Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
i like to do these as an exercise, it creates discussion and can shine a light on who our best players are at current, it is an opinion piece so i welcome people to share their own opinions about where they think each player should be ranked

1. [B]Dylan Moore[/B] - with Sicily, Newcombe and Day having down years with form or injury, Moore has been an important player, kicking important goals and giving us a forward target and a pinch hitting mid
2. Will Day - even though his stats are down and he was injured for a large part, he is still a champion player and gives us a more balanced midfield with his evasion and break away abilities
3. [B]James Worpel[/B] - he really is our only in and under contested midfielder and we rely on him to feed others or to get his effective chaos balls forward
4. [B]James Sicily[/B] - he isnt having his most impactful season off half back this year, but is still an important part of our defensive set up for intercepts or counter attacks
5. [B]Sam Frost[/B] - a surprise packet this season, he hasnt turned it over or panicked very often this season and has done some big jobs on key forwards for us
6. Jarman Impey - since being added to the leadersip group last year he has been fantastic for us from half back
7. [B]Jack Scrimshaw[/B] - he has started to take over the role at CHB that Sicily has been playing, taking the 2nd tall and intercepting, he has really improved this season
8. Jai Newcombe - it hasnt been his best season, still a very good player, but we need more high level output from him
9. Jack Ginnivan - he has been very good as that high half forward role he played the premiers last year, where he floats forward and kicks goals, but he also transitions into the midfield at times during general play
10. [B]Blake Hardwick[/B] - becoming a very flexible player, playing at times forward and back, has kicked a few bags and then defended with aggression
11. Lloyd Meek - has developed into a competitive ruck who can win clearances and affect the game in general play which was Reeves weakness as a ruck, has surpassed Reeves atm
12. [B]Karl Amon[/B] - a previously all australian wing, playing in defence, has been ok, but i would rather he play to his strengths
13. Massimo D'Ambrossio - has come into the team and impacted immediately, he is in good form atm and is a bit of a surprise packet
14. Mitch Lewis - started off the year in very poor form, then got injured again, where is he at? with Chol and Dear taking his spot and performing better than he has this year, i dont know where he stands? injury plagued his whole career.
15. Conor Nash - has not had his best year, but gives us something different when it works, i have liked his tackling of late
16. Josh Weddle - has not been as highlight worthy this season, but is still a talented player developing
17. [B]Mabior Chol[/B] - he has the ability to play at a high level, but seems to only do it in spurts, dropped a few marks he should take, but generally doing a good job up forward contesting
18. [B]Jack Gunston[/B] - has returned to the club and has looked in good form, pairs well with Dear
19. Seamus Mitchell - has allowed us the flexibility of using Hardwick forward, speed and a good negating small defender
20. Connor MacDonald - has had a mixed bag this season, some good and bad, but when he turns it on he can be a game winner
21. Calsher Dear - has come into the team and he looks like he belongs, calm under pressure and takes the ball at the highest point which are good traits for the future
22. James Blanck - even though he is injured, i still think he has a future playing the key defender role that Frost is dominating at this season
23. [B]Chad Wingard[/B] - a quality forward that is coming back from injury, he was getting close to his best before his unfortunate injury late last year
24. Cam MacKenzie - starting to show improvement and being comfortable at the level, still needs some improvement, but is developing well
25. [B]Changkuoth Jiath[/B] - injury upset preseason, has come out and played well since returning
26. Nick Watson - he hasnt had luck in front of the sticks which could be nerves, but he demonstrates speed, good movement, he has had opportunities and if his 4.11 was 11.4 in 6 games people would be more hyped imo
27. Ned Reeves - he has become the backup ruck now that Meek has hit good form, but is a capable backup
28. [B]Harry Morrison[/B] - out of favour winger, still has the ability, but isnt being played because of potential weaknesses others dont have?
29. [B]Luke Breust[/B] - looks to be in the twilight of his career, wonderful player that isnt performing very well this season and looks to be struggling at the level
30. Josh Ward - a player that is struggling to find his position to best perform, has moments where he isnt aware of opponents, which has hurt him
31. Henry Hustwaite - was fantastic in preseason and for the small amount of game time he has had in his few games this year at AFL level, maybe fitness is a concern? but he has rare composure in congestion
32. Jai Serong - was given an opportunity recently and looked OK
33. Ethan Phillips - had a debut game in which he took a few marks and looked composed
34. Finn Maginness - kicked a few goals as a forward, but is struggling to find a role that isnt tagger at AFL level
35. Max Ramsden - had a couple games, but didnt really impress, although it was during our poor form and play style period
36. Bodie Ryan - he has looked good as a defender since being drafted
37. Josh Bennetts - really good half forward who is on the rookie list, playing good footy at VFL level
38. Will McCabe - even though he is injured, i really like his speed and potential as a 197cm player
39. Jasper Scaife - has just been recruited via the MSD, but im hoping he is playing better than those below him in this rankings
40. Sam Butler - hasnt played much good footy recently, 10 goals in 4 games at VFL level, but seems to not have the finishing power at the AFL level yet
41. Jack O'Sullivan - 9 goals in 5 games isnt too bad at VFL level
42. Bailey MacDonald - looked to improve on his physical strength in preseason, but hasnt set the world on fire and has been injured
43. Denver Grainger-Barras - injured in pre-season, really needs a good season imo
44. Cooper Stephens - averaging 14 disposals in 4 games at BHH this year, not doing great
45. Clay Tucker - a ruck who has endurance issues, im not sure about this pick up?

Q.
Did Mackenzie draft Dylan Moore?

i like to do these as an exercise, it creates discussion and can shine a light on who our best players are at current, it is an opinion piece so i welcome people to share their own opinions about where they think each player should be ranked

1. Dylan Moore - with Sicily, Newcombe and Day having down years with form or injury, Moore has been an important player, kicking important goals and giving us a forward target and a pinch hitting mid
2. Will Day - even though his stats are down and he was injured for a large part, he is still a champion player and gives us a more balanced midfield with his evasion and break away abilities
3. James Worpel - he really is our only in and under contested midfielder and we rely on him to feed others or to get his effective chaos balls forward
4. James Sicily - he isnt having his most impactful season off half back this year, but is still an important part of our defensive set up for intercepts or counter attacks
5. Sam Frost - a surprise packet this season, he hasnt turned it over or panicked very often this season and has done some big jobs on key forwards for us
6. Jarman Impey - since being added to the leadersip group last year he has been fantastic for us from half back
7. Jack Scrimshaw - he has started to take over the role at CHB that Sicily has been playing, taking the 2nd tall and intercepting, he has really improved this season
8. Jai Newcombe - it hasnt been his best season, still a very good player, but we need more high level output from him
9. Jack Ginnivan - he has been very good as that high half forward role he played the premiers last year, where he floats forward and kicks goals, but he also transitions into the midfield at times during general play
10. Blake Hardwick - becoming a very flexible player, playing at times forward and back, has kicked a few bags and then defended with aggression
11. Lloyd Meek - has developed into a competitive ruck who can win clearances and affect the game in general play which was Reeves weakness as a ruck, has surpassed Reeves atm
12. Karl Amon - a previously all australian wing, playing in defence, has been ok, but i would rather he play to his strengths
13. Massimo D'Ambrossio - has come into the team and impacted immediately, he is in good form atm and is a bit of a surprise packet
14. Mitch Lewis - started off the year in very poor form, then got injured again, where is he at? with Chol and Dear taking his spot and performing better than he has this year, i dont know where he stands? injury plagued his whole career.
15. Conor Nash - has not had his best year, but gives us something different when it works, i have liked his tackling of late
16. Josh Weddle - has not been as highlight worthy this season, but is still a talented player developing
17. Mabior Chol - he has the ability to play at a high level, but seems to only do it in spurts, dropped a few marks he should take, but generally doing a good job up forward contesting
18. Jack Gunston - has returned to the club and has looked in good form, pairs well with Dear
19. Seamus Mitchell - has allowed us the flexibility of using Hardwick forward, speed and a good negating small defender
20. Connor MacDonald - has had a mixed bag this season, some good and bad, but when he turns it on he can be a game winner
21. Calsher Dear - has come into the team and he looks like he belongs, calm under pressure and takes the ball at the highest point which are good traits for the future
22. James Blanck - even though he is injured, i still think he has a future playing the key defender role that Frost is dominating at this season
23. Chad Wingard - a quality forward that is coming back from injury, he was getting close to his best before his unfortunate injury late last year
24. Cam MacKenzie - starting to show improvement and being comfortable at the level, still needs some improvement, but is developing well
25. Changkuoth Jiath - injury upset preseason, has come out and played well since returning
26. Nick Watson - he hasnt had luck in front of the sticks which could be nerves, but he demonstrates speed, good movement, he has had opportunities and if his 4.11 was 11.4 in 6 games people would be more hyped imo
27. Ned Reeves - he has become the backup ruck now that Meek has hit good form, but is a capable backup
28. Harry Morrison - out of favour winger, still has the ability, but isnt being played because of potential weaknesses others dont have?
29. Luke Breust - looks to be in the twilight of his career, wonderful player that isnt performing very well this season and looks to be struggling at the level
30. Josh Ward - a player that is struggling to find his position to best perform, has moments where he isnt aware of opponents, which has hurt him
31. Henry Hustwaite - was fantastic in preseason and for the small amount of game time he has had in his few games this year at AFL level, maybe fitness is a concern? but he has rare composure in congestion
33. Ethan Phillips - had a debut game in which he took a few marks and looked composed
34. Finn Maginness - kicked a few goals as a forward, but is struggling to find a role that isnt tagger at AFL level
35. Max Ramsden - had a couple games, but didnt really impress, although it was during our poor form and play style period
37. Josh Bennetts - really good half forward who is on the rookie list, playing good footy at VFL level
38. Will McCabe - even though he is injured, i really like his speed and potential as a 197cm player
39. Jasper Scaife - has just been recruited via the MSD, but im hoping he is playing better than those below him in this rankings
40. Sam Butler - hasnt played much good footy recently, 10 goals in 4 games at VFL level, but seems to not have the finishing power at the AFL level yet
42. Bailey MacDonald - looked to improve on his physical strength in preseason, but hasnt set the world on fire and has been injured
43. Denver Grainger-Barras - injured in pre-season, really needs a good season imo
44. Cooper Stephens - averaging 14 disposals in 4 games at BHH this year, not doing great
45. Clay Tucker - a ruck who has endurance issues, im not sure about this pick up?
Great work.

We’re not far off it and I’m proud of the work the boys have done to get this far.

1. Dylan Moore - with Sicily, Newcombe and Day having down years with form or injury, Moore has been an important player, kicking important goals and giving us a forward target and a pinch hitting mid
3. James Worpel - he really is our only in and under contested midfielder and we rely on him to feed others or to get his effective chaos balls forward
4. James Sicily - he isnt having his most impactful season off half back this year, but is still an important part of our defensive set up for intercepts or counter attacks
5. Sam Frost - a surprise packet this season, he hasnt turned it over or panicked very often this season and has done some big jobs on key forwards for us
7. Jack Scrimshaw - he has started to take over the role at CHB that Sicily has been playing, taking the 2nd tall and intercepting, he has really improved this season
10. Blake Hardwick - becoming a very flexible player, playing at times forward and back, has kicked a few bags and then defended with aggression
12. Karl Amon - a previously all australian wing, playing in defence, has been ok, but i would rather he play to his strengths
17. Mabior Chol - he has the ability to play at a high level, but seems to only do it in spurts, dropped a few marks he should take, but generally doing a good job up forward contesting
18. Jack Gunston - has returned to the club and has looked in good form, pairs well with Dear
23. Chad Wingard - a quality forward that is coming back from injury, he was getting close to his best before his unfortunate injury late last year
25. Changkuoth Jiath - injury upset preseason, has come out and played well since returning
28. Harry Morrison - out of favour winger, still has the ability, but isnt being played because of potential weaknesses others dont have?
29. Luke Breust - looks to be in the twilight of his career, wonderful player that isnt performing very well this season and looks to be struggling at the level
Thanks for this great list, pretty spot as of right now I reckon . 👍

Pretty good list, well done :thumbsu:

Id have Massimo in our top ten now and Meek would be pushing top five.

Also I know Frosty is having a good season but hes probably a little high (I would have him 10 - 15)

I like that you rated Impey highly, really hes been a very good pickup since he came over from Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Ranking Hawthorns List

Remove this Banner Ad

Back