Training 2024 Preseason Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The text says:

Attended Tullamarine at The Hanger this morning.
Breakfast, then down to watch the players train for a while.
Then back upstairs to listen to Dan McPherson. Then a Q & A Dan stated Hunter will be having surgery in next wk or 2
Today the players would have match simulations of 3 x 15 mins
Each week they'll play more minutes. Then should be ready come round one.
Players brought in have given us depth and should be able to cover if injuries.
Perkins and Ridley a bit sore start of week. Nothing wrong with either. But club will be taking a conservative approach.
Jona Segal who is Kokkinakis strength and conditioning coach, and works at club part time. Will be leaving Kokkinakis team and coming to club full time, mid year.
Jake has been doing sprint work with Jona. Jake Stringer had a very noticeable shuffle when he ran. As Dan commented on his shuffle "If you had of seen his shuffle that was shown on the screen last week. You would have noticed the considerable difference now in his running.
Draper touch and go for round 1 and is in good shape.
Bryan's job is to go past Goldy and there will be a healthy competition between our 3 rucks.
Dan was asked why Jayden Davey wasn't played in the fl. As he was well and truly over his rehab.
Said wasn't worth building him up for a few games. Said he wasn't in great shape and didn't think it was worth the risk.
Didn't want to push him
Jayden went home at Xmas and came back in great shape.
Said he will be playing fl round 1
Dan talked about getting outside expertise in the field of injuries for over 200 cm sports people. They were high risk of injuries and needed to change their program in the gym and other work. They needed to concentrate on their lower back and hips.
Build up the strength in these areas.
Certain movements in gym high risk
Commenced new core program for those guys. Reid finally on the track and joining in with match sim. Said hopefully injuries behind him.
Our leadership group will be slightly bigger this year.
Lewis Hayes might not play a lot of fl, but that's not to say he isn't improving.
On Caddy "Caddy's very raw and has a lot to learn. He's going to be a good player and could be ready round 1 or could play a block of games.
Hope I've got everything correct. If not I'm sure the ones who also attended will have their input.

Love these reports. So much depth.

This;
Dan talked about getting outside expertise in the field of injuries for over 200 cm sports people. They were high risk of injuries and needed to change their program in the gym and other work. They needed to concentrate on their lower back and hips.

left me bemused. Never too late I suppose. 🙄

This;

I don’t think it’s overly surprising, it would be pretty uncommon for S&C people (outside maybe the NBA) to work with a large sample of guys that tall.

You’ve got some who are pretty durable that don’t need anything special and others (like Reid) seem to have issues related to their growth / height that you wouldn’t deal with all that often.

I’d rather they admit they could know more and improve than pretend they’re already doing best practice at everything.

This;

they were doing that mid-last year, consulting someone from cricket or something. guessing since it was a Q&A someone asked and that was the answer though

I don’t think it’s overly surprising, it would be pretty uncommon for S&C people (outside maybe the NBA) to work with a large sample of guys that tall.

You’ve got some who are pretty durable that don’t need anything special and others (like Reid) seem to have issues related to their growth / height that you wouldn’t deal with all that often.

I’d rather they admit they could know more and improve than pretend they’re already doing best practice at everything.
I was thinking of all the Gumbleton issues, which is why I said it's never too late, but I don't recall if we had other injuries to talls at the time. I'm glad they're talking about it too. Much more professional.

Apparently there was a notable lift in application and effort after that mark, from Cox, Tsatas and Jones in particular.
We are finally getting some depth in key areas where if fit all cannot be in the seniors at the same time. Competition for spots is a catalyst for hunger. The penny will hopefully drop for players who might become fringe overnight.

Harry got to the front a lot but did hold as many marks as he could have done.

Tsatas has great quick hands in close. Kicked okay but did mung a couple at full pace when he did not steady.

Wright took a few marks in the second half of the sim .

Hard to get an exact feel for it as it is played at about 95% and one side was slightly stronger although some players did swap half way.

Someone will know but I do no remember seeing Ridley. Back six in the black jumpers was McKay / Reid / Laverde / Martin / McGrath / Redman for 90% of the time .
Martin half back rebounding is fine.... i do question his defensive ability.. not sure theres a defensive bone in his body

Where was N.Cox? Red jumper

Martin half back rebounding is fine.... i do question his defensive ability.. not sure theres a defensive bone in his body

Where was N.Cox? Red jumper

Much like every team if his job is to be the designated kicker out of back 50 he will not be asked to do much defending and Durham/Duursma/Heppell will be covering him from the wing position.

I’d say Reid’s a lock.
Caddy honestly not sure he’s looking very good and he’s going to be hard to leave out but… there are quite a few taller/low pressure forwards you’d have in the side (Langford, Wright, Stringer + 2 Rucks)

Suspect he might get games if there’s injuries or if one of that group gets rested but right now probably on the outside
I hope weve moved beyond 2 rucks....unless serious injury

Touch wood injury looking very good right now

HJ, Stringer, Reid, Cox, Tsatas getting some genuine continuity here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much like every team if his job is to be the designated kicker out of back 50 he will not be asked to do much defending and Durham/Duursma/Heppell will be covering him from the wing position.
Teams are too good at exploiting defenders who cant defend... im not totally against it. He will dominate there and his change of angles setup play is elite, when hes wing he basically plays half back

Everyone needs to be able to defend. Not everyone has to be T.Stewart/Maynard levels

Sometimes you have to concede something to get something. I still think Hind is undersold.

Plays like his career is on the line, speed, change of direction is elite for a slow backline and hes imporved his defensive game, good age. We always look far better with him in the side. I think our smaller mids love his quick rebound as they rely on space and not 1 v 1s (which is slower rebound play)

We already have capable kickers in Redman, Ridley and Mcgrath as designated. Hinds stats are all elite in kicking aswell.

Vanders boy also got out marked 5 Zip against Bryan in the marking drills. Has ability and reads it well but still needs some strength despite the big shoulders.

Perris is the ex Saints guy.
What drill was this?

how many did none get marked by either (Assuming Hayes didnt mark any)

L.Hayes go vs a 203cm, 105kg ruck he is never going to win many with someone popping up marks 1 v1 from 30m away. In general play it would be a different story, no ball comes in like that.

they were doing that mid-last year, consulting someone from cricket or something. guessing since it was a Q&A someone asked and that was the answer though
From memory they were talking to whoever it was that rehabbed Cumdog's back issues early in his career

This;

I liked that bit, knowing we are actually/finally trying to fix the issue.

I hope weve moved beyond 2 rucks....unless serious injury

Touch wood injury looking very good right now

HJ, Stringer, Reid, Cox, Tsatas getting some genuine continuity here

No team plays 1 ruck 100% game time. It just doesn’t happen. There’s degrees of split/chop out vs 50/50 ect but all teams have 2x rucks typically 1 pure ruck and 1 ruck forward.

So unless you’re suggesting Wright as R2 which he’s better off not playing then someone is going to be in that spot

No team plays 1 ruck 100% game time. It just doesn’t happen. There’s degrees of split/chop out vs 50/50 ect but all teams have 2x rucks typically 1 pure ruck and 1 ruck forward.

So unless you’re suggesting Wright as R2 which he’s better off not playing then someone is going to be in that spot
Where did i say someone wouldnt chop out?

You on one hand just said all teams play 2 rucks and then straight after that say (1 Ruck and 1 Forward). We can have 1 ruck and 7 Forwards based on that definition and its what we should be doing

H.Jones or 2MP should be the chop out ruck if were fit

I dont define rucks as guys who play 75% FWD and 15% Ruck, like your implying you do

Teams are too good at exploiting defenders who cant defend... im not totally against it. He will dominate there and his change of angles setup play is elite, when hes wing he basically plays half back

Everyone needs to be able to defend. Not everyone has to be T.Stewart/Maynard levels

Sometimes you have to concede something to get something. I still think Hind is undersold.

Plays like his career is on the line, speed, change of direction is elite for a slow backline and hes imporved his defensive game, good age. We always look far better with him in the side. I think our smaller mids love his quick rebound as they rely on space and not 1 v 1s (which is slower rebound play)

We already have capable kickers in Redman, Ridley and Mcgrath as designated. Hinds stats are all elite in kicking aswell.
Maynard levels? We want our guys to play the ball not the man

Where did i say someone wouldnt chop out?

You on one hand just said all teams play 2 rucks and then straight after that say (1 Ruck and 1 Forward). We can have 1 ruck and 7 Forwards based on that definition and its what we should be doing

H.Jones or 2MP should be the chop out ruck if were fit

I dont define rucks as guys who play 75% FWD and 15% Ruck, like your implying you do

Yeah fair enough on definitions

Personally I count any player expected to play ruck minutes as a ruck

I’m just saying if Draper and Wright are 2 of the front half talls then Goldy, Bryan, Jones, Caddy are all basically competing for the same spot.

Did Tex Wanganeen make any appearance? I belive he is either still injured or recovering from a major injury he suffered late lalst year.

Tex wasn't sighted all morning, nor Shiel

Ridley was in gym clothes, came out between breaks to chat with others and observe.
Perkins was on rehab oval for a while and joined a few drills and rehab, observed some others
- reading both these guys had soreness earlier in the week

Watching Stringer work with a performance guy early with strange movement exercises, maybe activating muscles. Reading about this tennis guy i'll be checking his running alot more now. Packo trained really well, chased and tackled hard, alot in the midfield and looked in great shape

Did see Caldwell tag out of drills early and do some on the rehab oval then disappear. apart from looking really tanned, didn't look like an injury, maybe workloads or soreness

Archie Roberts stood out with some HFF work, beautiful kicking style and pace about him. still very lean and adjusting to the pace of AFL match sim

Tex wasn't sighted all morning, nor Shiel

Ridley was in gym clothes, came out between breaks to chat with others and observe.
Perkins was on rehab oval for a while and joined a few drills and rehab, observed some others
- reading both these guys had soreness earlier in the week

Watching Stringer work with a performance guy early with strange movement exercises, maybe activating muscles. Reading about this tennis guy i'll be checking his running alot more now. Packo trained really well, chased and tackled hard, alot in the midfield and looked in great shape

Did see Caldwell tag out of drills early and do some on the rehab oval then disappear. apart from looking really tanned, didn't look like an injury, maybe workloads or soreness

Archie Roberts stood out with some HFF work, beautiful kicking style and pace about him. still very lean and adjusting to the pace of AFL match sim
This couldn't of been this mornings training report.
Cause Dylan Shiel and tex wanganeen were definitely there having a kick with the rehab group which included McKay,weed, McGrath, Langford.
Didn't see Draper,laverde,Hobbs,Ridley or stringer.
Perkins did most of the stuff.
I was there from 9.00( they came out onto the track at 9.40) until 11.20. And not 1 player went over to the 2nd oval all morning

The text says:

Attended Tullamarine at The Hanger this morning.
Breakfast, then down to watch the players train for a while.
Then back upstairs to listen to Dan McPherson. Then a Q & A Dan stated Hunter will be having surgery in next wk or 2
Today the players would have match simulations of 3 x 15 mins
Each week they'll play more minutes. Then should be ready come round one.
Players brought in have given us depth and should be able to cover if injuries.
Perkins and Ridley a bit sore start of week. Nothing wrong with either. But club will be taking a conservative approach.
Jona Segal who is Kokkinakis strength and conditioning coach, and works at club part time. Will be leaving Kokkinakis team and coming to club full time, mid year.
Jake has been doing sprint work with Jona. Jake Stringer had a very noticeable shuffle when he ran. As Dan commented on his shuffle "If you had of seen his shuffle that was shown on the screen last week. You would have noticed the considerable difference now in his running.
Draper touch and go for round 1 and is in good shape.
Bryan's job is to go past Goldy and there will be a healthy competition between our 3 rucks.
Dan was asked why Jayden Davey wasn't played in the fl. As he was well and truly over his rehab.
Said wasn't worth building him up for a few games. Said he wasn't in great shape and didn't think it was worth the risk.
Didn't want to push him
Jayden went home at Xmas and came back in great shape.
Said he will be playing fl round 1
Commenced new core program for those guys. Reid finally on the track and joining in with match sim. Said hopefully injuries behind him.
Our leadership group will be slightly bigger this year.
Lewis Hayes might not play a lot of fl, but that's not to say he isn't improving.
On Caddy "Caddy's very raw and has a lot to learn. He's going to be a good player and could be ready round 1 or could play a block of games.
Hope I've got everything correct. If not I'm sure the ones who also attended will have their input.

We got the wrong one, should've been Seagal, not Segal! This club.....

Steven Seagal La GIF

Have to say that now that I have seen 3 match sims I still have concerns with our ability to come up with a plan B due to our average marking ability down the line. All three I have seen have showed we will get exposed if sides force us into the down the line kick due to a solid midfield zone which will happen. We still need to transition some new players to fix this. Caddy looks like he will help but it will more likely be 2026 before he consistently becomes a strong target even if he is playing a fair bit of footy. Jones has to start converting more of his opportunities into marks.
The flip side is the defense looks strong. Even the red defenders where taking a lot of intercept marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Preseason Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back