Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Roos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it's important to not have opposition points as the sole measurement of success for defence. It's important to take in to consideration where those scores came.

We conceded a number of goals directly out of the middle - not really a strike against the defence. We also conceded something like 44 points from turnover, so not really giving our defence time set up when it comes back quickly because we've coughed it up.

When our forwards and mids did their part further up the ground, we seemed to set up better defensively yesterday. We're just not doing it often enough lately which, again, is not really a reflection of the defence.

When I talk about defence, I’m referring to the team, not the defenders, our defenders are doing a good job most games, but they are struggling with the amount of inside 50s and the speed and lack of pressure those kicks come in.

I blame our clubs inability to keep opposition scores low, on the midfield/stoppage set ups, up the ground.

The second half was a better showing but we still allowed North to get easy goals from inside 50 stoppages.

It was 21 scoring shots according to afl.com.au, from 56 I50 entries, which is slightly better than our 53.

However you want to cut it, we conceded 88 points against the 17th ranked side, we have let through over 300 points the last 3 games and we are 15th for points against.
I think it's interesting how on one hand when discussing results - win/loss - the comp is celebrated for being as even as it's ever been, but when discussing stats - points against - it's a point against us.

Three weeks ago, we sat second on the points against ladder with the best conversation to score from kick in; coming off three substandard performances including two losses, we're now 15th in the former and the second worst in the latter. While I agree that it's not a good thing, it's not something that's tremendously illustrative of a greater trend because of how even the comp is.

Fact is, right now stats can be manipulated to say pretty much whatever narrative you want them to say and the media knows it. Team rankings are worth lickspittle in isolation at present, because a single good game can send you from middling to the top.

Three weeks ago, we sat second on the points against ladder with the best conversation to score from kick in; coming off three substandard performances including two losses, we're now 15th in the former and the second worst in the latter. While I agree that it's not a good thing, it's not something that's tremendously illustrative of a greater trend because of how even the comp is.

After round 16, going off points against, we were 15th and yes i get your point regarding stats, Our inability to limit our opposition to big scores isn’t new.

Unless I’ve misunderstood your comment above.

Total points against is a pretty simple metric to me and a good measurement of where we sit against our opponents.

After round 16, going off points against, we were 15th and yes i get your point regarding stats, Our inability to limit our opposition to big scores isn’t new.

Unless I’ve misunderstood your comment above.

Total points against is a pretty simple metric to me and a good measurement of where we sit against our opponents.
Percentage is a much more accurate measurement of where teams sit against their opponents

When I talk about defence, I’m referring to the team, not the defenders, our defenders are doing a good job most games, but they are struggling with the amount of inside 50s and the speed and lack of pressure those kicks come in.

I blame our clubs inability to keep opposition scores low, on the midfield/stoppage set ups, up the ground.

The second half was a better showing but we still allowed North to get easy goals from inside 50 stoppages.

Totally agree 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Back