from memory there was a lot of conjecture that they were pessimistic. He almost played too well for them.

Other problem is this year's FA class was weak, particularly the bigs, so there wasn't much window to replace him cheaply with a stopgap solution. The Pels had the same problem, albeit we were replacing a centre who didn't fit, unlike Hartenstein - we ended up giving Dan Theis a min contract. The Knicks re-signed Achiuwa as their equivalent.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Offseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back