Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Who presented #16 and #18 to D'Ambrosio and Chol?
Will former 19 holder Gunner present the jumper to Jack?

Dog Fetching GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to the open training today, there was lots going on with various different groups so hard to track everything but a couple of observations on those I was watching near me.

Mackenzie - wasn’t working with the main group, but doing some kicking drills, his kicking (including left foot) was sublime - looked stronger.
Wiz - kicks them from all angles and leads/marks strongly even when it was raining. I think he’s going to be an asset during the winter months with his ability to hit packs/crumb.
Weddle - future leader, was helping/encouraging other players complete running drills (including running alongside to help them finish strong).
Hardwick - trained with the forwards, so this looks like its happening.
DGB - trained with the backs, including doing the kick outs rotating with Sicily.
Ramsden - played deep in the forward line in the sims I was watching.
Finn - after the sims, was working solo with one of the coaches specifically on his kicking to the I50, and hitting a leading target.

Overall the match sim type drills seemed focused on fast ball movement (a lot via handball) and moving the ball through different sides of the ground (almost kinda zig zagging).

PS. DGB came over to my 12yo son after training, and bet him 10 push ups he could kick the goal from boundary about 40 out. DGB went and slotted it through, made him to do the pushups then wrote a personalised note and autograph for him. Great stuff.

Last edited:
I went to the open training today, there was lots going on with various different groups so hard to track everything but a couple of observations on those I was watching near me.

McKenzie - wasn’t working with the main group, but doing some kicking drills, his kicking (including left foot) was sublime - looked stronger.
Wiz - kicks them from all angles and leads/marks strongly even when it was raining. I think he’s going to be an asset during the winter months with his ability to hit packs/crumb.
Weddle - future leader, was helping/encouraging other players complete running drills (including running alongside to help them finish strong).
DGB - trained with the backs, including doing the kick outs rotating with Sicily.
Finn - after the sims, was working solo with one of the coaches specifically on his kicking to the I50, and hitting a leading target.

Overall the match sim type drills seemed focused on fast ball movement (a lot via handball) and moving the ball through different sides of the ground (almost kinda zig zagging).

PS. DGB came over to my 12yo son after training, and bet him 10 push ups he could kick the goal from boundary about 40 out. DGB went and slotted it through, made him to do the pushups then wrote a personalised note and autograph for him. Great stuff.
Awesome. Love this.

McKenzie - wasn’t working with the main group, but doing some kicking drills, his kicking (including left foot) was sublime - looked stronger.

Loving that theres serious enthusiasm and optimism being shown

Don't let the journos read this, next thing you know there will be a 'DGB bullies kid' headline.

Also not sure I mentioned this in the write up of Thursday's session - but I saw both Ward and Mackenzie pull off nice kicks with their opposites whilst on the move. It will be such an underrated skill and a huge plus for the side if we get multiple players that can do that (remember that brilliant piece of play from Newcombe vs the Doggies). I think Watson is decent on his other foot too.

This stuff is freaking fantastic. I'd reckon your son will remember that for the rest of his life. And massive props to DGB for doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back