Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the kid but my comment regarding low possession high impact relates to his performance at senior level, both with us and limited senior level in SA.
His ceiling is very exciting, as is Mitch Owens but we just don’t know if they’re mids…time will tell!
very few under age players if any have massive quantity disposal impact in senior football. I think a better level to look at is quarter possession potential. Specifically I remember in the Collingwood game I think he had like 9 touches in the first Q and about 13/14 to the half before becoming tired.

- for him to get some easier footy, I think we'll start seeing him use his run to get kicks/marks not just contested possesions. Ie Nas/Sincs

How close is the Pou to signing a contract extension, Stavro? As a top ten draft pick was he automatically given a three year deal, or did that rule (1st rounders tied to 3 years for their first contract) only come in this year?

I'm a huge fan of the Pou. If you have any doubts about his form this year, take a look at his highlights package for 2023. I know he dropped off a bit towards the end of the year, no doubt due to a long, 24 game season, but his first half of the year was exciting and productive, especially for one so young.

I hope the club is looking at signing him to a King-like deal. Same for for Windy, Mitchito and Nas. The "Fabulous 5", as I call them, are the future and it would be a significant blow to lose any of them. They are the core of our next Premiership.

NAS, Pou and Lance are all potential "flight/return home" risks. All are players with that special "X" factor we have lacked for so long.

We have a good record as far as player retention goes. Let's hope our CEO, coaches and relevant support staff are doing there utmost to secure them, the sooner the better.

No doubt the SA clubs will come hard for Nas and the Pou if and when they fall out of contract. The same for Lance with WCE, if their histrionic and bitter response to us "pinching" him from them is any indication. The WC somehow had the belief he was theirs because he spent time in their NGA. Welcome to reality.
For easy reference

How close is the Pou to signing a contract extension, Stavro? As a top ten draft pick was he automatically given a three year deal, or did that rule (1st rounders tied to 3 years for their first contract) only come in this year?

I'm a huge fan of the Pou. If you have any doubts about his form this year, take a look at his highlights package for 2023. I know he dropped off a bit towards the end of the year, no doubt due to a long, 24 game season, but his first half of the year was exciting and productive, especially for one so young.

I hope the club is looking at signing him to a King-like deal. Same for for Windy, Mitchito and Nas. The "Fabulous 5", as I call them, are the future and it would be a significant blow to lose any of them. They are the core of our next Premiership.

NAS, Pou and Lance are all potential "flight/return home" risks. All are players with that special "X" factor we have lacked for so long.

We have a good record as far as player retention goes. Let's hope our CEO, coaches and relevant support staff are doing there utmost to secure them, the sooner the better.

No doubt the SA clubs will come hard for Nas and the Pou if and when they fall out of contract. The same for Lance with WCE, if their histrionic and bitter response to us "pinching" him from them is any indication. The WC somehow had the belief he was theirs because he spent time in their NGA. Welcome to reality.
I was told a few months ago that there was no concerns. (Posted this previously)

Haven’t heard anything yet to change that.

I will say this…. If he did want to go back home.

It would be for a kings ransom.

Far from low possession high impact mate. He was a genuine match winner who could get plenty of the pill.

His confidence spooked clubs - hence why the only other club serious about taking him ….. was Dodoros Essendon.

I’m not sure about next season.

But from 2025 onwards. Phillipou will be a mid. He is a point of difference. He has wheels power height and a fantastic left foot. If he has half the career a certain Bulldogs captain has, we will be chuffed.

Yeah, I think his only down side that I remember hearing was that he was a bit too cocky. As a Saints supporter hearing that someone didn't pull clumps of own their hair out through neurosis and sleep with the lights on made him more appealing.

There was talk he was going to Essendon at 5 or 6 or what ever they had and when they didn't take him left him to slip through to us. It was supposedly a toss of the coin for them. They took the very high possession outside player I guess because he had a very defined role already. I think some thought Phillpou might be a bit of a jack of all trades type without a speciality.

I was told a few months ago that there was no concerns. (Posted this previously)

Haven’t heard anything yet to change that.

I will say this…. If he did want to go back home.

It would be for a kings ransom.
Won’t be a kings ransom if he is uncontracted..
We would only likely get Adelaide’s first round pick.

For easy reference

When you watch his highlights, he's more Jeremy Cameron than Rooey. Rooey was a repeat hard worker that extracted every drop of his talent. He'd miss plenty of shots but he'd keep coming over and over until he broke sides open. I don't remember Rooey ever taking many full stretch overhead marks either. He was the most chest mark happy forward in history.

Phillipou looks like he has the kind of self belief that guys like Fev had.

For easy reference

I’ve been a bit critical of his speed off the mark and you always tend to focus on the negatives too much - apologies - what a highlights reel for an 18yo! Reminds me a bit of a left footed BJ in terms of attitude.

The lad clearly wants to be the best he can be and working under our coaching panel they will drive and encourage him. This kid could be elite in say 2025!

He is the future along with Owens, Windy, NAS etc and hopefully a few of the other young talents develop - we might have to go a bit backwards to go forward at times but medium term I’m extremely optimistic.

When you watch his highlights, he's more Jeremy Cameron than Rooey. Rooey was a repeat hard worker that extracted every drop of his talent. He'd miss plenty of shots but he'd keep coming over and over until he broke sides open. I don't remember Rooey ever taking many full stretch overhead marks either. He was the most chest mark happy forward in history.

Phillipou looks like he has the kind of self belief that guys like Fev had.
I think its the confidence in his set shot, the confidence to take the moment because he knows hes done the work. Its quite remarkable when you compare to say guys like King, Billings when they have gone through the yips with goal-kicking. Pou just seems so sure ofhis technique.

Yeah, I think his only down side that I remember hearing was that he was a bit too cocky. As a Saints supporter hearing that someone didn't pull clumps of own their hair out through neurosis and sleep with the lights on made him more appealing.

There was talk he was going to Essendon at 5 or 6 or what ever they had and when they didn't take him left him to slip through to us. It was supposedly a toss of the coin for them. They took the very high possession outside player I guess because he had a very defined role already. I think some thought Phillpou might be a bit of a jack of all trades type without a speciality.
We wanted Tsatas. High accumulation mid who runs all day and has line breaking speed.

Clearly evident aswell with our drafting since.

But it seems Pou might be the gift we needed. So I’m absolutely thrilled - especially as I and many others wanted him at that draft.

You would imagine clubs got spooked by your last point. What is his role at AFL level.

In NBA terms. He presents as a tweener. To big for the nimbler small forward/guard roles. To small for the Power forward/centre roles.

But his physical attributes are too hard to pass up and he has proven at every level he can rack up the ball and be insanely damaging.

Ross was throwing him into the centre mix in the second half of the year.

We wanted Tsatas. High accumulation mid who runs all day and has line breaking speed.

But it seems Pou might be the gift we needed. So I’m absolutely thrilled - especially as I and many others wanted him at that draft.

You would imagine clubs got spooked by your last point. What is his role at AFL level.

In NBA terms. He presents as a tweener. To big for the nimbler small forward/guard roles. To small for the Power forward/centre roles.

But his physical attributes are too hard to pass up and he has proven at every level he can rack up the ball and be insanely damaging.

Put him in the middle in the final after it looked like we were already gone. You do that to forge them in fire or as a Hail Mary.

An 18 year old just played 24 games of AFL football in his first season. Including a final.

A season which included Hangers and memorable goals.

His first 2 weeks back in pre season training… whilst still 18.

He churns out a third place in a club 3k time trial.

At 190cm and roughly 90 KGs.

If you can’t be excited about what you have seen thus far about this kid. Then knitting might be more your thing.

His consistency at AFL level could be a few more years away. It’s a journey I can’t wait to watch
Lots of players look good in their first season, but I'm not ready ATM to say he's definitely going to be a gun player.

Agree with all the things you said about him but also noticed the amount of one metre "no longer my problem" handballs he gives off, his general lack of awareness at times and his overall low possession count. (Must come from knitting while you watch the game, I think it gives you extra clarity and you can see a players game as a whole, not just a part.)

As I said - lots to get enthused about and he's highly likely to make it, but lets see what the first half of this season brings before we get too carried away.

I viewed NWM and Mitch the same after their first seasons, but am now happy to say I think both will be elite players in the comp. Now its over Mattaes to show it as well.

if he's a tweener then whayt is the Chito. I think he is actually a more natural MId then Chito. Mattaes has seriously slick hands, which is a trait of generealy, shorter, smaller mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if he's a tweener then whayt is the Chito. I think he is actually a more natural MId then Chito. Mattaes has seriously slick hands, which is a trait of generealy, shorter, smaller mids.
Chito is more of a mid then Mattaes I reckon.

He is an absolute bull.

He just looks a little unco with his ball movement - whereas it looks completely natural and text book with Phillipou.

We are assuming Mitch and Mattaes’s natural progression is to become midfielders.
Mitch’s junior career was initially as a small forward, then when he grew, played as a winger/ half forward.
Mattaes draft year was a forward mid, low possession high impact type.
Yes, they will get some time in our midfield, however, the bulk of the midfield minutes will be taken up by Steele, Crouch, Dow, Windhager & Sinclair, with Henry & Wood on the wings.
I’m hoping Garcia can eventually break into our onball brigade, as he has the traits to make an impact!
I think the aim with Pou is to play midfield, he played there a fair bit end of last year including in the final. I reckon Chito the same. Midfield is just such a crucial area of the ground, if those two become star mids it elevates us to the premiership window.

Phillipou starred in the Under-18s SANFL for Woodville-West Torrens, averaging 28 disposals and 1.5 goals per game. His ability to win the ground ball at his size is exceptional, and combines with an adept aerial game
Really promising isn't it. He hasn't had huge possessions at AFL level yet but I think that comes.

Chito is more of a mid then Mattaes I reckon.

He is an absolute bull.

He just looks a little unco with his ball movement - whereas it looks completely natural and text book with Phillipou.

I remember one of the first times Chito made us notice him was bursting out of the centre like Bont and his late draft year was where he started to get some attention once he moved on ball.

Interesting the difference in psychology between them. Phillipou looks like he know how good he is where Chito looks like he still surprises himself sometimes.

very few under age players if any have massive quantity disposal impact in senior football. I think a better level to look at is quarter possession potential. Specifically I remember in the Collingwood game I think he had like 9 touches in the first Q and about 13/14 to the half before becoming tired.

- for him to get some easier footy, I think we'll start seeing him use his run to get kicks/marks not just contested possesions. Ie Nas/Sincs

He certainly has the ability to find plenty of footy. Playing as a high half forward/ stay at home forward seems to be his role at the moment. Once he gets more time on ball his numbers should rise.

"His surge up the predicted draft order came after a scintillating finish to his SANFL Under 18 stint, averaging 33 disposals in his final four games."

Seriously doubt the kid’s going anywhere..why would he with quality coaching & great environment

Ross Lyon is probably the right coach for Matteas. Doubt he'd try to pull him back and he'd absolutely love his dedication to craft and improvement. Fyfe was always managed perfectly by Lyon. Fyfe was the type that could break cultures if not for really good management and he did it well.

Well that’s good gossip to hear about Pou
I was a little worried he might want to come back to SA and be a star for the crows and I’d have to dig my eyes out with a spoon

From what I've heard, many people who escape are grateful.

( The word "gossip" must have made me think of this ).

All the king's horses all the king's men
Wouldn't drag me back again
to Adelaide, Adelaide, Adelaide, Adelaide

Ross Lyon is probably the right coach for Matteas. Doubt he'd try to pull him back and he'd absolutely love his dedication to craft and improvement. Fyfe was always managed perfectly by Lyon. Fyfe was the type that could break cultures if not for really good management and he did it well.
Like to reinforce what has been posted numerous times, Pou is still 18, should have been in this years draft.
Played 24 games and has a preseason under his belt.
The cockiness is not a problem, saw it knocked out of him starkly on the big stage facing the rampant GWS mids. I stick by that he was given a HUGE lesson in what it takes to play with his big boy pants on. I dont see cockiness, I see determination and that lesson would have given him 10 games extra experience.
If he had of been drafted a year before I would be worried about him going home, however the training and the coaches are like chalk and cheese comparing Ratten to Lyon.
I am excited what Pou did in his rookie year, the fact he failed in the biggest game of his life, the fact he has a full season under his belt and he has an aim to be the best in the AFL. Will he achieve that? Don't know, but love the determination.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back