Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Report Wed 6/12

Small rehab group trained away from the main group. This included Steele, King & Owens. Steele & Owens ran laps. Both Owens & Steele looked in great physical condition and as mentioned on Monday, Owens looking awesome.

Others absent were Olly Hotton, who also ran laps. Hotton looks to have put on some significant size since being drafted and definitely has an AFL body. I guess the challenge is whether he has gotten over his back issues, but he tends to be one of the forgotten youngsters on our list.
Hayes & Van Ess walked past on their way to the pool. Hayes looked to me like he has trimmed down and was dwarfed by Van Ess who is a massive unit.
Also noticed that Hugo Garcia joined the man group half way through training and got involved with the main group. He definitely wasn't part of the rehab group (who were wearing red tops). Hopefully he is through the worst of his hamstring issues.

Today's drills focused once again on ball movement (skill execution). Started with 3 x groups all rotating through various drills with a focus on skill and ball movement. (Handballs & kicking).

The main drill was moving the ball out of defence with a focus on switching and providing overlap run. There was also a drill which focused on quick ball movement with the coaches emphasising outnumbering at the contest. Interestingly on one occasion someone didn't switch and instead went straight down the middle. He was quickly reminded by one of the coaches (I think it was Carroll) that he needed to follow the drill (ie, switch the ball).

I must say that the skill level today was much better than Monday. Perhaps that's because players were cooked after the 3km TT and skills were down due to fatigue.

I'm really excited about Darcy Wilson - he moves so gracefully and his skills are sublime. Quick, neat ball user and all of his disposals have 'purpose'. His handballs in particular are executed with a lot of vigour and always seem to hit the target. Arie Schoenmaker's kicking is a dead set weapon (he just needs to build a fitness base) but I wouldn't be surprised in he sneaks a couple of games towards the back end of the season. He has an AFL ready body - just needs an AFL tank as he seems to fatigue quickly.

Isaac Keeler another who moves gracefully. He was matched up against Max Heath and Keelers's athleticism really shone through.

Paddy Dow will be a great pick up. His skills today were excellent. He hit a lot of targets by foot and seems to have integrated well into the group. I really like Bonner - he's got great skills and I can se him playing off half back. He trained really well today. Liam Henry also stood out - he glides across the ground. His kicking is a bit hit and miss though. Nailed a few bullet passes, but also butchered a couple as well.

A few who didn't train included Higgins, Butler, Ross, Crouch, Hayes & Van Ess.

Overall, a really impressive hit out today. I'm really excited by our young group, but we need to give them time. Kudos to our recruiting team.

Serious size on Owens.

Few on here would be hard at the sight of those arms.

View attachment 1866857
Settle there Stav....!!!!!!!!!!!

It is only Wed arvo !!!!!!

Mitch was again today running laps........it may just be my imagination(I think I'm slowly losing the plot)but he looks bigger,stronger and taller.

As he was running past you think...."what an absolute unit"

Just cannot wait to see him in action next season.

Nas also looks taller as he's in line with Mitch as above.

Something in the Rsea Park water.......who knows.

Mitch was again today running laps........it may just be my imagination(I think I'm slowly losing the plot)but he looks bigger,stronger and taller.

Thought exactly the same about both on Monday Watto

As Chito ran past me (behind the goals at one point) I thought, what a speciman.

Naz was standing next to Wilks and is now the same height. Chito is the same as Wilks as well. Pou is taller and looks fitter through the core.
Windy is an absolute beast. Wilson, for a draftee has got some great definition in the upper body, although he is still very lean.
Some young blokes developing (physically at least) very nicely.

Will see if I can get down on Friday.

And how good is it seeing Tim back in the fray.........he was having a good laugh with several of the guys at the cafe.........he looked relaxed and very jovial.

On field last Friday he moved very well......looked sharp and in great nic.

When the boys were off …. Owens spent most of his break in the gym at Moorabbin and running laps.

Which is why his load is being managed now (see above training report)

He usually trains with Windy. Was coming in on his own.

Pou similar but in SA. Went back and saw family.

We haven’t had standard setters like this in a long time.

Should also include windy.

Training Report Wed 6/12

Small rehab group trained away from the main group. This included Steele, King & Owens. Steele & Owens ran laps. Both Owens & Steele looked in great physical condition and as mentioned on Monday, Owens looking awesome.

Others absent were Olly Hotton, who also ran laps. Hotton looks to have put on some significant size since being drafted and definitely has an AFL body. I guess the challenge is whether he has gotten over his back issues, but he tends to be one of the forgotten youngsters on our list.
Hayes & Van Ess walked past on their way to the pool. Hayes looked to me like he has trimmed down and was dwarfed by Van Ess who is a massive unit.
Also noticed that Hugo Garcia joined the man group half way through training and got involved with the main group. He definitely wasn't part of the rehab group (who were wearing red tops). Hopefully he is through the worst of his hamstring issues.

Today's drills focused once again on ball movement (skill execution). Started with 3 x groups all rotating through various drills with a focus on skill and ball movement. (Handballs & kicking).

The main drill was moving the ball out of defence with a focus on switching and providing overlap run. There was also a drill which focused on quick ball movement with the coaches emphasising outnumbering at the contest. Interestingly on one occasion someone didn't switch and instead went straight down the middle. He was quickly reminded by one of the coaches (I think it was Carroll) that he needed to follow the drill (ie, switch the ball).

I must say that the skill level today was much better than Monday. Perhaps that's because players were cooked after the 3km TT and skills were down due to fatigue.

I'm really excited about Darcy Wilson - he moves so gracefully and his skills are sublime. Quick, neat ball user and all of his disposals have 'purpose'. His handballs in particular are executed with a lot of vigour and always seem to hit the target. Arie Schoenmaker's kicking is a dead set weapon (he just needs to build a fitness base) but I wouldn't be surprised in he sneaks a couple of games towards the back end of the season. He has an AFL ready body - just needs an AFL tank as he seems to fatigue quickly.

Isaac Keeler another who moves gracefully. He was matched up against Max Heath and Keelers's athleticism really shone through.

Paddy Dow will be a great pick up. His skills today were excellent. He hit a lot of targets by foot and seems to have integrated well into the group. I really like Bonner - he's got great skills and I can se him playing off half back. He trained really well today. Liam Henry also stood out - he glides across the ground. His kicking is a bit hit and miss though. Nailed a few bullet passes, but also butchered a couple as well.

A few who didn't train included Higgins, Butler, Ross, Crouch, Hayes & Van Ess.

Overall, a really impressive hit out today. I'm really excited by our young group, but we need to give them time. Kudos to our recruiting team.

Thanks for the report mate, really good stuff!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back